PDA

View Full Version : How to Deal with Telemarketers

LH Panther Mom
01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
How To Deal with Telemarketers
1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.

2. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems; my arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died..."

3. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located, how long it has been in business, how many people work there, how they got into this line of work, are they married?, kids?, etc. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

4. Cry out in surprise,"Judy! Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.

5. Say "No", over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

6. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as SINISTER a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends... would you be my friend?"

7. After the Telemarketer gives their spiel, ask him/her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you could not just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.

8. Tell the Telemarketer that you work for the same company, they often can't sell to employees.

9. Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a Telemarketer, set the receiver down, shout or scream, "Oh No!!!" and then hang up.

10. Tell the Telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask him/her if he/she will give you his/her HOME phone number so you can call him/her back. When the Telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their HOME numbers you say "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The Telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me, either!" Hang up.

11. Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.

12. Tell them it is dinner time, BUT ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation.

13. Tell the Telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you a pizza.

14. Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.

15. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Jeff, playing a joke. "Come on Jeff, cut it out! Seriously, Jeff, how's your mom?"

16. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up... louder... louder...louder...

17. Tell them to talk VERY SLOWLY, because you want to write EVERY WORD down.

neck_06
01-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

10. Tell the Telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask him/her if he/she will give you his/her HOME phone number so you can call him/her back. When the Telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their HOME numbers you say "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The Telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me, either!" Hang up.

i saw this in action on seinfeld

Bearkat
01-10-2006, 02:14 PM
[i]

16. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up... louder... louder...louder...

[/B]

This one would be funny. They would have to keep raising their voice until they were yelling. Everyone that works with them would be staring.:evillaugh

football4life
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Caller ID is the best way to deal with telemarketers.

Stretch04
01-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Put your 2 year old on the phone. (If you have one).

Buccaneer
01-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Caller ID is the best way to deal with telemarketers.

Correct! I don't even answer the phone if I don't recognize the name or number.

lostaussie
01-10-2006, 02:49 PM
i haven't been bothered since i signed up for that no call list.

Intensity
01-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Just put your number on the do not call list. Although these suggestions are hilarious. I'll rember some of them just in case.

lostaussie
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Intensity
Just put your number on the do not call list. Although these suggestions are hilarious. I'll rember some of them just in case. welcome aboard "intensity"

Highschoolfan78
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I used to always tell them that my parents were sky-diving at the moment and maybe would be back from their hospital visit in a month. Or I would tell them that they were goin around the world in a balloon at the moment and wont be back for a few hours. Ya i know pretty cheesy, but it always stumped 'em.

zeus63
01-10-2006, 03:02 PM
What's really funny is, and I don't know if any companies still do this, some of those people are not allowed to hang up on thier call, so just say "hang on" and leave the phone off the hook. I tried this once to see if it would work. Came back about 15 minutes later and the guy was still on the phone.

pirate44
01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i haven't been bothered since i signed up for that no call list.
we dont have any calls since we signed up.

before i would tell them to "hold" then id set the phone down and see how long they would stay on the line

i just now read this post :D

Originally posted by zeus63
What's really funny is, and I don't know if any companies still do this, some of those people are not allowed to hang up on thier call, so just say "hang on" and leave the phone off the hook. I tried this once to see if it would work. Came back about 15 minutes later and the guy was still on the phone.

RiverRatDad
01-10-2006, 03:08 PM
When the telemarketers would call on poker night the host would say "Just a sec" when they asked for him, put the phone down on the table, and we would resume play. He would then hang up the phone after it started beeping to say there was nobody on the line. You will soon get removed from the list if the seller has to waste time waiting to see if anyone is actually going to come to the phone. We always would get a kick out of this, as often rather colorful language would take place during the hands and we wondered what those folks most have been thinking.

fb_gurl
01-10-2006, 03:33 PM
My lil sister used to tell the telemarketers that if they couldn't pronounce our last name not to call back until they could and then she would hang up on them. It was pretty funny.

Ranger Mom
01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
I had an obscene caller call up here at work........he started telling me all about his attributes and what he was gonna do with them.

I proceeded to talk to him like he was calling me from a drilling rig, asking questions about what mud weight we were using, the viscosity, bit size, when we were gonna run casing, etc.

He got so flustered he hung up on me.....I think I "deflated" him!!:devil: :devil: :D

TexasHSFootball
01-10-2006, 04:13 PM
ever tried repeating word for word at them? they get so annoyed by it. :D

ftrmustangmom
01-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Correct! I don't even answer the phone if I don't recognize the name or number.

I am with you on that!!!

PPHSfan
01-11-2006, 08:36 AM

PPHSfan
01-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I had an obscene caller call up here at work........he started telling me all about his attributes and what he was gonna do with them.

I proceeded to talk to him like he was calling me from a drilling rig, asking questions about what mud weight we were using, the viscosity, bit size, when we were gonna run casing, etc.

He got so flustered he hung up on me.....I think I "deflated" him!!:devil: :devil: :D

I am still deflated. And I have asked everyone I know what the heck salt water has to do with oil. I am on a mission now to learn.

piratebg
01-11-2006, 08:40 AM
My dad mad the funniest greeting on his answering machine for the longest time.

"If your calling to sell somegthing, hang up. Or better yet, leave me your name and home number so that I can call you at the most inconvenient time. Give up it, man. If I know you, leave a message."

MARLINDOGS
01-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
ever tried repeating word for word at them? they get so annoyed by it. :D :thinking: I will try that next time.:D