PDA

View Full Version : Even more trouble for Marcus Vick...

Maroon87
01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Vick reportedly accused of brandishing firearm

FOXSports.com

Former Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick appears to have run afoul of the law again.

According to WAVY-TV in Hampton Roads, Va., Vick turned himself in to authorities Monday afternoon and is charged with three counts of brandishing a firearm Sunday night.
Police say they received a call from the parent of a 17-year-old who said that Vick had pointed a gun at her son and two others during an altercation at a McDonald's parking lot in Suffolk, Va.

Police responded to the scene, interviewed witnesses, and issued three misdemeanor warrants.

Vick is being held on a $10,000 bond. If Vick is convicted, he could face up to a year in jail and a $2,500 fine.

Vick decided to turn pro Saturday, one day after he was kicked off the team at Virginia Tech for transgressions on and off the field.

"I have decided to enter the NFL draft," the junior quarterback said in a three-paragraph statement released through his lawyers. "I am very excited about this opportunity and look forward to proving my athletic ability at the professional level. I believe I am ready for this challenge and the next chapter of my life."

Vick said he appreciated all the consideration and trust that Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer had placed in him during his stay at Virginia Tech, and said "I deeply regret that I allowed my competitive emotions to take control" in the Gator Bowl.

"To all of the Virginia Tech community, I sincerely apologize."

Virginia Tech cited the cumulative effects of Vick's legal problems and his unsportsmanlike conduct in the Jan. 2 bowl in dismissing him from the team Friday.

During the game, he was caught on tape stomping on the left calf of Louisville All-American defensive end Elvis Dumervil after a tackle. Vick claimed it was an accident, but school officials said Saturday they thought it looked intentional.

"We have received hundreds of letters from fans and alumni who are disturbed by what they saw," university president Charles Steger said at a Saturday news conference.

Beamer, who delivered the news of the dismissal to Vick and his mother in person, said he did not advise Vick on whether or not to turn pro, but told him during their meeting Friday that he would help him in any way he could when Vick made his decision.

The dismissal hit Vick's mother, Brenda Boddie, hard.

"I cried a lot yesterday," she said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "But we're just going to move on and make something positive out of this and Marcus is going to show everybody that he's not the person a lot of people claim he is."

She agreed that her son "did the wrong thing" and said she understood why Tech dismissed him, but said she resents seeing her son portrayed as a "monster."

Looking ashen, Beamer said he, Steger and Weaver agreed once all the evidence was in that the outcome had to be dismissal, but that made it no less disappointing.

"When I go into a home and talk about how I'm going to do my best to make everything at Virginia Tech turn out successful and be good and then it doesn't reach that - it's disappointing to me as a coach," the 19-year veteran coach said.

"I can tell you he's deeply hurt, he's deeply saddened. I can assure you this kid is very, very hurt, his mom is very, very hurt and I'm hurting with them."

Vick was suspended from school in 2004 because of several legal problems, and came under intense scrutiny again once because of replays of his actions against Dumervil. Vick claimed it was accidental, but hurt his cause by claiming to have apologized to Dumervil, the NCAA sacks leader. Dumervil said he received no such apology.

The last straw came Friday, even as Beamer was preparing to visit Vick and offer him the options of accepting a two-game suspension or deciding to leave Virginia Tech.

A fax sent to Steger's office disclosed that Vick had been stopped for driving 38 mph in a 25 mph zone and driving with a revoked or suspended license on Dec. 17. Vick had told Beamer about the ticket for driving on a suspended license on Dec. 19, Beamer said, but had never mentioned to anyone that he'd also been caught speeding.

Vick's license had been taken away in August 2004 when he was cited for reckless driving and marijuana possession, but had been reinstated until a friend driving a car owned by Vick was pulled over and found to not have insurance, Beamer said.

Vick received a citation as the car owner, but an investigation by the school revealed that getting his license reinstated was merely a formality, Beamer was told.

Vick entered this season trying to win his team's trust and knowing he would face hostility from opposing fans, mostly stemming from his drug arrest and another conviction for serving alcohol to underage girls during the 2003 school year.

He said he was ready for anything, but reacted to chants of "rapist!" and "child molester!" at West Virginia on Oct. 1 by gesturing obscenely toward the crowd. He met with Beamer afterward and apologized to the team and to Mountaineers fans.

Vick was the runner-up to Wake Forest's Chris Barclay, by one vote, as the conference's offensive player of the year, and was the league's first-team quarterback.

In 24 career games, the 6-foot, 212-pound Vick threw for 2,868 yards, 19 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He also ran 184 times for 492 yards and six TDs.

JasperDog94
01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
What team is going to take a chance on this thug?

injuredinmelee
01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What team is going to take a chance on this thug?
the raiders or Cowboys???

JasperDog94
01-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the raiders or Cowboys??? Bite your tongue!!!!....okay, maybe the raiders.

gobbler grad
01-09-2006, 04:52 PM
he's got one hell of a resume...he's catching up to Michael Irvin...:D :D

pirate4state
01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
:doh: :doh: I don't think that even "da Raiders" will take a chance on him. :eek:

Bullaholic
01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
And here's the truly sad part of stories like this---Marcus Vick will probably sign somewhere in the NFL--even at league minimum of 200k+ per year and we'll probably read about him holding up a 7-Eleven somewhere, sometime. Some strong male role model needs to grab a hold of this kid and "tough love" him to a correct lifestyle. Back in the "old" days, a tour in the military did wonders for some young, look-how-tough-I-am guys like this.

AggieJohn
01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
sounds like a good fit on the cowboys...

Buccaneer
01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
The last straw was a speeding ticket! Going 38 in a 25! What a thug!

shankbear
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Vick is just another punk thug puke dog out of the mold of Randy Moss and all the others of that type. He should be barred from ever playing football again.

GreenMonster
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
This guy must be a moron. Hopefully someone will tell him the story of a young man named Maurice Clarett.

wos fan1
01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Updated: Jan. 9, 2006, 5:39 PM ET
Marcus Vick arrested after saying he'll go proAssociated Press

RICHMOND, Va. -- Former Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick, booted from the team last week for his behavior on and off the field, was charged Monday with pulling a gun on three teenagers during an altercation in a restaurant parking lot.

Vick surrendered at the Suffolk magistrate's office after three warrants were issued for his arrest Sunday, Magistrate Lisa Noel said.

The 21-year-old Vick was charged with three misdemeanor counts of brandishing a firearm, and was released on $10,000 bond.

Police said the parents of a 17-year-old boy reported that Vick pointed a weapon at their son and two others during an altercation at a McDonald's in Suffolk, a southeastern Virginia city where Vick's mother lives, Sunday night.

If convicted of all three counts, Vick could be sentenced to up to three years in jail and a $7,500 fine, police spokeswoman Lt. Debbie George said in a statement.

On Friday, Virginia Tech kicked Vick off the team, citing the cumulative effects of numerous legal problems and his unsportsmanlike conduct in the Gator Bowl, where he was caught on tape stomping on the left calf of Louisville All-American Elvis Dumervil.

He also received a speeding ticket and a ticket for driving on a suspended license in Hampton on Dec. 17 while under a "zero tolerance" policy from Virginia Tech.

The policy was implemented when Vick was suspended in 2004 because of several legal problems. He later came under further scrutiny because of replays of his actions against Dumervil.

Vick claimed it was accidental, but hurt his cause by claiming to have apologized to Dumervil, the NCAA sacks leader. Dumervil said he received no such apology.

Saturday, Vick announced he had decided to turn pro.

A Virginia Tech spokesman said university officials would have no comment on Vick's arrest.

"At this point, I think the actions speak for themselves," the spokesman, Larry Hincker, said.

Vick is the younger brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick. He was the runner-up to Wake Forest's Chris Barclay, by one vote, as the Atlantic Coast Conference's offensive player of the year, and was the league's first-team quarterback.

In 24 career games, the 6-foot, 212-pound Vick threw for 2,868 yards, 19 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He also ran 184 times for 492 yards and six TDs.

Also SeeBooted from Hokies, Vick declares for NFL draft
Marcus Vick decided to turn ...

Hokies dismiss Vick
Marcus Vick told The ...

Adjust Font Size:

lostaussie
01-09-2006, 06:03 PM
already posted, but hey, nothing i like better than seeing marcus vick get lots of bad attention. Thug with a capital T

wos fan1
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
My bad!

Chris Hart
01-09-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't see anyone wasting a pick on this punk. The Lawrence Phillips and the Maurice Claretts of the world have helped the NFL in a sense, because I think the owners now think twice about wasting a pick on these delinquets. I guess big bro can support him for life.....:rolleyes:

j_dog
01-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Maybe Vick could/should arrange a fight with Mike Tyson. Maybe about the same caliber folks????

MARLINDOGS
01-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Maybe Vick could/should arrange a fight with Mike Tyson. Maybe about the same caliber folks???? Yeah I bet that would be a good one.

loyalleopard
01-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Stupid is as Stupid does. Would you want him on your team???

sww-bull52
01-10-2006, 08:14 AM
He'll be the next one arrested for shaking down old ladys for there social security checks.

Bearkat
01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
he's got one hell of a resume...he's catching up to Michael Irvin...:D :D

Marcus Vick isn't as smart as Irvin. #1 Irvin at least had a football career. Vick may never get the chance. #2 I don't see Marcus Vick being a analyst alongside Mike Ditka!! #3 Besides, Irvin only liked drugs and women. He didn't wave guns around. Oh yeah, #88 is probably going to be a Hall of Famer. #4 Irvin brought the "big receiver" to the NFL. Vick can't bring thugs to the NFL, their already there.

neck_06
01-10-2006, 10:06 AM
this is NOT going to help Marcus out at all, the guy is a BUM

LH Panther Mom
01-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Is anyone surprised this happened? :rolleyes: I'm sure that Coach Beamer is glad he gave him the boot before this latest "incident".