PDA

View Full Version : UT's New QB

neck_06
01-09-2006, 08:34 AM
So now that Vince Young chose Big $$$ over his senior year, who is gonna lead the Horns next season?

Snyder_TigerFan
01-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Here is an article from Abilene Reporter News about it...

McCoy, Snead ready to fill Young's big cleats at Texas
By Brian Todd / Reporter-News Staff Writer
January 9, 2006

Chances are good that when the defending national champion Texas Longhorns take the field Sept. 2 against North Texas that a former Big Country quarterback will line up under center.

With Sunday's announcement from UT quarterback Vince Young that he will forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft, the lone scholarship quarterback on the Texas roster is former Jim Ned All-State standout Colt McCoy.

According to Scout.com, a college football recruiting Web site, the Longhorns will sign two more signal callers on National Signing Day: Arlington Bowie senior Sherrod Harris and Stephenville quarterback Jevan Snead.

For McCoy, who will be a redshirt freshman next season, seeing his friend and mentor leave for the NFL is a mixed bag of feelings, and he will miss the Rose Bowl MVP.

''He's taught me so much,'' McCoy said of Young. ''Going there in the summer was the greatest thing. We watched film together and I learned the offense from him.

''It's been great having a guy like him around.''

McCoy said he thinks Young is doing the right thing.

''I want the best for him, and he'll still get his degree,'' McCoy said. ''He just has a wonderful opportunity, and he just needs to go on and pursue the NFL.''

McCoy said he realizes that Young's opportunity means the job of starting quarterback for the Longhorns is ''mine to lose.'' And after a day of fielding phone calls from teammates and coaches, he is confident it is a job he will keep.

''(The coaches) just said, 'You just got to come in here and work hard and earn the respect of the other players, because we expect to be national champions again next year,''' McCoy said.

With Texas backup quarterback Matt Nordgren's eligibility completed, McCoy will need to compete for that job, and Snead said he is ready for the challenge.

''I really wanted him to stay so I could learn under him,'' Snead said of Young. ''I can't say I'm not happy. It just means I need to be ready quicker.''

Snead and Harris should present the Longhorns with options alongside McCoy. Scout.com rates Snead as the eighth-best prep quarterback in the nation, and Harris is No. 12 on the list.

Hoping to get a jump on Harris and McCoy, Snead has graduated early from Stephenville High School and will enroll in classes this month at Texas, he said, so he can participate in spring football practice.

''I believe that the coaches are going to prepare me,'' Snead said. ''I'll be ready for the starting job.''

McCoy said he is happy to have more quarterbacks on the roster, especially someone of Snead's talent.

''He's a good guy,'' McCoy said. ''And we need another quarterback.''

And while he has every confidence that Snead and Harris have what it takes to lead the Longhorns, McCoy said making the change from high school to college is a big adjustment.

''It's just a whole different game going from high school to college,'' McCoy said. ''But once you understand it - once you learn it - it just turns back into a football game.''

McCoy said his own learning experience during the past season was interesting, even if he never got into a game. In fact, redshirting may have been one of the toughest adjustments for a player who has almost never had to wait in the wings. Fortunately, his mentor helped him with that, too.

''Vince kept me fired up the whole time,'' McCoy said. ''He redshirted, too. He knew what I was going through.''

Another new experience came midway through the season, when McCoy was asked to run the scout team offense - the Longhorns unit that mimics the offense of the next opponent - to help the Texas defense get ready for the opposition.

As the Longhorns prepared for USC in the Rose Bowl, McCoy did his best impersonation of a Heisman Trophy winner.

''I played Matt Leinart the whole time,'' McCoy said, referring to the Trojans' 2004 winner of the award. ''We gave our defense a pretty good look.''

McCoy said he was happy to contribute whatever he could to his team's national championship, and getting to the Rose Bowl - even if just on the sidelines - was a thrill.

''It was awesome,'' he said. ''The atmosphere, the tradition of the game ...''

Now he hopes he can lead the Longhorns back for another national title.

''I'm living a dream come true,'' McCoy said. ''God has blessed me.''

neck_06
01-09-2006, 09:26 AM
hmmmm...........sounds like another little quarterback contreversy brewing at Texas........

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Aesculus gilmus
01-09-2006, 09:58 AM
To a great extent, I agree that we will look back on both VY and the 2005 season as a freakish event for UT.

All I ask is that the successor not disgrace Austin as badly as Chris Simms did. Even though it is my alma mater, it was difficult to pull for the Horns when he was at the helm and Mack was in love with his "pecs" (this is a joke from a morning sports talk show in Houston a few years back).

KTJ
01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
hmmmm...........sounds like another little quarterback contreversy brewing at Texas........

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

There's nothing that's even being hinted at a controversy.

It will probably be McCoy, but if Snead comes into Spring Practice looking better than people anticipated, don't be surprised to see him lead the helm.

Adidas410s
01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

It will probably be McCoy, but if Snead comes into Spring Practice looking better than people anticipated, don't be surprised to see him lead the helm.

I think Snead having better mobility may make a difference...

football4life
01-09-2006, 12:32 PM
sounded like Snead is pretty confident going into this whole thing... I watched him play against Plainview in the quarters, and his mobility was one of his greater assets. His arm is very good, and even though they didn't have a whole lot of success throwing until the end of the game, his pocket presence and awareness were very solid also.

KTJ
01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I think Snead having better mobility may make a difference...

While I and the rest of the Longhorn Nation agrees with you, it's up to Mack to make the final decision. McCoy redshirting and having VY's vote of confidence doesn't hurt either.

Adidas410s
01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
While I and the rest of the Longhorn Nation agrees with you, it's up to Mack to make the final decision. McCoy redshirting and having VY's vote of confidence doesn't hurt either.

did VY have anybody else to give his vote to though? As you know, McCoy is the only scholarship QB left...and the plot thickens :thinking:

crimson blood
01-09-2006, 03:27 PM
whomever it happens to be at the helm i just hope that they keep the job based on performance rather than politics. i still and will always feel that that was the downfall of major applewhite. he was not as well-build nor well-connected as sims. but maj's numbers always outshined those of sims. imho

89JDAWG
01-09-2006, 04:01 PM
it would be easier for a moble qb to step into the VY system

KTJ
01-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
it would be easier for a moble qb to step into the VY system

Cue Ryan Perriloux. Now, instead, he's riding the pine at LSU. On the 3rd string no less! :D Him not coming to UT was the best thing ever.

JasperDog94
01-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Cue Ryan Perriloux. Now, instead, he's riding the pine at LSU. On the 3rd string no less! :D Him not coming to UT was the best thing ever. Pardon me while I shed a tear....no, just keep waiting.....that tear's on its way...

AggieJohn
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

you got that right KTJ, same thing wanted to be said here about stephen mcgee and ty branyon, however, we all know that mcgee was the better player, despite being only a sophmore...

some people make stuff out to be more than it is

HighSchool Fan
01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
you got that right KTJ, same thing wanted to be said here about stephen mcgee and ty branyon, however, we all know that mcgee was the better player, despite being only a sophmore...

some people make stuff out to be more than it is

the only controversy there should of been sticking with mcneal the whole season. sticking with mcneal wasted a year of playing time and experience for McGee.

Chris Hart
01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
the only controversy there should of been sticking with mcneal the whole season. sticking with mcneal wasted a year of playing time and experience for McGee. Agreed! And, in doing so they missed out on a bowl game that McGee would've had them in....

Chris Hart
01-09-2006, 07:07 PM
As for the Longhorns, if they want a shot at back to back titles, they better explore the possibility of bringing in a proven JUCO QB to start this season. They could/should still win the conference, and possibly go unbeaten with Snead or McCoy(if they don't slip up against Ohio St), but I don't see them winning the title again without a proven college QB. It's not impossible, but highly unlikely even being surrounded by Sweed, Pittman, Cosby, Shipley, Taylor, Young and Charles. I expect a juco QB to be starting for the Horns this fall......:)

Old Tiger
01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I think McGee should of just went with Jordan! lol

AggieJohn
01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
the only controversy there should of been sticking with mcneal the whole season. sticking with mcneal wasted a year of playing time and experience for McGee.

hindsight is 20/20

KTJ
01-09-2006, 10:51 PM
In all honesty, McNeal didn't do anything to have his spot taken away. He was still being touted as being a better QB that Vince Young (albeit only by Aggie fans) and he just lead Texas A&M to the Cotton Bowl.

I think McGee is a good QB, but to say that he should have been starting all year above Reggie McNeal is a bit premature, IMO. Then again, I really don't pay attention to the A&M football team so I could be wrong.

Chief Ohera
01-10-2006, 01:37 AM
i believe that harris has a chance even though it may be a long shot, but look at it like this,
he is a mobile qb and so was VY, strong arm just like VY, smart and quick, just like VY. i wouldn't mind to see him start maybe it might bring back some VY memories,
but regardless, UT next year w/ a qb not colllege tested will lose the big 12 crown and not go to a BCS bowl,
OU and OHIO ST. and possibly TECH will beat them, all UT had this year was VY he was plain a simply their whole team.
BOOMER SOONER.

football4life
01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
i believe that harris has a chance even though it may be a long shot, but look at it like this,
he is a mobile qb and so was VY, strong arm just like VY, smart and quick, just like VY. i wouldn't mind to see him start maybe it might bring back some VY memories,
but regardless, UT next year w/ a qb not colllege tested will lose the big 12 crown and not go to a BCS bowl,
OU and OHIO ST. and possibly TECH will beat them, all UT had this year was VY he was plain a simply their whole team.
BOOMER SOONER.

mmmmk.:rolleyes:

KTJ
01-10-2006, 11:22 AM
BOOMER SOONER.

So just because it happened to OU means it will happen to UT?

Snead, Harris, and McCoy > Bomar

DaHop72
01-10-2006, 11:29 AM
BOOMER SOONER.
Tech will have a new QB, really untested.
OU-Bomar has to get better.
Don't see anyone with the big advantage.

Adidas410s
01-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Tech will have a new QB, really untested.
OU-Bomar has to get better.
Don't see anyone with the big advantage.

BlowU DOES have this game named Adrian Peterson returning...I think he's pretty good! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KTJ
So just because it happened to OU means it will happen to UT?

Snead, Harris, and McCoy > Bomar

So are you saying UT should run 3 different QB's out there?? Yeah...that's a GREAT idea!!! :doh:

DaHop72
01-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
BlowU DOES have this game named Adrian Peterson returning...I think he's pretty good! :rolleyes:

Sorry 410s, didn't make myself clear, don't think blowu with Bomar has any advantage over Tech with Harrell. Peterson is a different story.

Adidas410s
01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Sorry 410s, didn't make myself clear, don't think blowu with Bomar has any advantage over Tech with Harrell. Peterson is a different story.

:thumbsup:

TPlinebacker53
01-10-2006, 09:39 PM
with vince gone texas will prolly be forced to change up there hole offense

Old Tiger
01-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Not really because if Snead is the starter he ran an offense that was similar to that of Texas.

sinton66
01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
In all honesty, McNeal didn't do anything to have his spot taken away. He was still being touted as being a better QB that Vince Young (albeit only by Aggie fans) and he just lead Texas A&M to the Cotton Bowl.

I think McGee is a good QB, but to say that he should have been starting all year above Reggie McNeal is a bit premature, IMO. Then again, I really don't pay attention to the A&M football team so I could be wrong.

McGee is the popular candidate on here because he came from 3A, plus he is a dang good QB.