PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Vince Is Going Pro!!!(merged)

Maroon87
01-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Jan. 8, 2006, 11:13AM
Texas QB Vince Young to enter NFL draft

By JOSEPH DUARTE
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Texas junior quarterback Vince Young plans to enter the NFL draft and forgo his final year of college, a close family friend said today. Young plans to make the announcement this afternoon at a press conference in Austin.

"He has the blessing of God, the pastor and his family," said Yolanda Lezine, Young's godmother and the family media's spokeswoman. "It's his decision. Everybody is going to support him a 110 percent."

Young capped off his career Wednesday night, rallying the Longhorns from a 12-point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat two-time defending national champion Southern California, 41-38, in the Rose Bowl.

The Madison product will hire Bus Cook as his agent. Cook is also the agent for Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair, Young's mentor, and Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

Young finished with 467 all-purpose yards – 200 rushing and 267 passing – in what some are calling one of the greatest performances in college football history. He is the first player in NCAA history to rush for 1,000 yards (1,050) and pass for 3,000 yards (3,036) in a season. In three seasons, Young is 30-2 as a starter at Texas, the best in school history.

Some draft analysts project Young could be selected among the top 5 in the April draft, possibly as high as the top 3. The Texans, New Orleans Saints and Tennessee Titans own the top three picks in the draft.

The chance to be selected that high was one of the deciding factors in Young's decision not to return to the Longhorns.

All underclassmen must declare for the NFL draft by Jan. 15. Young will become the first underclassman to leave early in coach Mack Brown's eight-year tenure at Texas.

joseph.duarte@chron.com

GreenMonster
01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
seems pretty credible with quotes from the Godmother and naming an Agent.

WOSgrad
01-08-2006, 12:43 PM
If he does enter the draft, he will not last past the Top 3. In fact, if the Texans stay their reported course and draft Reggie Bush, Young will be a New Orleans/San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saint.

injuredinmelee
01-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I just had my UT flag lowered to half staff.

GreenMonster
01-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by WOSgrad
If he does enter the draft, he will not last past the Top 3. In fact, if the Texans stay their reported course and draft Reggie Bush, Young will be a New Orleans/San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saint.

Talk about bad PR. Texans will get hammered by the Houston press and the Houston public if they pass up the Hometown Hero. Maybe they should consider resigning their QB and offering him in a trade to one of the teams desperate for a QB for as many picks as they can get.

Adidas410s
01-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by WOSgrad

I bet he ends up in Tennessee. Yes Norm Chow is there and may push for Leinart...but Steve McNair (Young's mentor) has a pretty big influence around there as well. Sure hope that Jeff Fisher stays in Tennessee...

mrescape43
01-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Talk about bad PR. Texans will get hammered by the Houston press and the Houston public if they pass up the Hometown Hero. Maybe they should consider resigning their QB and offering him in a trade to one of the teams desperate for a QB for as many picks as they can get.

This sounds like a good plan. IMO

Gobbla2001
01-08-2006, 12:59 PM
IF there was ever a time to pull a Roy Williams, Vince, it's now!!! :D

Hope he does well whatever he does...

Bullaholic
01-08-2006, 01:00 PM
If Vince Young did go to New Orleans and mange to lead them to the playoffs---nobody in the NFL will have ever seen fan support such as the Saints fans will provide to VY and his team---they are hands down, the most passionate, "rabid", over-the-top fans in the NFL and they have been waiting 30 years for their place in the sun. On the other hand---it is a shame that the Titans could not have remained the Oilers in Houston---what a beautiful scenario that would have been---the faithful powder-blue Oiler fans singing "Houston Oilers" to native-son-done-good VY and his teammates. For that matter I have always thought that it was a travesty that the Oilers are no longer in Houston---the Colts in Baltimore--or the Browns in Cleveland......alas, time marches on to the tune of the almighty dollar....

Pmoney
01-08-2006, 01:00 PM
i wish he would stay....but its his choice hopefully he makes the right one

wos fan1
01-08-2006, 01:33 PM
At 3 pm..Not sure what Station will have it. FOX Sports net maybe

WOSgrad
01-08-2006, 01:44 PM
My bet is NO for VY if the draft order stays the same. It appeared that Aaron Brooks was going to be shown the door and I don't think Jim Haslett's dismissal has changed that.

lepfan
01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I just had my UT flag lowered to half staff. you should ;)

Bullaholic
01-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
you should ;)

Careful lepfan---that Sooner Schooner may slow way down too, if Adrian Peterson gets unhappy at OU. :D

sinton66
01-08-2006, 01:57 PM
It couldn't get much slower than this year.:D

lepfan
01-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Careful lepfan---that Sooner Schooner may slow way down too, if Adrian Peterson gets unhappy at OU. :D
That is true...but we were pretty slow this year...in comparison to past years! IMO I think he will stay happy :) .

sinfan75
01-08-2006, 02:02 PM
It'd be nice to see VY stay one more year. Texas still gonna have a helluva team just not as strong as they would be with him at QB.

LHMom
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Bummer. It would be great to have his leadership for another year.

What guidance would you give your son if they were in that position?

sinton66
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Hmmmmmm, wonder if they might try to coax a baseball player over to the football squad?;)

DaRaiderz
01-08-2006, 02:38 PM
You're being selfish if you say he should stay at UT. I'm as big a Texas fan as anyone but I would pat him on the back, say thank you for giving me what Ive wanted to see all my life, and send him on to make his millions. His draft stock will not rise any higher than it is right now. It may not be in the Longhorn's best interest for him to leave but it definitely is in Vince's best interest to enter the draft.

The Texans better pray the Saints draft him and the Titans dont get him. You saw first hand how that competitive Heisman chip on his shoulder pushed him to play the game of his life against Bush and USC. Imagine what he will do to the Texans twice a year in the AFC South if they don't draft him when you know full well it would be his dream come true to play in Houston.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by DaRaiderz
You're being selfish if you say he should stay at UT. I'm as big a Texas fan as anyone but I would pat him on the back, say thank you for giving me what Ive wanted to see all my life, and send him on to make his millions. His draft stock will not rise any higher than it is right now. It may not be in the Longhorn's best interest for him to leave but it definitely is in Vince's best interest to enter the draft.

Well said, I agree with you. Why would he come back? I would love to see him come back, but if I were in his situation it wouldn't
take much thought - hmm...come back, maybe win a heisman, maybe win a national championship, risk injury, or leave now - having won the national championship being an easy top 5 pick and make millions. To me, that's an easy choice and a financial cushion for me and my family.

wos fan1
01-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I believe it's going to be on ESPN NEWS at 3..

ILS1
01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
The local Austin station KXAN-TV 36 will have it live. I believe ESPN News will also carry it live!!

:D

pirate4state
01-08-2006, 03:35 PM
:weeping: I'm gonna go light a candle!! LOL. :D

District303aPastPlayer
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Good luck in New Orleans :) or Tennesee :)

PLEASE, HOUSTON, DRAFT VINCE YOUNG!!!

3afan
01-08-2006, 03:42 PM
ESPN News is already announcing he's leaving ......

sahen
01-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Good luck in New Orleans :) or Tennesee :)

PLEASE, HOUSTON, DRAFT VINCE YOUNG!!!
Houston better not draft him, I like the guy but if they picked Young w/ the number 1 pick I'd stop watching them all together. Either take Bush or trade it down for more picks, either is ok but doing anything other than that is absurd. Young will be interesting to watch in the NFL but i doubt he wants to start out getting pounded to death in Houston, and Carr could be a good QB, unfortunately in his 4 years he has had a combined 2 seconds to throw the ball....

injuredinmelee
01-08-2006, 03:52 PM
unfortunately in his 4 years he has had a combined 2 seconds to throw the ball....
Thats funny stuff.

sahen
01-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Thats funny stuff.
sad thing is it's pretty much true...

ILS1
01-08-2006, 04:03 PM
It's on KEYE-TV 42 Austin local.

wos fan1
01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
As of 3:05 p.m. it's not on ESPN News yet. Is anyone hearing it anywhere??

Old Tiger
01-08-2006, 04:09 PM
<<<<<sad:(

sinton66
01-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Wife says she heard it reported on ESPN2 a little while ago.

AggieJohn
01-08-2006, 04:11 PM
who want's to see eli, i want to see VY

Blastoderm55
01-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Just made it official.

ILS1
01-08-2006, 04:14 PM
He just announced it at his press conference!!

Go Horns!!

wos fan1
01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
It's on ESPN News....:crying:

etbu
01-08-2006, 04:17 PM
GO to this link

http://www.khou.com/

44INAROW
01-08-2006, 04:18 PM
The KMOL in San Antonio has it on right now

LH Panther Mom
01-08-2006, 04:18 PM
WooHoo! :D :clap: :clap: He's been a thorn in Tech's side. ;)

Seriously, I'm sure it was a well thought out decision and I hope he does well. :)

Maroon87
01-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
WooHoo! :D :clap: :clap: He's been a thorn in Tech's side. ;)

Seriously, I'm sure it was a well thought out decision and I hope he does well. :)

More like a "Horn" in their side.:D

sinton66
01-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Whatever you want Vince, I'm a fan for life.;)

Pmoney
01-08-2006, 05:41 PM
its ok everybody...Texas still has Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead we got a bright future

JHS_c/o_06'
01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
well....i am a fan for life....wherever he goes, that will be my favorite team. If only he could go to dallas.......but my love for dallas is 2nd to my love for the longhorns.....and while he wont be there for a repeat.....he will give me and the rest of my freshmen class bragging rights for a year. So if he goes to NO....NO will be my favorite team till he goes somewhere else.

But i do know this, if Houston gets reggie over vince....reggie will be booed every time he steps on the field.

Whsdogs
01-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
well....i am a fan for life....wherever he goes, that will be my favorite team. If only he could go to dallas.......but my love for dallas is 2nd to my love for the longhorns.....and while he wont be there for a repeat.....he will give me and the rest of my freshmen class bragging rights for a year. So if he goes to NO....NO will be my favorite team till he goes somewhere else.

But i do know this, if Houston gets reggie over vince....reggie will be booed every time he steps on the field.

i doubt he will be booed...i would take reggie bush on my team any day...no matter what school he came from...hes a great locker room player and we all know what he can do on the field

Pmoney
01-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
i doubt he will be booed...i would take reggie bush on my team any day...no matter what school he came from...hes a great locker room player and we all know what he can do on the field
he is going to need another running back to help him with the load bc he isnt used to 20-25 runs a game...but with vince he can play the whole time

sinton66
01-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Frankly, I think Reggie's stock went down in the NC game. We saw what he COULDN'T do against a fast defense. The DE's and LB's in the NFL are all fast now. Jimmy Johnson started all that speed defense stuff. Reggie's forte is getting to the outside. He might be a dismal failure at Houston. The line isn't good enough to run block for the backs they already have. IMO, his best value to Houston is as a trading chip, and if he doesn't succeed there, that value will drop.

And, OMG, please don't let Vince be saddled with the "Aints".

sweetwater07
01-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'

seriously doubt that reggie will go to any texas team

sinton66
01-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
seriously doubt that reggie will go to any texas team

Why is that? The Texans have already said they will draft him.