PDA

View Full Version : Applewhite to Rice

eagles_victory
01-08-2006, 11:52 AM
HOUSTON -- Former Texas quarterback Major Applewhite told a Houston television station Saturday that he'll be named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Rice.

The move would mark a quick ascension for Applewhite, 27, who spent just one year as quarterbacks coach at Syracuse. Before that, he was a graduate assistant with the Longhorns for two years after graduating in 2002.

"From a professional standpoint, anytime you get a chance to be an offensive coordinator you have to take serious consideration, and I did," Applewhite told Houston television station KRIV. "...Obviously this is the quick route back to Texas, but it's an opportunity. A great opportunity."

Rice officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Applewhite would be the latest hire for new coach Todd Graham, who was hired Jan. 1 to replace Ken Hatfield, who resigned Nov. 30 after 12 seasons. The Owls ran the option under Hatfield, but Graham has said a key to turning around the program is "modernizing" the schemes.

Applewhite remains a fan favorite at Texas, where he was 22-8 as a starter and set several school passing records. He was named Big 12 co-offensive player of the year in 1999 before becoming stuck in a quarterback controversy with Chris Simms.

Maroon87
01-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Good move for Major. Rice's offense can't get much worse.

injuredinmelee
01-08-2006, 12:22 PM
couple of more years experience and I think he will be back home at UT. He is definitely on the fasttrack.

Bullaholic
01-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Major Applewhite is a "winner"---I hope he gets his "shot" at the big time, soon. He is smart ,motivated, and loves the game. He will be an outstanding college head coach somewhere in the not too distant future.

GreenMonster
01-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Good move for Major. Rice's offense can't get much worse. The offense itself is/was a good offense. The problem is the new guy is right, the option is a dinosaur so far as offenses go. Amazingly when run well it will continue to be effective mainly due to the fact no one runs it. Defenses do not know how to defend it because they never see it. Unfortunately because no one runs it on the lower levels either it is hard to recruit a good option QB that has an athletic ability on the level of a college RB. That is the true downfall of the Option offense. Lack of Collegiate caliber QB's. The option offense needs to be run by someone that reads and reacts. The more reps one has the more automatic the reads become and the more efficient the offense runs. A college option QB needs to have several years experience in the offense to truly become comfortable running it.

injuredinmelee
01-08-2006, 12:33 PM
your right GM. It is hard to defend but even harder to run effectively.

Pmoney
01-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Applewhite is just moving on up

sinfan75
01-08-2006, 01:57 PM
If he hasn't switched agents he's a 1970 graduate of Sinton. my brother played golf with em at South Padre. Said the Major is a nut in a fun way.

sinton66
01-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Applewhite's agent is from Sinton?

BrahmaMom
01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Great hire for the Owls and Graham. And Applewhite IS moving up. He is going to be associated with the turnaround of a Div IA football program with a great reputation and history. Don't be surprised if his first HC job isn't at Rice. Watch out for the Owls, they are going to come on strong in the next few years.

neck_06
01-09-2006, 10:04 AM
now that rice has a throwing qb at the helm of their offense, does that mean that they are gonna get out of the bone and wing T?

rice throwing the ball.......WHAT!?!?!?!

venomous tat2
01-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The offense itself is/was a good offense. The problem is the new guy is right, the option is a dinosaur so far as offenses go. Amazingly when run well it will continue to be effective mainly due to the fact no one runs it. Defenses do not know how to defend it because they never see it. Unfortunately because no one runs it on the lower levels either it is hard to recruit a good option QB that has an athletic ability on the level of a college RB. That is the true downfall of the Option offense. Lack of Collegiate caliber QB's. The option offense needs to be run by someone that reads and reacts. The more reps one has the more automatic the reads become and the more efficient the offense runs. A college option QB needs to have several years experience in the offense to truly become comfortable running it.

The QB in Giddings may be a nice fit in a couple of years?:thinking:

Rainman
01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Applewhite will make a good fit in Graham's staff whose oldest coach is a mid-forties o-line coach who came from the head coach and AD job in Mustang OK.

AggieJohn
01-09-2006, 05:21 PM
good hire

sinfan75
01-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Applewhite's agent is from Sinton? Graduate of Sinton. Lives in Houston I believe. graduated with my brother. Don't know if he's still the Majors agent or not. was about a year ago. That's how my brother ended up playin golf with him.

BrahmaMom
01-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I think Rice's offense will be quite different now, and Graham is all about excitement and enthusiasm. Hiring Applewhite was just a small part of all that. Rice's whole game will be different--wait and see. Go Owls!