PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Game History (1988-2005)

WOS87
01-08-2006, 06:28 AM

lostaussie
01-08-2006, 09:17 AM
WOS87 is the info king:)

VWG
01-08-2006, 03:21 PM
1991 to 2001 was a long drought for playoffs.

Manck
01-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Tell me about it....

Things that DON'T show up in this thing.

In 1996, our first year in the 4A district, we were in a four-way tie for District Champs, but failed to make the playoffs by something around a touchdown. I remember that if we had beaten Carthage 17-0 we would have gone. So we have a trophy, and no playoff berth.

I remember exactly where I was for our second round playoff game in 1990, even though I was only 7. My family was camping in Beaver's Bend in Oklahoma, and the people next to us had a Buckeye bumper sticker. I said "Hey, We're from Gilmer too!" They said, "Actually son, we're from Mount Vernon now." And I said, "HAHA! We beat you last night!!!"

The 0-48 loss at Henderson in 1997 was Henderson's first win of the season. Ouch.

In the waning moments of the last game of 1998, at Bullard, a Bullard player tackled a Buckeye WAY out of bounds, on the track practically, and nothing was called. The game was called with about 50 seconds remaining when, from what I saw, the Buckeye offensive line collectively picked up and threw down, quite violently, their counterparts from Bullard. Weird night.

In the first quarter of the Bullard game in Gilmer the next year, 1999, John Youngblood held for the extra point on the Buckeyes' first touchdown. This is significant because John-John, as everyone called him, didn't have to use of his legs. He was on the varsity roster listed as "H" for holder. After one of the ballboys carried his crutches off the field, the extra point was good. The entire bench went out to carry John-John off the field, and I swear to God, we won the Super Bowl that night.

2000 was Jeff Traylor's first year as head coach. In Week 9, we needed to beat Tatum on the road to go to the playoffs. It was my senior year, and I had been to every Buckeye game since 1997, because I was in the band. However, the band didn't make the trip because it rained allllllll day, and it couldn't have been more than 40 degrees. I was one of less than 10 people that made the trip, and was on the sidelines for that game. I distinctly remember the Tatum players slip-n-sliding on the field to celebrate not more than 10 yards from the big postgame Buckeye huddle. I wore a trashbag to keep the rain off, and my letterjacket reeked until I took it to the cleaners Monday.

I think that's all I have of the "pre-Traylor-playoffs era."