PDA

View Full Version : A&M beats Tech in Mens BBall

AggieJohn
01-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Acie Law scored 14 of his 21 points in the second half as Texas A&M overcame a nine-point halftime deficit to beat Texas Tech 63-55 on Saturday in the Big 12 Conference opener for both schools.

With Aggies leading scorer Joseph Jones on the bench for more than half the game with foul trouble, Law recovered from a poor shooting first half to lead the Texas A&M comeback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M went on a 15-2 run to open the second half on the strength of tough defense and hot shooting by Law and Dominique Kirk. Kirk made two 3-pointers in that span and Law's bucket with just under 14 minutes remaining put Texas A&M (11-1, 1-0 Big 12) ahead 37-36. It was the Aggies first lead since they were up 2-0.

The win breaks a streak of 10 straight losses in conference openers dating back to 1995 for the Aggies. The last time Texas A&M won a league opener was a 90-80 victory, also over Texas Tech, in the old Southwest Conference.

The Aggies have won 11 home games in a row and their home record for the last two seasons is 28-3.

Jarrius Jackson led Texas Tech with 21 points, and Martin Zeno had 18 points and eight rebounds.

Texas Tech (8-7, 0-1 Big 12) led 34-25 at halftime after Zeno and Jackson combined for 27 points.

Texas A&M got in an early hole after making just two of its first 15 shots. Jones, who averages 16.6 points a game, finished with just six points and four rebounds.

Texas Tech trailed 2-0 before going on a 9-0 run to take a lead that it kept through the first half. Saturday marked the first time the Aggies had trailed by double digits this season and the first time they trailed in the second half at home.

Josh Carter added 13 points for Texas A&M and Lithuanian Antanas Kavaliauskas scored four straight points that extended the Aggies lead midway through the second half

football4life
01-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Red raiders are pretty young this year, but i think in a year or two they will be contenders in the big 12. I would like to see the ags with Wright still in the lineup, they might've been on the road to the tourney.:thinking:

injuredinmelee
01-08-2006, 12:37 AM
I watched bits and pieces of this one at work tonight and the ags looked good. They seem to play really well in big games at home.

eagles_victory
01-08-2006, 01:10 AM
The Aggies could be one of the only undefeated teams in the nation if it wasn't for a loss to an average Pacific team earlier in the week.

AggieJohn
01-08-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The Aggies could be one of the only undefeated teams in the nation if it wasn't for a loss to an average Pacific team earlier in the week. yeah, that shot them in the foot

District303aPastPlayer
01-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Pacific isnt just a run of the mill team anymore. Say hello to Americas Team, v2.0

injuredinmelee
01-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I got on Techs website yesterday to try and buy tix to the UT/Tech game in Lubbock and they are sold out already.

KTJ
01-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The Aggies could be one of the only undefeated teams in the nation if it wasn't for a loss to an average Pacific team earlier in the week.

That would be a false impression as they didn't play anyone worth mentioning in their OOC games. If A&M can learn to win on the road, they will be/could be dangerous.

eagles_victory
01-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Pacific isnt just a run of the mill team anymore. Say hello to Americas Team, v2.0 Pacific is something like 9-6 and lost to a 2-11 Riverside team yesterday.

un b weavable
01-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I went to the game but left at halftime because we were getting smashed. They looked like crap the first half. I guess that changed. oops:doh: