PDA

View Full Version : Vick to go pro

gobbler grad
01-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Vick decides to turn pro

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- Marcus Vick decided to turn pro Saturday, one day after he was kicked off the Virginia Tech team for transgressions on and off the field.

"I have decided to enter the NFL draft," the junior quarterback said in a statement released through his lawyers. "I am very excited about this opportunity and look forward to proving my athletic ability at the professional level. I believe I am ready for this challenge and the next chapter of my life."

Vick said he appreciated the trust Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer placed in him during his stay at Virginia Tech, and said "I deeply regret that I allowed my competitive emotions to take control" in the Gator Bowl.

"To all of the Virginia Tech community, I sincerely apologize."

Virginia Tech cited the cumulative effects of Vick's legal problems and his unsportsmanlike conduct in the Jan. 2 bowl in dismissing him from the team Friday.

During the game, he was caught on tape stomping on the left calf of Louisville All-American defensive end Elvis Dumervil after a tackle. Vick claimed it was an accident, but school officials said Saturday they thought it looked intentional.

"We have received hundreds of letters from fans and alumni who are disturbed by what they saw," university president Charles Steger said at a Saturday news conference.

Beamer, who delivered the news of the dismissal to Vick and his mother in person, said he did not advise Vick on whether or not to turn pro, but told him during their meeting Friday that he would help him in any way he could when Vick made his decision.

The dismissal hit Vick's mother, Brenda Boddie, hard.

"I cried a lot yesterday," she said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "But we're just going to move on and make something positive out of this and Marcus is going to show everybody that he's not the person a lot of people claim he is."

She agreed that her son "did the wrong thing" and said she understood why Tech dismissed him, but said she resents seeing her son portrayed as a "monster."

Looking ashen, Beamer said he, Steger and Weaver agreed once all the evidence was in that the outcome had to be dismissal, but that made it no less disappointing.

"When I go into a home and talk about how I'm going to do my best to make everything at Virginia Tech turn out successful and be good and then it doesn't reach that -- it's disappointing to me as a coach," the 19-year veteran coach said.

"I can tell you he's deeply hurt, he's deeply saddened. I can assure you this kid is very, very hurt, his mom is very, very hurt and I'm hurting with them."

Vick was suspended from school in 2004 because of several legal problems, and came under intense scrutiny again because of replays of his actions against Dumervil. Vick claimed it was accidental, but hurt his cause by claiming to have apologized to Dumervil, the NCAA sacks leader. Dumervil said he received no such apology.

The last straw came Friday, even as Beamer was preparing to visit Vick and offer him the options of accepting a two-game suspension or deciding to leave Virginia Tech.

A fax sent to Steger's office disclosed that Vick had been stopped for driving 38 mph in a 25 mph zone and driving with a revoked or suspended license on Dec. 17. Vick had told Beamer about the ticket for driving on a suspended license on Dec. 19, Beamer said, but had never mentioned to anyone that he'd also been caught speeding.

Vick's license had been taken away in August 2004 when he was cited for reckless driving and marijuana possession, but had been reinstated until a friend driving a car owned by Vick was pulled over and found to not have insurance, Beamer said.

Vick received a citation as the car owner, but an investigation by the school revealed that getting his license reinstated was merely a formality, Beamer was told.

Vick entered this season trying to win his team's trust and knowing he would face hostility from opposing fans, mostly stemming from his drug arrest and another conviction for serving alcohol to underage girls during the 2003 school year.

He said he was ready for anything, but reacted to chants of "rapist!" and "child molester!" at West Virginia on Oct. 1 by gesturing obscenely toward the crowd. He met with Beamer afterward and apologized to the team and to Mountaineers fans.

Vick was the runner-up to Wake Forest's Chris Barclay, by one vote, as the Atlantic Coast Conference's offensive player of the year, and was the league's first-team quarterback.

In 24 career games, the 6-foot, 212-pound Vick threw for 2,868 yards, 19 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. He also ran 184 times for 492 yards and six TDs.

good or bad...what does everyone think...:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
01-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds like he could well be the new NFL "bad boy". :thinking:

lostaussie
01-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Sounds like he could well be the new NFL "bad boy". :thinking: he will never play a down in the nfl.

eagles_victory
01-07-2006, 06:37 PM
According to some posters on this board he still has more class then Vince Young :rolleyes:

mrescape43
01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
According to some posters on this board he still has more class then Vince Young :rolleyes:

Some posters have no clue! I agree with above post as Vick is a
loser

schu1213
01-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Oh my god i never said VY didnt have class. I said he was cocky. There is a big difference. That doesnt make him a bad guy or a trouble maker its just his personality and i just happend to not like it. He is nowhere near the level of Marcus Vick, he is a much better man that that.

etbu
01-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by schu1213
Oh my god i never said VY didnt have class. I said he was cocky. There is a big difference. That doesnt make him a bad guy or a trouble maker its just his personality and i just happend to not like it. He is nowhere near the level of Marcus Vick, he is a much better man that that.
Be careful bro: If you doubt a Ut player you may loose your salvation and be doomed to spend eternity down below. :hairpunk:

schu1213
01-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah i know man ive already learned that

football4life
01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Marcus Vick is a complete moron. He has used up all that his last name will allow, and he will find out what it's like when people don't care what your last name is.

etbu
01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Marcus Vick is a complete moron. He has used up all that his last name will allow, and he will find out what it's like when people don't care what your last name is.

Ok since when are you god in control, judge of morals, character, and the universe?

KTJ
01-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Not surprising.

He won't get picked up the first day, but it will happen eventually.

etbu
01-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Ok he makes a mistake and steps on somones leg and may he spend eternity in darkness. JOKE This is football guys not a wmu bible study. Kids make mistakes and do dumb things like all of us. Well almost all of us except the ones in WHITE ROBES WHO HAVE BEEN CHOSEN BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.:confused:

lostaussie
01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
he will never play a down in the nfl. he may turn into an evangelist, sing christmas hymms on the steps of the white house and be an intregal part in american history. but............. he will still never play a down in the nfl. well......maybe preseason.........if he's lucky.

Paratrooper
01-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I read the article on AOL and it said he had sex with a 15 year old girl. I think personally this guy belongs in prison. Why wasn't he in prison for the marijuana charge or do some time in the local county jail? This guy is a loser and for people to have any sort of sympathy for this boy is pathetic! I bet there isn't one coach in Texas High School football that would let a kid play with all the many run in's with the law.
Besides having all the legal troubles this guy is not his brother by far and I really can't see him doing anything in the NFL. What is there 32 teams now? There's probably only about 100 quarterbacks in the NFL and I don't see this guy making the cut as a starter, the backup, or the 3rd string. There is just too much talent and I definently know one team who wouldn't pick up this guy and that is Philly........they already had to deal with their T.O., they don't need another. I just don't think he's good enough to cut it.

etbu
01-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Whats Mel Kipers take on him?

football4life
01-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by etbu
Ok since when are you god in control, judge of morals, character, and the universe?

Well never, i just listen to the analysts on espn who think that of themselves.....and whatever you think about it, i think the guy is out of control. It's not like this was his first mistake.:rolleyes:

mrescape43
01-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by etbu
Ok he makes a mistake and steps on somones leg and may he spend eternity in darkness. JOKE This is football guys not a wmu bible study. Kids make mistakes and do dumb things like all of us. Well almost all of us except the ones in WHITE ROBES WHO HAVE BEEN CHOSEN BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.:confused:

It was no mistake. If he can't control his emotions any better than this he belongs in a padded room, not on a football field.

GreenMonster
01-08-2006, 02:41 AM
I think Vick is Hall of Fame material, Canadian Hall of Fame. Go Edmonton Eskimos!