PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Reporting that The Texans will take...

injuredinmelee
01-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Updated: Jan. 7, 2006, 1:40 PM ET
With Carr in place, Texans to take BushESPN.com news services

The Houston Texans will select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this April's NFL draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he is turning pro, team and league sources told Chris Mortensen.

Bush

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources say, even after the Texans received word Friday from an intermediary representing Texas quarterback Vince Young that the Houston native is leaning strongly to also going pro.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.

USC's Matt Leinart, who could have been the first pick a year ago had he turned pro after his junior season, still remains the consensus top quarterback in the NFL draft, even if Young comes out. For Leinart, he is likely to be the choice of the New Orleans Saints at No. 2 with Young projected to the Tennessee Titans at No. 3.

Young would be mentored by Titans quarterback Steve McNair, who is hoping to sign a new contract with the club for the 2006 season.

Leinart also would be desirable to Tennessee, where his former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow is now calling plays for the Titans.

injuredinmelee
01-07-2006, 01:52 PM
I think this helps Mack keep VY on the 40 Acres.

AggieJohn
01-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I think this helps Mack keep VY on the 40 Acres.

won't happen, which makes this aggie happy for sure

Phil C
01-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Texans are nuts if this is true. They should take Vince.

pantherpop
01-07-2006, 02:19 PM
If the Texans fail to take Vince Young, it will be a mistake that will haunt them for years. Mark my word that the Texans will never be a winning team as long as David Carr is the QB. Dan Reeves has been out of touch with football for a while and the GM Charlie Casserly should have been fired before Dom Capers was. This guy has made far more bad decisions than good ones. I've always been a Cowboys fan but always back the Houston team also. This decision if it is true just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

schu1213
01-07-2006, 02:29 PM
How in the world can you call this a mistake? Bush can come in right away and make some sort of an impact. Im not saying he is going to come in and make them a playoff team right away but he will def help. A rookie qb takes time to develop and VY would either struggle in his rookie season if they happend to start him or just sit the bench for a couple of years.

kepdawg
01-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I think Bush is the right decision for Houston.

Bush will try to get the edge.

Davis will try to run between the tackles.

Carr will try to stay off his butt.

Leopards,class of 75
01-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I too think that if Vince Young goes pro, Houston needs to draft him. Trade Carr for another draft pick or for cash. Build your future around a great team leader in Vince Young, as he already as proven he knows how to win!!!! My selfish thoughts would be for him to remain a Longhorn and win another national title.

pantherpop
01-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by schu1213
How in the world can you call this a mistake? Bush can come in right away and make some sort of an impact. Im not saying he is going to come in and make them a playoff team right away but he will def help. A rookie qb takes time to develop and VY would either struggle in his rookie season if they happend to start him or just sit the bench for a couple of years.

Dominick Davis is a more than capable running back. Bush would be an upgrade no doubt but Davis can get the job done. Even without an offensive line the past few years he has done a very good job. Carr is what he is, just an average QB, but more than that his teamates have lost what little confidence they had for him in the first place. Carr will never be a leader with this team. Young however will step up to the plate and accept the blame if he fails instead of being a crybaby like Carr. They need to sign Carr and trade him if at all possible since there are so many QB hungry teams. Hopefully they haven't been watching him so close and maybe the Texans can get a number 1 draft choice for him but for sure they can get a number 2.

wos fan1
01-07-2006, 03:00 PM
That's what they were saying a few days ago as well.

Gobbla2001
01-07-2006, 03:05 PM
If you look at it a little deeper, VY would be a good fit...

As many have mentioned, Davis is a very good RB, just doesn't have a line...

Carr is a decent QB and doesn't have a line...

Vince Young blocks for himself sometimes, more mobile than Carr...

Vince Young's arm is just as accurate as Carr'ss in the short-game we know... But we don't know about the long-balls mainly because CARR HASN'T BEEN THROWING THE LONG-BALL...

So... You have two QB's, one who isn't that great of a leader, can hardly move in the pocket, can't run well and is a decent short-game passer who hasn't gone long-ball in a long time (Cept for against Jax)...

Then the other is a great leader, can move around the pocket like it's no one's business, is a runner and is a great short-game passer who has proven he CAN go long and hit receivers in stride...

You take who?

AggiesAreWe
01-07-2006, 03:54 PM
There is a lot of complications for the Texans if they decide to draft Vince Young. If you sign Carr and try to trade him, the money you sign him for will count against their cap, plus they have to pay his bonus money up front and not defer it. Also, they would be lucky to get a first round for him, more likely a second or third. Keeping with the financial woes of it, they will be required to sign Young with first pick money( union demands ) which will strap them cap wise, so in essence they will be paying top dollar for two QB's. If they choose to not sign Carr, he becomes an unrestricted free agent and could sign with anybody with the Texans gaining nothing for him. Question is, does management decide to wash away the four years invested in Carr and start over with Young, or, take a more managable pick, Reggie Bush, and try work from there. When it comes down to it, money will decide.

schu1213
01-07-2006, 03:58 PM
How bout this, the texans draft bush and hopefully VY stays one more year at ut, then they just get last again and draft Vince first next year. THen you have a VY and reggie bush in the same backfield.:)

Cameron Crazy
01-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I think vince is gonna stay i hope he does maybe texas can bring another title home next year

Gobbla2001
01-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by schu1213
How bout this, the texans draft bush and hopefully VY stays one more year at ut, then they just get last again and draft Vince first next year. THen you have a VY and reggie bush in the same backfield.:)

That's the best one I've heard yet...

I can see it now, the first Texans game next season... "Remember that crap you pulled in the BCS Championship last year where you pitched the ball back and the 'Horns recovered it? Do it all year long so we can get Vince..."

AggieJohn
01-07-2006, 04:55 PM
or what if they trade david carr to the jets for the fourth pick and take leinhart in the four hole

Gobbla2001
01-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Personally, if Vince doesn't go pro they need to draft the best offensive lineman out there... Then another with the next pick...

that would really piss off all of those Texans' fans who were cheering "Reggie, Reggie" every time Houston did something negative, or should I say something "usually" negative...

sinton66
01-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Reggie really wants to play for San Francisco. The niners should have some high draft choices also. I say trade picks with them and draft that huge dude on the right side of USC's line. That guy blocks like a mack truck, and he's built like one too.;)