PDA

View Full Version : The "mighty" Vince Young. Sorry, don't think so.

kosmo
01-05-2006, 10:33 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
No, it shows he wants endorsements at the next level. He ain't
Lebron. He ain't Vick. He ain't Young. He isn't charismatic. He is
gonna go the way of Leaf, Marinovich, and other touted college
QB's that bomb at the next level.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O.k., here it goes. I want everyone to watch what happens to the "mighty" Vince Young when he goes pro. Humbling would be the first word I would use and HORRIBLE NFL quarterback would be the second. He is a running back playing quarterback, and that is all he will ever be (see Mike Vick, have you ever seen him win a big game in the pros). I don't think Vince Young has ever made it to his third read. Usually if the first one is not there he is pulling it down and running. Leinart might not be a great Qb himself, but he will much better off in the pros, because he plays QUARTERBACK. Last time I checked, no one ran a zone read option offense in the pros. Why, because the bigger, faster, more aggressive defenses will eat his lunch. All I need to know about VY, I found out after the Heisman presentation. After he lost, all he could do was pout about losing, whining that he let his team down. What a crock of crap. He was crying because he would not get a chance to showboat himself in front of the cameras. And don't come back saying he is not a showboat, because that's all he is. And by the way, your examples of highly touted QB's is not very good. Leaf was a mental case before he went pro and Marinovich got addicted to nose candy once he got to the pros. How about Vince Young being the next in the long line of busted QB's like, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler, Danny Wuerffel, Tommy Frazier(for those who forget, he was a running quarterback), Eric Crouch(see previous), Akili Smith, Cade Mcnown, Tim Couch, and probably the best one of all Quincy Carter. Ouch, who could forget him. Supposed to be the next great QB of the Cowboys because of his improvisation if a play busted was one of the worst QB's to ever wear the Cowboy uniform. I would rather have Babe Laughenberg play under center. Oh well, enough bashing of the poor lad. Let the rebuttals begin.

Report this post to a moderator

pirate4state
01-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Dang, you had to post it twice??? :nerd:

Okay so here is my well thought out rebuttal...:p

originally posted by pirate4state
blah, blah, blah...hows that for a rebuttal??? I'm sick of all of this. I'm gonna let ya'll wallow in your misery over VINCE-sanity.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!

besides...I have work to do. :weeping:

Okay...now I have to get to work. :)

Black_Magic
01-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by kosmo
quote:

O.k., here it goes. I want everyone to watch what happens to the "mighty" Vince Young when he goes pro. Humbling would be the first word I would use and HORRIBLE NFL quarterback would be the second. He is a running back playing quarterback, and that is all he will ever be (see Mike Vick, have you ever seen him win a big game in the pros). I don't think Vince Young has ever made it to his third read. Usually if the first one is not there he is pulling it down and running. Leinart might not be a great Qb himself, but he will much better off in the pros, because he plays QUARTERBACK. Last time I checked, no one ran a zone read option offense in the pros. Why, because the bigger, faster, more aggressive defenses will eat his lunch. All I need to know about VY, I found out after the Heisman presentation. After he lost, all he could do was pout about losing, whining that he let his team down. What a crock of crap. He was crying because he would not get a chance to showboat himself in front of the cameras. And don't come back saying he is not a showboat, because that's all he is. And by the way, your examples of highly touted QB's is not very good. Leaf was a mental case before he went pro and Marinovich got addicted to nose candy once he got to the pros. How about Vince Young being the next in the long line of busted QB's like, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler, Danny Wuerffel, Tommy Frazier(for those who forget, he was a running quarterback), Eric Crouch(see previous), Akili Smith, Cade Mcnown, Tim Couch, and probably the best one of all Quincy Carter. Ouch, who could forget him. Supposed to be the next great QB of the Cowboys because of his improvisation if a play busted was one of the worst QB's to ever wear the Cowboy uniform. I would rather have Babe Laughenberg play under center. Oh well, enough bashing of the poor lad. Let the rebuttals begin.

Report this post to a moderator You just showed how little you know about football talent:doh: :nerd: :doh: Even Ronnie Lot who may know just a Little about what makes a great QB, said he was the greatest QB he had EVER seen!! VY is the kind of player who inspires a team to play that type of offense and then turn him lose. After last night, if you cant see that you truely have NO eye for tallent.

Old Tiger
01-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't get why Texas are taking USC's back in this whole deal....

CHS_Grad '85
01-05-2006, 10:44 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/photos/P/PRB17601050620-big.jpg

They are cool with each other... let's do the same...

Old Tiger
01-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Even Marcus Allen said that.

WOSgrad
01-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Right now. You are right, Vince Young is probably not ready to START in the NFL. But very few quarterbacks coming straight out of college are. But as the tools, of which he has many, are developed under the right system in the NFL, he could be another Steve McNair, which is not a bad thing.

The litany of names that you mentioned as failures in the NFL I don't know to be applicable here:

Andre Ware- A product of a system at UH which other coaches had not gotten a handle on yet. That, plus Mr. Ware had the misfortune of being under the tutilage of Wayne Fontes, who I wouldn't want coaching Pop Warner.

Heath Shuler-Sometimes, they just don't work out.

Danny Wuerffel-No arm and everybody knew it. Of course, the lack of arm has been a criticism most notably leveled at Mr. USC.

Tommy Frazier & Eric Crouch-Everyobdy knew that they couldn't throw. Even Frazier himself knew he wasn't NFL quarterback material and the only one who thought Crouch was was himself.

Akili Smith, Cade Mcnown & Tim Couch - Never thought that they possess the skills to be quarterbacks in the NFL.

And finally, Quincy Carter. Quincy made an excellent decision to come out and convince JJ that he was the Cowboy's QB of the future, because he wasn't even going to be the starting QB had he stayed at UGA for his senior year.

Will VY avoid this pile of, well, less than stellar QBs? I don't know!
Those that annoint Vince as a savior of the Texans or whatever team would take him if he comes out are just as foolish as those who condemn him to doom. I tell you what, let's wait to put a label on his NFL career until he even starts it...given that start may not even be until 2007!

chugbug
01-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Everybody has a right to their own opinion, and I respect yours. You will also have to respect mine. I think that you are full of s#$%$#$%$it.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

zeus63
01-05-2006, 11:32 AM
267yds passing, 200 yards rushing, 3TD's. Speaks for itself.

neck_94
01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
well, all Im gonna say is ...

That Sims kid is playing in the NFL... and VINCE YOUNG is 100 times better than he ever was. So, draw your own conclusion.

kosmo
01-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by neck_94
well, all Im gonna say is ...

That Sims kid is playing in the NFL... and VINCE YOUNG is 100 times better than he ever was. So, draw your own conclusion.

That is what I am talking about nugget. Simms is a pocket passer, and he was not all that good when he was at Texas. He beat out Major Applewhite because he was Mack Brown's goldenboy. By the way, this should be Mack Brown's second national title, if not more. Had he played the better QB, i.e. Applewhite, he would have already had the monkey off his back. But, that is a whole different thread. But you can train a guy with pocket passing skills to be a better QB, making the right reads, calling audibles, checking to the third and fourth receiver. You cannot train a guy who doesn't have the pocket skills to be a pocket passer. (See Mike Vick reference above). Please save this thread for reference when Young tanks as a pro QB.

STANG RED
01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
You cannot train a guy who doesn't have the pocket skills to be a pocket passer. (See Mike Vick reference above). Please save this thread for reference when Young tanks as a pro QB.

Your wrong Kosmo! Roger Staubach, Steve Young, Joe Montana were all scramblers that had to learn to be pocket passers. Of course pocket passing can be taught!

slpybear the bullfan
01-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Yup. Joe Montana... that little, scrambling, weak-armed kid who turned out to be good. ;)

Tell ya what... I respect Kosmo's opinion. But I think I will take Mel Kiper's over Kosmo's.

I Bleed Red08
01-05-2006, 07:04 PM
quote:

Report this post to a moderator i agree and disagree, personally i think Vince Young and that tight end are the Longhorns. So it might as well be the Vince Young Longhorns.
I also believe that USC should have won, but don't get me wrong. I was pulling for Texas but I think if that one touchdown was taken back from when Vince Young pitched it after his knee had touched. USC would have taken the ball game.

sweetwater07
01-05-2006, 07:23 PM
i think VY is not ready for the NFL i'll give him his props for last nights game...very very nice.....BUT VY isn;t used to teams that can actually tackle...he got rapped up last night several times but still didn;t take one sack...i think in the pros he will be hit and have his world rocked from those big NFL lineman and linebackers.
and his play is the option....no options in the NFL he will be in a world that he doesn't like one bit...........so i look forward to him going and be a complete disaster....

STANG RED
01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
OK Kosmo07, whatever you say. Funny how most of the real experts that really know football, dont think that at all.

sinton66
01-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by I Bleed Red08
i agree and disagree, personally i think Vince Young and that tight end are the Longhorns. So it might as well be the Vince Young Longhorns.
I also believe that USC should have won, but don't get me wrong. I was pulling for Texas but I think if that one touchdown was taken back from when Vince Young pitched it after his knee had touched. USC would have taken the ball game.

I disagree. Vince already had the first down when he pitched the ball. I have to believe the way Texas was playing, they would have scored on the next play or two anyway. They would have had four shots at it if needed.

wos fan1
01-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Me to. I think they would have scored anyway. You know what?? Texas won the National Championship, bottom line.

West22
01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH KOSMOS ON THIS ISSUE .THEIR IS NO DOUBT THAT HIS PERFORMANCE WAS AS GOOD AS I HAVE EVER SEEN ,THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT HE HAD ALL DAY TO HIT AN OPEN RECIEVER WHICH WILL NOT HAPPEN IN THE PROS .THE HISTORY OF SCRAMBLERS IN THE PROS HAVE NOT BEEN TO GREAT .ACCURACY ON THE DEEP PLAYS COULD CREATE A PROBLEM .THE PRO LINEBACKERS WILL NOT MISS MANY TACKLES .I CONGRULATE TEXAS AND VINCE ON A GREAT JOB.HE MOST LIKLEY WOULD HAVE A GOOD CHANCE AT POSSIBLE TIGHT END .REGUARDLES I WISH HIM ALL THE SUCCESS IN THE WORLD .

slpybear the bullfan
01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by I Bleed Red08

So... If Vince is ruled down, then it is first and 10 from inside the 15. That certainly does not assure you that the touch down would not have been scored. The way that game was played, it was pretty good money they would have scored a few play(s) later.

The REFs did not cost them that game. VY in the last 6 mins cost them that ball game. That... and one Defensive play by the Horns when it counted.

Gobbla2001
01-05-2006, 10:42 PM
And if they call the interception correctly, USC doesn't put points on the board for that drive... incorrect calls offset, 1st and Champs Longhorns...

sahen
01-06-2006, 03:20 AM
i would have argued w/ the VY people that dont think he will bea good pro before last night, but last night i honestly can say he looked like the second coming of randall cunningham.....he isnt small and gonna get killed like michael vick, he doesnt only rely on his legs....he is like cunningham in that he will throw it when he needs to but when he has to he can run the ball and has the size to take a hit....he also is extremely good at not taking a direct hit....one touchdown he ran for looked exactly like cunningham, cant remember which one it was but he pumped faked when he was 2 or 3 yards passed the line of scrimmage to throw a linebacker off just enough to slip by into the endzone, that was vintage cunningham right there.....now im not about to say he will be as sucessful as cunningham because that depends on more than one factor, mainly what team he gets drafted by, but i think he can play in the NFL....i dunno how well he will do if he plays there next year, i think one more year of college would prolly do him a some good but he will get his chance at the next level....

Black_Magic
01-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I disagree. Vince already had the first down when he pitched the ball. I have to believe the way Texas was playing, they would have scored on the next play or two anyway. They would have had four shots at it if needed. Exactly right! The TD was comming anyway in a couple of downs . He pitched the ball from the 10-12 after getting the First down. What about the Interception the Texas player had that was not reviewed????:eek: SC scored a TD on that drive. what about the 7 pts left of the field by the UT kicker. 2 FGs and 1 Xtp..??? Texas could have beaten them by 20

Old Tiger
01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
8 shots because they could of had 4 inside the 2 yard line

sinton66
01-06-2006, 10:34 AM
For all the VY nay-sayers, how are you going to argue with his success? The staff at UT finally figured out they needed to let Vince be himself, and how has he responded? With a 20 game winning streak including a National Championship. USC is a great team, but what happened? 34 game winning streak----SNAPPED.
TWO Heisman winners in the same backfield---Shown up by a distant Heisman runner-up. TTHIRD consecutive National Championship------FOILED. Give the man his due.

Macarthur
01-06-2006, 11:02 AM
All I have to say is that on The Ticket, Norm Hitzges said his NFL contacts believe him to be at least a top 5 pick now. They also said he is further along than Vick was at this point in his career.

The fact is we never know which of these QBs will be successful in the NFL. I personally do not think Lienert will be a good pro, but I could well be wrong.

What you can't deny is that was one of, if not the best, individual performances I have ever seen in a college game.

Whsdogs
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Vince Young...first qb EVER in the histor of the NCAA...to THROW for 2500 yards andddd run for 1000....hmm i dont recall any of those busted qbs passing for 2500 yards..

football4life
01-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Well really now the only question is whether he will go 1, 2, or 3. Mel Kiper said there is a good possibility of him going to the Texans at 1, and whatever mel and his hair says, I'm going to believe.

zeus63
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
So... If Vince is ruled down, then it is first and 10 from inside the 15. That certainly does not assure you that the touch down would not have been scored. The way that game was played, it was pretty good money they would have scored a few play(s) later.

The REFs did not cost them that game. VY in the last 6 mins cost them that ball game. That... and one Defensive play by the Horns when it counted.

I look at it this way. Even if they had ruled that Young's knee was down, they still would have been in field goal range (considering they did not push it in for 6. Then if you turn around and get the officials to change the ruling on the interception that was ruled an incompletion. If it is ruled an interception you take away USC's field goal. Those tow calls alone make the final score USC 35- Texas 37. This is assuming that if the second of the mentioned calls did not result in another field goal or a touchdown for Texas, in which case the score would have either been 35-40 Texas or 35-44 Texas. Either way Texas comes home with the National Championship. USC, Texas, both great teams, both stood a chance to come home with the trophy, it just happened to be the Longhorns. And, for those of you thinking that my opinion is biased, keep in mind that I am an alumni of TEXAS A&M.

kosmo
01-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
Vince Young...first qb EVER in the histor of the NCAA...to THROW for 2500 yards andddd run for 1000....hmm i dont recall any of those busted qbs passing for 2500 yards..

O.k. How about Danny Wuerffel's wondeful Heisman campaign, 3625 yds, 39TD's, 170.5 passing efficiency. More than Mr. Young in all three categories. And at last check, he was a major bust. Let's just hope and pray that Kiper is wrong and the Texans don't use the first pick on him. I don't think they need Reggie Bush either, but that is another thread all together.

Haunta Yo
01-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Last time I checked, no one ran a zone read option offense in the pros.

Last time I checked, the pro defenses aren't allowed to touch the QB or else it results in a penalty :D

Maybe NFL guys should use all these rules to their advantage and start runnin' some option !

TheDOCTORdre
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I choose not to reply to this thread at this time due to the fact that arguing with a guy who has established himself on this board with a whole nine posts would be ridiculous for me.

pirate4state
01-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I choose not to reply to this thread at this time due to the fact that arguing with a guy who has established himself on this board with a whole nine posts would be ridiculous for me. :doh: Why didn't the rest of us realize this? :thinking: Nice one Dre! :clap:

Black_Magic
01-07-2006, 11:57 AM
O.k. How about Danny Wuerffel's wondeful Heisman campaign, 3625 yds, 39TD's, 170.5 passing efficiency. More than Mr. Young in all three categories. And at last check, he was a major bust. Let's just hope and pray that Kiper is wrong and the Texans don't use the first pick on him. I don't think they need Reggie Bush either, but that is another thread all together. Doing it on the Ground is at least twice as impresive as in the air. the 1000 yards on the ground is worth 2000 in the air. add that to the 2500 in the air. Its the equivalent of about a QB throwing for over 5000 yards in a single season or a RB rushing for 2,500-2,800 yards in a season.

injuredinmelee
01-07-2006, 12:20 PM
the haters just come out of the woodwork... are they all sore aggie fans? I dont get it.

sinton66
01-07-2006, 12:26 PM
O.k. How about Danny Wuerffel's wondeful Heisman campaign, 3625 yds, 39TD's, 170.5 passing efficiency. More than Mr. Young in all three categories. And at last check, he was a major bust. Let's just hope and pray that Kiper is wrong and the Texans don't use the first pick on him. I don't think they need Reggie Bush either, but that is another thread all together.

Where would Joe Montana's career have been without Jerry Rice? Where would Roger Staubach's career have been without Drew Pearson? Where would Troy Aikman's career have been without Michael Irvin AND Jay Novacek? Bottom line is it takes at least two to tango. If Wuerfel had the same kinds of opportunities, he might have surprized a few, who knows?

Vince Young is a super athlete, turned in an AMAZING game effort, but he DIDN'T win the NC all by himself. He is surrounded by a lot of other very good atheletes that played a big part in the win. Football is a TEAM sport, always has been and always will be at any level. So, whether Vince can cut it at the next level or not will depend on several things getting added to the equation, but natural talent isn't one of them.

injuredinmelee
01-07-2006, 12:32 PM
i love you vince