PDA

View Full Version : It's almost here (USC vs. Texas)

Gobbla2001
01-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Figured I'd let you guys know what I'm thinking about this...

As far as the USC media coverage is concerned, I am one of the ones who is confused as to why they are getting so MUCH more of the coverage... However, it is not because I believe they DO NOT deserve it, or that they are in NO WAY the best team ever, I am confused by their coverage in a "Why it has to be that way" type of way... As I've stated, I understand "WHY' they get that much coverage, heck, halves aside, they've won 2 straight and are going for a 3rd... In my honest belief, they have the best point-producing "Machine" that I have ever seen... Their points aren't just scored on offense, the other point-producer is on special teams, that being the one-man show himself, Reggie Bush... Whether he scores on special teams or not, he sets the offense and himself up for a score, he does a great job...

I do not hate USC, I have so much respect for their coaches, their players and their fans no matter how far anyone wants to take this Cali/Texas deal, they're a class act...

What do I think about the game? I think Texas' defense will face the best offense they have faced since the Huskers when they were in their day... But it will be the most 'versitile' offense they've faced since Oklahoma and White... But this defense will be the best out of the ones who faced those teams, D. Johnson will be the only player we'd miss on this defense when you look at the match-up between the D and USC O, but not by that much...

As far as offense goes look for the same ole same ole for part of it, but also look for some things that may catch you off guard... If UT is anywhere in USC territory and are faced with a 3rd and 1/inches, expect to see UT bring in Melton to force the USC D to play goal-line, but instead of running Melton, expect a shot at the endzone or just a basic pass to gain 10+yardage... if it doesn't work, then go to the big man Melton...

A negative for UT would be their schedule... Not that their schedule wasn't as tough, but it did not present as much of a challenge for UT as did USC's... USC has battled back time and time again this season and is VERY battle-tested, but the main reason being because they did not come out strong enough at the start of the game... They've been able to win the others, but they weren't playing Texas...

The biggest negative for UT in this game is that they are playing in the Rose Bowl, which happens to be USC's home-turf, expect USC to bring a ton of heart to this game, more than a ton actually... This may end up being UT's biggest challenge...

My prediction:

In regards to UT's special teams, minus Bush on the offensive side of USC's special teams, UT wins the all around special teams battle... They can do it offensively on special teams and most-importantly defensively...

I believe the special teams play, the o/d-line play and the defense wins the ball game tonight, there is no other way... If Young plays a great game, so will Leinart and vise versa, they will be in a consistant competition with one another throughout the night, so it all comes back to the special teams, o/d-line and defense...

With that said, and I admit a tad of 'homerism' here, I say Texas wins by a few...

Let's cheer these 19 Texan starters for the Longhorns on and hope they represent the State of Texas, the reason we are all here, well...