PDA

View Full Version : useless information.....

DU_stud04
01-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Missouri Researchers Find Largest Prime Number........

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Researchers at a Missouri university have identified the largest known prime number, officials said Tuesday.

The team at Central Missouri State University, led by associate dean Steven Boone and mathematics professor Curtis Cooper, found it in mid-December after programming 700 computers years ago.

A prime number is a positive number divisible by only itself and 1 — 2, 3, 5, 7 and so on.

The number that the team found is 9.1 million digits long. It is a Mersenne prime known as M30402457 — that's 2 to the 30,402,457th power minus 1.

Mersenne primes are a special category expressed as 2 to the "p" power minus 1, in which "p" also is a prime number.

"We're super excited," said Boone, a chemistry professor. "We've been looking for such a number for a long time."

The discovery is affiliated with the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search, a global contest using volunteers who run software that searches for the largest Mersenne prime.

S-WtrMustangFan
01-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I have know idea what i just read.:confused: :confused:

LH Panther Mom
01-04-2006, 03:22 PM
All I can say is.......

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

kepdawg
01-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Cool! I was wondering about prime numbers just the other day!

DU_stud04
01-04-2006, 03:24 PM
"We're super excited," ........ :rolleyes: :confused:

yea, way to go.....i wonder how long it took them to prove a number so freakin big is prime..... waste of time really

atleast next time i do count to 9.1millionwhatever, ill remember it is prime.....:rolleyes:

S-WtrMustangFan
01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Im in my prime.lol :eek: :eek: :eek:

STANG RED
01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Boy do I feel stupid! All this time, I could have sworn it was 2 to the 30,402,456th power -1.
My bad! I'll try to do better from now on.

DU_stud04
01-04-2006, 03:27 PM
hahaha

44INAROW
01-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04

They didn't talk much about "prime numbers" in my FOM classes when I was in school :D

CHS_CG
01-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
They didn't talk much about "prime numbers" in my FOM classes when I was in school :D

They probably had just figured out what prime numbers were back then:p

just playin ya know i love ya 44!:kiss:

AP Panther Fan
01-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Researchers at a Missouri university have identified the largest known prime number, officials said Tuesday.

The team at Central Missouri State University, led by associate dean Steven Boone and mathematics professor Curtis Cooper, found it in mid-December after programming 700 computers years ago.

A prime number is a positive number divisible by only itself and 1 — 2, 3, 5, 7 and so on.

The number that the team found is 9.1 million digits long. It is a Mersenne prime known as M30402457 — that's 2 to the 30,402,457th power minus 1.

Mersenne primes are a special category expressed as 2 to the "p" power minus 1, in which "p" also is a prime number.

"We're super excited," said Boone, a chemistry professor. "We've been looking for such a number for a long time."

The discovery is affiliated with the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search, a global contest using volunteers who run software that searches for the largest Mersenne prime.

Good grief, it is going to take me awhile to find a safe enough place to file this useful information.:rolleyes: ;)

spiveyrat
01-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Some poor students' college fees and probably some of our tax money was spent finding that number. Whew! I feel so much better now. :crazy:

44INAROW
01-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
They probably had just figured out what prime numbers were back then:p

just playin ya know i love ya 44!:kiss:

look at you :hand: :hand: :hand:

:D :D

PI r SQUARED :inlove:

spiveyrat
01-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

PI r SQUARED :inlove:

No silly! Pie are round... Cornbread are square! :D;)

STANG RED
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
No silly! Pie are round... Cornbread are square! :D;)

The best cornbread is made in an old iron skillet.
Therefore, the best cornbread are round too...........Silly!

Butkus
01-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
dang it big bro dont be givin out mammas secrets.

LH Panther Mom
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
My mother has a square iron skillet that she uses for cornbread. :p

44INAROW
01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
My mother has a square iron skillet that she uses for cornbread. :p

you beat me to it lol.. I have an old iron skillet that is square, but it is not nearly as "seasoned" as my round one........ :D

neck_06
01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
what would drive you to look for something like that? i mean, are they gonna put their names in a book or something? maybe they should just name it after them like all the science things.

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

STANG RED
01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
dang it big bro dont be givin out mammas secrets.

Your not gonna tell on me are ya?
Guess we need ta by her 1 of them square 1s them gals is talkin about. I never hurd of 1 of them befor. Wish i had nown befor Christmas.

football4life
01-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Great job nerdos!!:nerd: :nerd:

Sheesh, can't they find something better to do than sit around on a computer?.....:rolleyes: ;)

CHS_CG
01-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Great job nerdos!!:nerd: :nerd:

Sheesh, can't they find something better to do than sit around on a computer?.....:rolleyes: ;)

nope

MHSvarsity2007
01-05-2006, 12:52 AM
needless to say, i had algebra II today and i have discovered that i greatly despise all aspects of math.

Haunta Yo
01-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
what would drive you to look for something like that? i mean, are they gonna put their names in a book or something? maybe they should just name it after them like all the science things.

Encryption!!!
Prime numbers are at the root of current computer security techniques involving cryptography such that the level of security is approximately equivalent the difficulty of factoring.

Prime numbers are the locks that preserve the secrets that are racing through the electronic shopping mall.
Each e-business chooses two big primes, p and q, which they keep secret. The product of these primes, N=pxq, is made public. A calculation using N encrypts your credit card, but the only way to undo the calculation and decrypt the secret message is to know the secret primes p and q. Cracking codes is the same as cracking the public number N into its prime building blocks. It's a bit like a chemist who wants to know the atoms inside a compound. Although chemists have solved their problem, mathematicians lack any fast way to do this prime-number spectroscopy - to the relief of internet cryptographers.

MHSvarsity2007
01-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Encryption!!!
Prime numbers are at the root of current computer security techniques involving cryptography such that the level of security is approximately equivalent the difficulty of factoring.

Prime numbers are the locks that preserve the secrets that are racing through the electronic shopping mall.
Each e-business chooses two big primes, p and q, which they keep secret. The product of these primes, N=pxq, is made public. A calculation using N encrypts your credit card, but the only way to undo the calculation and decrypt the secret message is to know the secret primes p and q. Cracking codes is the same as cracking the public number N into its prime building blocks. It's a bit like a chemist who wants to know the atoms inside a compound. Although chemists have solved their problem, mathematicians lack any fast way to do this prime-number spectroscopy - to the relief of internet cryptographers.

:confused:thats exactly what i was going to say.:doh:

Butkus
01-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Your not gonna tell on me are ya?
Guess we need ta by her 1 of them square 1s them gals is talkin about. I never hurd of 1 of them befor. Wish i had nown befor Christmas.
dad gum u or bubba gonna have ta get her one of those. ya no her birthdays coming up and bubba forgot ta get her snuff fur Christmas so thats what ima gonna get her is a case of snuff. u and that worthless other brother gonna have ta decide on that skillet.

zeus63
01-05-2006, 11:39 AM
All i can say is wow!! Have you seen the movie "The 40 year old Virgin". Apparently there's not just one.

spiveyrat
01-05-2006, 11:43 AM

I grew up eating round cornbread too. It was just part of an old joke... silly. :)

STANG RED
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
All i can say is wow!! Have you seen the movie "The 40 year old Virgin". Apparently there's not just one.

Butkus aint no virgin! I no fer a fact, hes been sneekin in the sheep pin since he wuz 12 or so.

CHS_CG
01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Butkus aint no virgin! I no fer a fact, hes been sneekin in the sheep pin since he wuz 12 or so.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

thats just something that yall should keep to yourself! lol

STANG RED
01-05-2006, 11:54 AM
dad gum u or bubba gonna have ta get her one of those. ya no her birthdays coming up and bubba forgot ta get her snuff fur Christmas so thats what ima gonna get her is a case of snuff. u and that worthless other brother gonna have ta decide on that skillet.
Yur case of snuff is good gift Butkus. I wuz gonna get her a plug er 2 of chaw, but with only that one good tooth she has, snuff is probly better. guess ill see if i can find onea them square skillits. i thank bubbas gitten her a case of duv loads fer her 12 gage 2 barel shoot gun.

Butkus
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Yur case of snuff is good gift Butkus. I wuz gonna get her a plug er 2 of chaw, but with only that one good tooth she has, snuff is probly better. guess ill see if i can find onea them square skillits. i thank bubbas gitten her a case of duv loads fer her 12 gage 2 barel shoot gun.
i think thats a good idea ya no how she loves that 2 barel shoos gun just hope ole bubba dont ferget this time.

STANG RED
01-05-2006, 12:02 PM
i think thats a good idea ya no how she loves that 2 barel shoos gun just hope ole bubba dont ferget this time.

i thank hez loadin em his own self. saw him grindin up yur trotline waits yesterday fer the pelluts.

Butkus
01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
i thank hez loadin em his own self. saw him grindin up yur trotline waits yesterday fer the pelluts.
ya no someday ima gonna kill him.

DaHop72
01-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I grew up eating round cornbread too. It was just part of an old joke... silly. :)
Cornbread and red beans was a staple at our house.

STANG RED
01-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Cornbread and red beans was a staple at our house.
It's still one of my favorites. My wife just has to leave the house for day or so afterwards.
The question is DaHop72, have you ever seen a square iron skillet?
By the way, where in the heck have you been?

DaHop72
01-05-2006, 12:28 PM
It's still one of my favorites. My wife just has to leave the house for day or so afterwards.
The question is DaHop72, have you ever seen a square iron skillet?
By the way, where in the heck have you been?
Stang Red, I don't think I have ever seen a square cornbread skillet. Sometimes mom made it in a square pan, but not a skillet. I had taken vacation at the end of the year and then a close friends wife died, so I was tied up trying to help him anyway that I could. Little Dribblers has started now, so I have been pretty hooked up, ready for it to slow down.