PDA

View Full Version : Bullard 50 Fairfield 48

mwynn05
01-04-2006, 01:47 AM
BULLARD - Bullard senior Brody Greene has built a reputation as a playmaker, either on the basketball court or the baseball field.

It was on the hardwood Tuesday night that he added another block to his legacy at Bullard, ranked No. 1 in the state in Class 3A.

Down by one to No. 7 Fairfield, Greene took the ball the length of the court and sunk the game-winning layup with five seconds remaining to give Bullard a dramatic 50-48 win over Fairfield in front of a packed house at Panther Gymnasium.

"I knew he was going to the hole, and something good is going to happen when he does," said Bullard head coach Ryan Tomlin.

The crowd, nearing an estimated 1,100, never fell short of supplying the game with extra dosages of intensity, especially in the waning seconds.

Fairfield (18-2) took a lead for the first time since the first quarter when point guard Billy McMillian lofted a prayer four feet behind the three-point line. It went through and the visitors stands shook as Fairfield led 48-47 win nine seconds remaining.

The dramatic shot also put Bullard's No. 1 ranking in jeopardy in a gym it hadn't lost in nearly a year.

Greene, who finished three assists short of a triple-double, took the inbound pass and jetted the length of the court to give Bullard (18-1) the lead and the eventual win. Miles Hood sunk 1-of-2 free throws with a second left to make the final score.

"I just knew I had to get the ball as quick as I could and get down and score," said Greene, who finished with 12 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. "We knew we were behind and had to get the win. When he hit that three, it was huge. We knew we couldn't let this happen at home."

The win was another monumental one for Bullard, which held an eight-point lead on two occasions. Senior Chad Sherman connected on crucial 3-pointers and led all scorers with 20 points in a game where both teams made less than a third of their shots.

Sherman also added eight boards for Bullard, while Hood contributed 12 points, including two much-needed treys, and seven rebounds.

McMillian scored 13 points, grabbed eight rebounds and dished out five assists for Fairfield, while Jarrett Manning kept the Eagles in the game with 11 points and two huge 3-pointers down the stretch.

---

No. 1 Bullard 50, No. 7 Fairfield 48

At Panther Gymnasium, Bullard

Fairfield 10 10 15 13 - 48

Bullard 13 12 13 12 - 50

FAIRFIELD - Billy McMillian, 13; Nolan Meltontree, 7; Alfraid Manning, 5; Jarrett Manning, 11; Chase Gillian, 7; Malcolm Woodruff, 5. FG: 18-60. FT: 8-14.

BULLARD - Brody Greene, 10; Cody Hopkins, 2; Justin Emery, 2; Chad Sherman, 20; Drew Cavender, 4; Miles Hood, 12. FG: 18-53. FT: 9-20.

THREE POINT GOALS - F: McMillian (2), J. Manning (2); B: Sherman (3), Hood (2).

TURNOVERS - Fairfield, 18; Bullard, 18.

RECORDS - Fairfield 18-2; Bullard 18-1.

NEXT UP - Bullard at Tatum, 7:30 p.m. Friday.

JV GAME - Fairfield 64, Bullard 63 (OT).

EST. ATT. - 1,100.
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15865001&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=374749&rfi=6

kaorder1999
01-04-2006, 01:49 AM
sounds like it was a good one

eagles_victory
01-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Yea it was a tough game to lose for us.

mwynn05
01-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
sounds like it was a good one It was I wish we could have pulled it out but I think you can learn more from that loss than a win it's a huge game but it is only non district that game will be key in prepartion of playing in Mexia which is a wild place to play