PDA

View Full Version : Any 3ADL guitar players?

3afan
01-01-2006, 01:00 PM
lets here from you - need some advice on an acoustic !!!

Old Tiger
01-01-2006, 01:13 PM
banjo count?

3afan
01-01-2006, 03:47 PM
thx - dont think so

Maroon87
01-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I've got a Fender Squier Strat. I'd like to get an acoustic as well. They just sound better when your playing solo.

mrescape43
01-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I've got a Fender Squier Strat. I'd like to get an acoustic as well. They just sound better when your playing solo.

Not when I am playing one! lol

3afan
01-01-2006, 08:18 PM
jason got an acoustic at first monday in canton on friday

the brand is 'jasmine' by takamine, the guy said it would be good to learn on

hes gonna use it to go along with his great singing abilities :rolleyes:

slpybear the bullfan
01-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Guilty. I have been playing for 15 years now.

On ascoustics... It all comes down to two things... what kind of tunes you want to play and how much cash you have.

I am playing a fender acosustic right now and love it.... it was the best sounding acoustic under $600 imho.... but there are a billion guitarists out there and they all have opinions, LOL!

footsball
01-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
lets here from you - need some advice on an acoustic !!! what kind of advice are you looking for?
:thinking:

3afan
01-01-2006, 10:06 PM
like what is a good starter to learn how to play?

MHSvarsity2007
01-01-2006, 10:11 PM
i play bass so i couldn't help you. :) bass is easy though.

Rabbit'93
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
been playing off and on for about 7 years.

IMO any good guitar is great to learn on. Takamine is a quality guitar. I just hope Jason has lots of patience. Something I don't have.

footsball
01-01-2006, 10:27 PM
like what is a good starter to learn how to play?
there are a number of good inexpensive guitars, try this and read the reviews on the ones you like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/content/g=home/index.html/src=00800
i have a dm martin i bought new for around 550 that sounds really good.

slpybear the bullfan
01-01-2006, 11:08 PM
IMHO, musiciansfriend is prolly the best online resource for a beginner to get equipment.

Highschoolfan78
01-01-2006, 11:22 PM
hey i have a Kona acoustic electric and it has a great sound for a cheap price around 250. That's what i play in our band when we do our thing. It has a great sound for its price, but if you are going top of the line, then for sure look into Martin's.

Cameron Crazy
01-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a Alvarez Acoustic guitar awsome....can play a bunch of songs

MHSvarsity2007
01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
IMHO, musiciansfriend is prolly the best online resource for a beginner to get equipment.

thats where i got all my stuff...it's an awesome site.

JHS_c/o_06'
01-02-2006, 12:55 AM
as for acoustics....if your looking to get something that sounds good and is cheap....go with a brand called Kona. Also, you're probably gonna want to get a full body, no matter how cool or light weight some of the cut aways are. You dont get the full sound. If you're look to spend a little bit more money, i'd go with an Alverez. But....what i absolutely recommend more then anything, is to find about a 10 - 15 year old SOLID WOOD full body guitar. Solid wood (as apposed to the glued together wood chips) guitars sound better as they get older. I found a 12 string alverez in my aunts storage that she pretty much let me have, i played around with the twelve string for a while, then decided to take the extra strings off.....the guitar is about 15 years old, and ive pretty much forgot about my epiphone acoustic.

* on a side note, whenever you get your guitar.....buy some Elixer Acoustic strings....its the best you can find....i'm hooked..and wont play on anything else.

3afan
01-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
hey i have a Kona acoustic electric and it has a great sound for a cheap price around 250. That's what i play in our band when we do our thing. It has a great sound for its price, but if you are going top of the line, then for sure look into Martin's.

I saw a Martin for $80K ..... yes, $80K !!!!

3afan
01-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

yes, I've looked on there - tons of selection & seems to be good prices ... free shipping too ------------ thx

footsball
01-02-2006, 09:55 AM
you also have 45 days to try it out to see if you like it or want to return it. on buying used guitars always look at the neck and see how straight and level it is. you dont want one that the strings are close to the neck nut and then high off the body. guitars dont do well if you let them get hot and cold, like leaving them in a car in the summer time. you can go to any music store where they sell them and ask someone what to look for when buying used. good luck and i hope you find a what you are looking for :)

DU_stud04
01-02-2006, 10:01 AM
i have a cheap acoustic from hastings....probly about 80$,....teluride(i think?)

price is cheap but the sound is good i think and ive played on alot of various guitars

vet93
01-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I play an Ibanez AW (Acoustic Electric)...really like the sound and feel. The secret is to play on as many guitars as possible before making a selection. Everyone's taste's are a little bit different. Then it is only a matter of what you can afford. I really like the Taylor guitars....smooth.....but they are a little bit pricey (generally starting at about $1200).

Maroon87
01-02-2006, 12:01 PM
If you live near a Guitar Center, they have Fender acoustic "starter kits" which include everything you need to get started. They're usually right around $100.

Gobbla2001
01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I have three acoustics and one electric...

My acoustics are Yamaha, Ovation and now a First Act...

My electric is a Samick...

The Yamaha, Ovation and Samick were involved in an unfortunate plumbing accident at our old house in Cuero... I had moved out to the little apartment deal at our old house that just had the pool table and stuff in it... I had my guitars in their cases laying flat on the floor... I woke up that morning, did my thing, flushed the toilet and went to school... came back from lunch and I saw water dripping out of the apartment door...

The guitars were kinda wharped, really hard to even notice with your eyes, but you can tell by the sound, the electric really won't play well at all, but the sound on the acoustics was really bad...

So I requested a cheapo for Christmas from my parents, a First Act, and it's actually a very nice guitar with a beautiful sound...

Next I will be getting an Ibanez acoustic or Fender with amp hook-ups etc... those are pretty nice guitars...

In Gibson I've noticed that you pay for the name...

Fender and Ibanez are just my preferences though...

Gobbla2001
01-02-2006, 03:40 PM
And it's funny that I saw this thread, about to go to Victoria to get a capo...

3afan
01-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I bought a Yahama today!

footsball
01-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I bought a Yahama today! dont know that i have ever heard of that one before:D

Gobbla2001
01-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by footsball
dont know that i have ever heard of that one before:D

I have one, he officially retired this Christmas when I got my new guitar...

Highschoolfan78
01-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Gobbla2001 where'd ya get the capo at? Who do you usually deal with in victoria?

3afan
01-06-2006, 06:22 AM
so far so good with the "lessons" ... I have found its easier for me so stand and play rather than sit ... but its a blast, I love playing!

Ranger Mom
01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
My son has 6 guitars....2 fenders, an Ibanez and I forgot what he said the other 2 were.

His favorite one though is one he bought in Mexico for $40!:D

pancho villa
01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Neck_06 playes the flute.

neck_06
01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Neck_06 playes the flute.

HEY MAN!!!! its a clarinet jk! ;) ;) ;)

i did see a high school pic of you in the band with a big TUBA though poncho

Butkus
01-06-2006, 10:34 AM
big brother stang and i play the jug pretty good once it starts to get empty.

3afan
03-08-2006, 08:17 AM
any Ibanez acoustic owners??? i'm thinkin' of upgrading from my low end Yamaha to this (http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AEF30EVV)

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2006, 08:25 AM
any Ibanez acoustic owners??? i'm thinkin' of upgrading from my low end Yamaha to this (http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AEF30EVV)
LHPD & # 55 both have Ibanez acoustics. # 55's looks very similar to that model, only black. LHPD's is a lower end model, without the built-in tuner & is non-electric. Both sound very good. Good luck!

3afan
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
thanks ..... I don't need the electronics but according to the "expert" helping me they do not take away from the sound and only adds a little to the price ... and it sounds soooo good compared to what I have

Rabbit'93
03-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I have an Ibanez acoustic. Had it for 6 yrs. The bridge is starting to pull up on it though. The tone leaves a little to be desired compared to some of the other brands.

smustangs
03-08-2006, 12:57 PM
used to play bass kinda lost interest in though

Gobbla2001
03-08-2006, 01:11 PM

I don't have an Ibanez acoustic/electric, but I have played them many of times in many a different music stores and they're pretty good... I like 'em...

PPHSfan
03-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a huge collection of guitars. If you need one, I will be glad to sell you a nice guitar.

Phantom Stang
03-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Ibanez makes a quality product, and that is definatly a beautiful guitar you're considering.
However, I'm conserned about the wood that it's made of. Maple is a hardwood, which is great for the back and sides, but when used for the top, I doubt it would sound near as good unplugged, as solid(which means non laminated) spruce. Spruce is a comparetivly(sp) soft wood which should produce a louder, warmer sound than maple. Most fine accoustic guitars have solid spruce tops.

PPHSfan
03-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey Doc,

If you are considering upgrading your flat top. I would suggest a nice Taylor.

olddawggreen
03-09-2006, 10:01 AM
jason got an acoustic at first monday in canton on friday

the brand is 'jasmine' by takamine, the guy said it would be good to learn on

hes gonna use it to go along with his great singing abilities :rolleyes:

Tell jason that Austin just got a guitar (not sure what kind) and is taking a few lessons, plus working on it a lot on his own. Who knows, maybe they can get together at Inks this summer and howl at the moon together:D , or at least keep the neighbors up. :) :)

3afan
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
sounds like a plan ..........

Gobbla2001
03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Ibanez.... I doubt it would sound near as good unplugged,

They actually sound good unplugged to me... I like the sound...

Phantom Stang
03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
They actually sound good unplugged to me... I like the sound...
Was that a MAPLE top Ibanez you played, Gobbla?:thinking:

Ibanez makes a quality product, and that is definatly a beautiful guitar you're considering.
However, I'm conserned about the wood that it's made of. Maple is a hardwood, which is great for the back and sides, but when used for the top, I doubt it would sound near as good unplugged, as solid(which means non laminated) spruce. Spruce is a comparetivly(sp) soft wood which should produce a louder, warmer sound than maple. Most fine accoustic guitars have solid spruce tops.

Gobbla2001
03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Was that a MAPLE top Ibanez you played, Gobbla?:thinking:

Heck, pretty sure it was... I played almost every one of the Ibanez's they had at the last place, plus prolly every one of them at Guitar Center in Austin when I lived there... great sound...

Phantom Stang
03-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Heck, pretty sure it was... I played almost every one of the Ibanez's they had at the last place, plus prolly every one of them at Guitar Center in Austin when I lived there... great sound...
I'll admit, my first post was based on "educated speculation".:D
I have however, played spruce top AW Ibanezes, and they DO sound good. :cool:
Of course, it all depends on personal taste.;)

Phantom Stang
03-09-2006, 01:53 PM
BTW, Guitar Center's a great place. Ain't it?

3afan
03-09-2006, 04:54 PM
A NEW CANDIDATE ... (http://www.breedloveguitars.com/products/guitars/atlas/ad20_sm/index.html)

Gobbla2001
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
BTW, Guitar Center's a great place. Ain't it? You know it!!!