PDA

View Full Version : Results from the Fires in Gainesville area

HighSchool Fan
12-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Widespread fire takes toll on local residents

By JENNIFER SICKING, Register Staff Writer
NORTHEAST COOKE COUNTY (Gainesville's County)- Kellie Cox realized the irony of one of the few objects she found where her home once stood.

“Of all the things to survive,” she said as she held out her Bluebird of Happiness figurine Wednesday morning. “It was laying right on top and I was able to pick it up.”

Not much else remained of the mobile home where she and her husband Ricky Cox lived since October. It was destroyed Tuesday night when a fast-moving fire swept over it leaving little but ashes behind.

The fire began early Tuesday afternoon north of the Walnut Bend School when wind caused two electrical lines to touch. The spark created by that striking created a fire that was pushed by 40 mph winds and fed by abundant dry grass and brush. After spending Wednesday morning assessing the damage, fire officials said the fire burned an estimated 6,000 acres, destroyed 14 houses, damaged five houses, destroyed or damaged 10 outbuildings and one woman died as she tried to battle the flames. Officials said a large amount of livestock also died in the fire.

Elena Morrison, 63, died Tuesday as she and her husband battled flames around an old Walnut Bend grocery store and their house. She and her husband were shouting back and forth to each other, then he didn't hear her anymore. When the smoke briefly cleared he saw her lying on the ground.

Gainesville Fire Marshal Jody Henry said officials had warned fire departments Tuesday would be one of the worst days of the season for fires. Nine departments - Muenster, Callisburg, Lake Kiowa, Gainesville, Oak Ridge, Moss Lake, Collinsville, Whitesboro and Lindsay - returned Wednesday to continuing battling fires that burned and to put out embers that sparked fires. Precinct 1's tanker trucks also brought water for the firefighters and a grader cut fire breaks in pastures. The Texas Forestry Service sent two dozers and an airplane to survey the damage from Tuesday night.

During Wednesday, that previous night is what residents recounted. Cox said as she drove from her job in Sherman she didn't think the fire was close to her house. She soon found out differently.

“We tried to get out here and couldn't get out here,” she said. “We had friends down here so we knew it was gone.”

She and her husband attempted to drive another route to their house, but smoke and fire turned them back.

“It was just horrendous driving and we couldn't get here,” she said. “We could just see flames shooting up. It was just the most helpless feeling.”

Cox and her husband stayed with a friend in Gainesville and said they've been offered a house in town where they can stay.

“We're insured. We've got our jobs and our cars,” she said. “Everything's replaceable. We'll just start over.”

Everything except a pet, a miniture Schnauzer named Peekaboo, that died in the fire.

“She's been around a long time,” she said. “She's like one of our kids.”

Chad Briley also lamented the loss of his family's pet Yorkshire terrier named Rusty, who became scared and refused to come out from underneath a bed.

“My wife and son couldn't get to him in time,” he said.

Briley said when he first saw the fire it appeared to be five or six miles from his house and went to help a friend move his horses from County Road 114, where the fire also burned through.

“Then the wind changed and it beat me home,” he said. “We lost everything, even one of our cars.”

As he attempted to drive to his house, Briley said he had to change direction once because fire jumped the road. When the fire jumped the road again, he said he had no choice but to drive through it. In a field, he said he saw seven or eight fire tornadoes that reached about 30 feet in the air.

“I just plunged into it and it was sparks, flames and real dark brown smoke,” he said. “If I didn't know the road I wouldn't have made it. When I came out of it, I was past my house and I couldn't see it because of the smoke.”

After meeting up with his family, they attempted to drive to Whitesboro but again encountered racing flames that jumped the road.

“My dad was honking at me,” he said. “The stuff in the back of my truck was on fire - that's how close we were to it.”

Half of the 10 houses on CR 118 burned in the fire, while others also burned on Hogan's Lane and CR 115. Residents in those areas praised the efforts of neighbors and firefighters for saving their homes.

“Todd Harvey is my hero,” Beth Durham said outside of her house on Hogan's Lane. “I'm very thankful to come in and still have my home. If it wasn't for Todd and two firefighters, I wouldn't have it.”

Harvey said he and two others - Dave Adcock and Dusty Luton - assisted him in putting out the grass fires around the houses in his neighborhood.

“It was pretty bad,” he said. “It was just swirling. The wind changed three different times. It would just come around.”

At one time, Harvey estimated flames reached 100 feet in the air as it burned trees.

He denied being a hero though.

“I'm not,” he said. “I just wanted to save what we had.”

Luton then drove up to check on Harvey and to make sure his house survived the fiery night. When Durham realized Luton was one of the men who assisted Harvey, she rushed to him and hugged him.

“Thank you,” she said. “I was praying for God's angels and he sent you guys.”

Luton, who isn't a firefighter, also denied doing anything special.

“It was just me and my neighbor doing what we could,” he said.

Wayne Dodson, who lives on CR 114, praised the Lake Kiowa Volunteer Fire Department and other firefighters for battling to save buildings on his property. He said he was using a dozer to create a fire break on CR 115 when he was notifed his land was on fire.

“I thought we might have a chance at 115, but it jumped,” he said.

His wife loaded up their horses and moved them to a friend's house in Callisburg. Firefighters sprayed down their yearlings to keep them cool and kept the fire from burning the barn, although it burned up to its edge.

Dodson said the fire moved took quickly for firefighters to get in front of it. He also said he saw vortexes of fire swirling in the fields.

“If you'd been on foot you couldn't get out of there,” he said. “It didn't matter if the grass was four inches or two foot, it would just sweep across it.”

Henry urged Cooke County residents to continue to use extreme caution as dangerous fire conditions continued.

“The humidity's low, the wind's high and the fuel is dangerously easy to ignite,” he said. “Please be careful if you're doing anything that may cause a spark.”

He also said people need to take care when they see a fire.

“If there's a fire, go away from it, not in front of it,” he said. “It's unfortunate when we lose a life. If there's a fire approaching, get out and stay out.”

Thursday morning, firefighter crews continued battling fires north of FM 2383 and north of Walnut Bend School. Cooke County Emergency Management Director Ray Fletcher said dozer crews were cutting into the heavily treed property north of FM 2383 so firefighters could attack fires there.

Damage thus far:

Fatalities: 1

Houses destroyed:14

Houses damaged: 5

Outbuildings (barns, sheds, etc.) destroyed: 8

Outbuildings damaged: 2

Acres burned: 6,000

LewP
12-30-2005, 07:01 PM
High school, do you ever have any thoughts of your own? Or do you just use other people's stories and critisize and judge them?

pirate4state
12-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by LewP
High school, do you ever have any thoughts of your own? Or do you just use other people's stories and critisize and judge them? :eek: WTH?? :doh:

LewP
12-30-2005, 07:26 PM
anything:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
12-30-2005, 09:14 PM
High school, do you ever have any thoughts of your own? Or do you just use other people's stories and critisize and judge them?

Where did that come from all the sudden??:confused:

LewP
12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
RM,
everytime he gets on, he always has a wise comment about my posts.....just giving the Christian man some of his own medicene.

HighSchool Fan
12-31-2005, 05:56 AM
RM,
everytime he gets on, he always has a wise comment about my posts.....just giving the Christian man some of his own medicene.

i've got plenty of thoughts of my own. i can also post a story here. i just don't have to link everything to lame website to try and get hits on it. but since your all in favor of plugging websites. i'm gonna do something different for you. i'm gonna link you to a GREAT website.

Right here lew (http://www.bartleby.com/108/)

LewP
12-31-2005, 07:03 AM
Time to deliver the mail..

3afan
12-31-2005, 08:53 AM
I have not see any evidence of or heard about any fires in Kaufman County .... also drove to Canton yesterday & didnt see anything.

BTW Kaufman County has banned ALL fireworks.

Butkus
12-31-2005, 09:24 AM
ole butkus new years resolution is for loopy to go join his fans at tha smoaky site.

CHS_CG
12-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

BTW Kaufman County has banned ALL fireworks.

Heard last night on the news like 183 counties outta 250 something ( I think dont quote me on the exact numbers but its some where around there) have put up burn bans and banned all fireworks

turbostud
12-31-2005, 11:39 PM
The first two pics are from Arlington, the last is from NorthEast of Gainesville.
http://www.foxnews.com/images/187982/4_23_122705_grass_fires.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/images/187982/2_22_122705_firenew.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/images/188054/12_25_122805_firesa.jpg

turbostud
12-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Heard last night on the news like 183 counties outta 250 something ( I think dont quote me on the exact numbers but its some where around there) have put up burn bans and banned all fireworks

The entire state is under a burn ban. I dont know about fireworks though, they are shooting them off in my hood.

etbu
01-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i've got plenty of thoughts of my own. i can also post a story here. i just don't have to link everything to lame website to try and get hits on it. but since your all in favor of plugging websites. i'm gonna do something different for you. i'm gonna link you to a GREAT website.

Right here lew (http://www.bartleby.com/108/)

Thanks for the webiste bro. :clap: bookmarked it. :D

44INAROW
01-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i'm gonna link you to a GREAT website.

Thanks for the site HSF - sometimes I'll think of a verse and want to read it and I'll be the first to admit I don't know the locations of books/verses as well as I would like to, but that site will help me find them ( after reading that "sentence", I realize it doesn't make sense, but I think you know what I'm saying :)

spiveyrat
01-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Friday as I was leaving Texas I noticed what looked like the beginning of a fire on the West side of I-35 about 2-3 miles from the Oklahoma line. Got several more glimpses of it in my rear view mirror once I was in Oklahoma. Looked like it got to be pretty big in a short amount of time.