Phantom Stang
12-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Go to my new website to see it!!:D

Seriously folks, here it is....

The Class 3,4A team

December 30, 2005

Coach of the year

Mickey Owens, Monahans

Owens took over a Monahans team that went 4-6 in 2004 and turned the Loboes into one of the best teams in the state. Monahans went 10-0 in the regular season and then advanced four rounds deep in the playoffs, finally losing in the 3A Division II quarterfinals.

MVP

Sam Graves, Monahans

5-11, 180, Sr.

Graves followed up a junior season in which he rushed for 560 yards with a senior season that saw him rush for 1,855 yards on 240 carries for a 7.7 yards-per-carry average. He also had 180 receiving yards and was the District 3-3A player of the year.

Quarterbacks

Nathan Bryan, Andrews

6-0, 175, Sr.

Andrews didn't win a game until Week 9, but Bryan kept them in many games prior to that. He completed 148 of 299 passes for 1,706 yards and 14 touchdowns. He also had 103 carries for 398 yards and four touchdowns.

Anthony Sivils, Kerrville Tivy

5-8, 170, Sr.

Sivils led the Antlers to the playoffs this season by passing for 1,134 yards and rushing for 1,192 yards. He had 28 touchdowns for the season. He also played defensive back, where he had 31 tackles and two interceptions.

Running backs

Shane Pope, Llano

5-10, 195, Jr.

Pope led the Yellowjackets to a 7-3 regular-season record and a bidistrict playoff victory by rushing for 1,672 yards on 310 carries. He scored 15 touchdowns for the Yellowjackets, who lost to Cuero in the second round of the playoffs.

Joseph Banyard, Sweetwater

5-10, 175, Jr.

Banyard was a key part of Sweetwater's wishbone attack. In leading the Mustangs to the state semifinals, he rushed for 1,276 yards and 23 touchdowns. He also had three receiving touchdowns for the 13-2 Mustangs.

Wide receivers

Zane Reid, Lake View

6-1, 185, Sr.

Reid led the Chiefs at both receiver and defensive back this season. The senior caught 19 passes for 425 yards and four touchdowns. Defensively, he had 54 tackles, four tackles for loss, one fumble recovery and one interception.

Bart Johnson, Brownwood

6-0, 180, Sr.

Johnson led the Lions at receiver and in the defensive secondary. He caught 20 passes for 437 yards and two touchdowns. He also had 36 tackles, one forced fumble and six interceptions from his defensive back position.

Kicker/punter

Grant Morgan, Llano

6-0, 225, Sr.

Morgan had a 39-yard average punting and converted 28 of 32 extra points. He converted five of seven field goals with a long of 37 yards for the area finalist Yellowjackets.

Utility backs

J.J. Hickman, Fort Stockton

5-10, 170, Sr.

A versatile player who saw action at quarterback, running back and receiver, Hickman rushed for 615 yards on 138 carries, completed 31 passes for 554 yards and had five receptions for 30 yards for the Panthers.

Skye Green, Sweetwater

5-7, 145, Jr.

Another key part of Sweetwater's wishbone offense, Green rushed for 1,194 yards on 121 carries for a 9.8 yards-per-carry average and 24 touchdowns. He also caught 10 passes for 172 yards as the team's second-leading receiver.

Colton Wilber, Greenwood

6-0, 160, Soph.

The leader of Greenwood's playoff-qualifying offense, Wilber rushed for 945 yards and 16 touchdowns and passed for another 700 yards to earn District 3-3A offensive MVP honors as a sophomore.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

Matt Swanson, Monahans

6-0, 200, Sr.

Swanson led the Monahans offensive line with 100 knock downs and 10 pancake blocks. The team averaged 390 yards and 39 points per game en route to a run to the fourth round of the playoffs.

Tyler Hoerster, Llano

6-4, 295, Sr.

A first-team all-district selection, Hoerster anchored the Llano offensive line, paving the way for an offense that averaged 300 yards per game on the ground. The Yellowjackets lost in the second round of the playoffs.

Craig Raschke, Brownwood

6-4, 240, Sr.

The leader of the Brownwood offensive line, Raschke graded out at 87.5 percent for the season, heading Brownwood's multiple attack. The Lions sneaked into the playoffs, where they lost in the first round.

Joe Joe Birdwell, Monahans

6-0, 210, Sr.

Another key part of Monahans' offense, the center had 92 knock downs and 10 pancake blocks for a team that averaged 390 yards and 39 points per game through an undefeated regular season and a run four rounds deep into the playoffs.

Dean Smith, Greenwood

5-11, 165, Soph.

Greenwood's best lineman and only a sophomore, Smith had 63 pancake blocks and graded out at 88 percent for the season for a team that rushed for 270 yards per game for the Rangers. Greenwood lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Defensive Linemen

Steven Richardson, Monahans

5-10, 240, Sr.

The co-defensive player of the year in District 3-3A, Richardson led the Monahans defense with 88 tackles, seven sacks, 13 tackles for loss, 17 quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles for the 13-1 Loboes.

Brandon Fangman, Sweetwater

5-8, 180, Sr.

Fangman led the Sweetwater defense on its way to the state semifinals with 119 total tackles (18 solo) and a team-leading eight sacks for a defense that allowed only 15 points per game on its way to 13 victories.

Adon Santellano, Lake View

6-2, 190, Sr.

A preseason all-West Texas selection, Santellano led the Lake View defense with 55 tackles, three tackles for loss and one sack. He was the only member of the Chiefs' defense named to the 4-4A all-district second team.

Kyle Piercefield, Big Spring

6-2, 230, Sr.

The Steers broke a two-year playoff drought this season, and Piercefield led the way with 51 unassisted tackles, eight assisted tackles, nine tackles for a loss, eight quarterback pressures, two sacks, two fumble recoveries and one interception.

Linebackers

Britton Maxwell, Brownwood

6-0, 205, Sr.

A preseason all-West Texas selection and APSE all-state honorable mention honoree, Maxwell had 112 tackles (42 solo), 17 tackles for loss, six sacks, four forced fumbles, two passes broken up and two quarterback hurries.

Jake Dodds, Brady

5-10, 175, Sr.

A preseason all-West Texas selection, Dodds was one of the bright spots for a rebuilding Brady team. He had a team-leading 131 tackles (31 solo), three sacks and 10 tackles for loss for the 0-10 Bulldogs.

Kyle Prater, Kerrville Tivy

6-1, 200, Soph.

Only a sophomore, Prater led the Antlers defense with 81.5 tackles, two fumble recoveries, five caused fumbles, three sacks, seven tackles for loss, three passes broken up and two blocked kicks.

Lane Flowers, Greenwood

6-2, 215, Jr.

As a junior, Flowers led the Greenwood defense with 102 tackles (68 solo) and 21 tackles for loss. The Rangers went 5-5 in the regular season and advanced to the playoffs, where they lost in the first round to Sweetwater.

Defensive backs

T.J. Bunnell, Llano

5-8, 160, Sr.

A first-team all district selection for the playoff qualifying Yellowjackets, Bunnell had 48 tackles and five interceptions to help lead a defense that allowed 25 points per game for the 8-4 Yellowjackets.

Chris Collins, Monahans

5-11, 160, Sr.

A second-team APSE all-state selection, Collins finished the season with 97 tackles, two tackles for loss, four interceptions and seven passes broken up for a defense that allowed 17 points per game and won 13 games.

Brittain Pittman, Sweetwater

5-10, 161, Sr.

Pittman was another key part of Sweetwater's state semifinal-qualifying defense, finishing the season with 66 tackles and seven interceptions for a defense that allowed only 15 points per game on its way to 13 victories.

Copyright ©2005 - The San Angelo Standard-Times

Ranger Mom
12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Wow!! Greenwood had 2 sophmores and a junior!!

LewP
12-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Go to my new website to see it!!

Funny Stang..:D

Wonder why they group 4A and 3A together?

football4life
12-30-2005, 08:17 PM
What website did this one come from? I know last year there was an all west texas team that included a player or two from up here...

Centextrash
12-30-2005, 08:38 PM
what a joke....

West texas has to be bad if 4 Llano kids made it on a 3A-4A all whatever list. And one from Brady.....WOW....

Maybe it wat just "Big Country" from Abilene area...I could see that MAYBE, but they must have been searching....I promise that Tivay and Fredricksburg had some better kids...

Pope, I could see...maybe

Phantom Stang
12-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by football4life
What website did this one come from? I know last year there was an all west texas team that included a player or two from up here...
www.sanangelostandardtimes.com

Phantom Stang
12-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash
what a joke....

West texas has to be bad if 4 Llano kids made it on a 3A-4A all whatever list. And one from Brady.....WOW....

Maybe it wat just "Big Country" from Abilene area...I could see that MAYBE, but they must have been searching....I promise that Tivay and Fredricksburg had some better kids...

Actually it's teams from the San Angelo paper's coverage area, so you're somewhat right.

When it comes to Brady, are you saying a particular player shouldn't be honored, if he played on a team with a bad record?? Just wondering.:thinking:

sweetwater07
12-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Centextrash
what a joke....

ummm wow what a great first post......or second..either way seems like someone doesn't like west texas

Ranger Mom
12-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Im just still shocked at our underclassmen....maybe I have a little to look forward to next year!!

LewP
12-30-2005, 10:03 PM
RM,
I seriously think Greenwood is gonna have a pretty good team this year. Now, let's see what happens with the realignment.

Centextrash
12-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
ummm wow what a great first post......or second..either way seems like someone doesn't like west texas

no...I'm ok with west texas, But I bet there are better kids than that out there...

Like I said..Pope sure, the OL Hoerster, ok...punter now your reaching.

As for Brady, I watched them play and was impresed with MAYBE one kid, but you cannot tell me that West texas could not find better...

I know West Texas has good ball players, and great teams...

BTW- This is my fisrt post here on its new site...I use to post on the old one....

hornfan
12-31-2005, 01:22 AM
i dont see why you think those llano guys dont deserve to be on that team if you look at all those guys stats you would understand a great olineman a db with 5 ints and 48 tackles a punter who avg nearly 40yds per punt and had a 37 yd field goal and then pope with over 1600 yds rushing all those deserving

Centextrash
12-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I did say Pope...yes and the O-Lineman ...yes

I guess since this is just San Angelo area, I could see why they would select those players.

Trust me...it's no skin off of my nose either way....

Congrats to those players

shadow13
12-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Wow!! Greenwood had 2 sophmores and a junior!! They deserved it, Greenwood is a very good football team, with alot of young talent. They will be a team to reckon with for many years to come.CONGRATS. to those players

injuredinmelee
12-31-2005, 05:14 PM
Wow is it April Fools day already?

TexasHSFootball
12-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Im just still shocked at our underclassmen....maybe I have a little to look forward to next year!!

RangerMom ,
What did I tell you on IM the other day about Greenwood? :thinking:

Didn't I say something to the effect that Greenwood was going to be a team to watch next year? :p

Ranger Mom
01-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
RangerMom ,
What did I tell you on IM the other day about Greenwood? :thinking:

Didn't I say something to the effect that Greenwood was going to be a team to watch next year? :p

Yes Sir!:D

Black_Magic
01-02-2006, 09:38 AM
A Joke... Think about ti. An all west texas 3A team that includes Llano and Brady(central Texas) but does not include Snyder or Wylie??? A Joke. a way its a bone thrown for the towns that take the Substandard Times..:rolleyes:

vet93
01-02-2006, 02:11 PM
BM...the paper industry is a business...of course they are going to include the towns that primarily include their readership. If it makes you feel any better...they usually don't include Abilene area schools either...they let the Abilene Reporter Include those guys in their "all area" team.

Originally posted by Black_Magic
A Joke... Think about ti. An all west texas 3A team that includes Llano and Brady(central Texas) but does not include Snyder or Wylie??? A Joke. a way its a bone thrown for the towns that take the Substandard Times..:rolleyes:

Black_Magic
01-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by vet93
BM...the paper industry is a business...of course they are going to include the towns that primarily include their readership. If it makes you feel any better...they usually don't include Abilene area schools either...they let the Abilene Reporter Include those guys in their "all area" team. I think the problem is what they name it. In lubbock you have an all south plains team . properly named. Abilene has the All Big country team. properly named. Odessa paper has the all permian basin team. AND San Angelo has the ALL WEST TEXAS TEAM and does not include anyone from El Paso, Panhandle or Big Country ( all of which are in "WEST Texas").. they should name it the all Concho Vallye team or something like that. It would be like the Abilene paper having an ALL TEXAS team and and not including anyone from East or south texas in it.:rolleyes: San Angelo's All West texas Team is the least credible of all the others because of the name it is given and because it makes the effort not to include players from Snyder, Wylie, or Clyde , Abilene High ect... but it includes Brownwood??????:doh:

Mustangpride09
01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Dean Smith, Greenwood

5-11, 165, Soph.

Greenwood's best lineman and only a sophomore, Smith had 63 pancake blocks and graded out at 88 percent for the season for a team that rushed for 270 yards per game for the Rangers. Greenwood lost in the first round of the playoffs.

pretty good for a sophmore that only weighs 165.

vet93
01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
If I am not mistaken....Dean may weigh closer to 365 than 165. Seems like he weighed in the high 200's in junior high.

Originally posted by Mustangpride09
Dean Smith, Greenwood

5-11, 165, Soph.

Ranger Mom
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
Dean Smith, Greenwood

5-11, 165, Soph.

Dean weighs WAY more than 165 lbs....I think you must mean 265, that's what the program had him at this season!