PDA

View Full Version : Recruit who was overlooked by most....

Dogman_1969
12-30-2005, 08:29 AM
About two and a half years ago I posted that these so called recruiting experts had missed one of the best DE prospects when they put together the Fab 55 and other top 100 listings. Rockdale had a senior DE named Stryker Sulak who was one of the best pass rushers in the state and yet he wasn't listed on any of the Recruiting pages as one of the best. Well Missouri took a look and offered him a scholarship with Texas, atm, uofo and others not even taking a look.

Over the next three years I look to hear more and more from the Big Man. He's a great kid that survived personal tragedy and has sure made his family and home town proud. My son has a signed photo of Stryker hanging up in his room and was very proud to wear Stryker's old #99 jersey this year as an 8th grade Rockdale Tiger.

Here is part of an article from the local paper.

Rockdale Reporter Online
Two former Tigers in national bowl games this year
Bill Martin's Sports Column

That’s ‘Shoe-Lock’
 Stryker Sulak has a future so bright, he’s gotta wear shades.
 A fan and coach’s darling, Sulak pushed his way into the starting lineup this season and already has people talking.
 Last week, he was named to the first team of the all-Big 12 freshmen team by The Sporting News.
 The Tigers are preparing to take on the ol’ ball Coach Steve Spurrier and South Carolina in the Independence Bowl Friday afternoon in Shreveport.
 The game, which begins at 2:30 p.m., will be televised by ESPN. South Carolina is a 4-point favorite.
 Sulak was recently the subject of an article by the Colombia Daily Tribune concerning the pronounciation of his first and last names. 
 Actually, it was Joseph Stryker Sulak’s middle name they were most curious about. In Missouri’s media guide’s pronunciation guide, it’s broken down as Strik-er Shoe-lock.
 Of course, here at home, the story of the origin of his moniker is a familiar one. He was born during a labor union strike.
 “My parents were calling me Joseph,” he said, “but in kindergarten people kept calling me Stryker, so I started going by Stryker.”
 It seems that along with the correct pronounciation of his name, there are lots of people concerned with the 6-5, 245-pound freshman’s eating habits.
 “I think he’ll get a lot bigger,” said Missouri Coach Gary Pinkel. “We’ve just got to get the guy to eat. He misses meals. He tells me, ‘aw shucks coach, I’m sorry I missed a meal.’ Well, that doesn’t help me, Stryker. I get his weight everyday. I think he’ll be a 265 guy.”
 Just for the record, Sulak has gained 25 pounds since arriving at Missouri last year.
 Seems like his entire appearance is of some concern to almost everybody. On a recent trip home, he had to endure some good-natured ribbing from relatives about the hair growth on his chin.
 No matter what he looks like, there will be a large contingent of Shoe-locks and other family members in Shreveport on Friday afternoon

Johnny Utah
12-30-2005, 04:45 PM
That is awesome!!! Kid from Granger, Brandon Everage, was not recruited by any Texas schools. He was an all american at Oklahoma!!! If they can play, one school somewhere will find them!!!

Dogman_1969
12-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Mizzou is on TV right now. Watch for #38 for the Tigers. He's a 3A centex boy......

Johnny Utah
12-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Blade Bassler has down well also. He might get some tryouts with pro teams, you never know. Travis Ortega had some skill as well, not really heavily recruited by the so called big name schools, but he did start at SS for Rice. I am very sure Rockdale will have some more that make an impact in the future!!! Still amazed that PJ Williams is still playing at his age!! You talk about an athlete!!! Darn good basketball player as well!!!

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-30-2005, 05:07 PM
with a name like Stryker, i wouldnt doubt hed be a good football player on defense.

buffalo2006
12-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Stryker was a hell of a player, he was fast too he picked off a two point conversion screen to a running back and ran it all the way back. He had alot of size but they did not have the team publicity the year he was being recruited, which is sometimes what it takes for a player like that to be reconized. Jason Simpson the all-american free safety who got busted with marijuana, his mom is Giddings' girls basketball coach. His grandpa bought 19 tickets to the game and was pissed.