PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy's Draft this year

Dogman_1969
12-27-2005, 08:39 AM
If you were drafting for the Cowboys this year, what position and who would you target for the draft?

Put some thought into it.........

HighSchool Fan
12-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
If you were drafting for the Cowboys this year, what position and who would you target for the draft?

Put some thought into it.........

the last pick in the draft would be my target. i'd take the best offensive lineman available.

wos fan1
12-27-2005, 09:49 AM
OL..

STANG RED
12-27-2005, 09:59 AM
1. Offensive Lineman
2. Offensive Lineman
3. Linebacker (Big, Strong, & Fast)
4. Quarterback (Has to be mobil)
5. Wide Reciever
6. NEW OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I cant stand him or his plastic face)!!!

Old Tiger
12-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Dr. Pepper Machine....

Diet Pepsi Machine did well for the Patriots last year and so they should get Dr. Pepper Machine, I heard he's much better than Diet Pepsi Machine.

wos fan1
12-27-2005, 10:02 AM
:D

football4life
12-27-2005, 10:57 AM
1.OL
2.QB- we can't keep getting these old dudes
3.OL
4.CB

Adidas410s
12-27-2005, 11:37 AM
to fill in these answers with some "homer" picks...I would go like this

1st round - OL...Ryan O'Callaghan, OT, California (6-6½, 340). He plays tackle which I would say is more of a priority than getting an interior lineman. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, this draft is being graded as one with decent OL depth but not one of any premium talent. That being said, if a "top 10 player" (i.e. - DeAngelo Williams, Jay Cutler, or a Michael Huff) makes it down to the Cowboys then it may become a "take the best player available" pick which Jones hasn't shied away from doing in the past.

2nd AND 3rd rounds - OL/LB/WR...sure wish that Slay from Tech would drop this far but his draft stock has gone from "off the board" to mid/late 1st round with his play this season. I think he could easily be moved to SS or even put on 20 lbs and move to LB to replace a Dat Nguyen should he not return. For a WR position maybe a Maurice Stovall from ND or Hank Baskett of New Mexico. I really think the Cowboys need a big, possession receiver and he brings that to the table with 6'4 220 size.

Dear God...please don't let the Cowboys pick up TO!!!

Late Rounds...obviously everybody would love a mobile QB.

- Omar Jacobs from Bowling Green? He is one guy that has dropped way off the radar screens this year as the talent on their team was way down and they didn't get the TV exposure they did last year.
- Barrick Nealy from Texas State anybody? He is up to #5 on Mel Kiper's QB board...this could be one to watch for sure!
- DJ Shockley of Georgia. He has had great success but only did it for one year so his inexperience will probably push him into the 2nd day of the draft.

Also, picking up another DT and/or MLB wouldn't hurt just for depth purposes.

And finally...KICKER ANYBODY???

S-WtrMustangFan
12-27-2005, 11:42 AM
^^^^^What he said^^^^^

Macarthur
12-27-2005, 12:01 PM
I subscribe to the best player available theory, but here are my position priorities:

1. OT
2. LB
3. S
4. WR
5. C/G

District303aPastPlayer
12-27-2005, 12:24 PM
i have seen some draft boards where Barrick Nealy is top 3 QBs in the draft... dont look for him to last long honestly... the kid is vince young in a texas state jersey.

Dogman_1969
12-27-2005, 12:28 PM
I also think that dallas needs OL help. these OL picks need to come from a good program that passes. It appears that the guys Dallas has drafted were all good run blockers but were not skilled in pass blocking. I'm thinking about the Winston kid from Miami as a possibility (he is a Texas boy). If M Huff slides to the Boys in the draft they have to take him. They could possibly get Winston in the 2nd round (I haven't checked his draft rank). I agree the safety from Tech could do well with Roy as his mentor.

On offense, besides lineman, they need to pick up a receiver that can stretch the field. They have Terry Glenn but they need another to take away the double teams he is getting. I'm with everyone else, NO TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adidas410s
12-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
I also think that dallas needs OL help. these OL picks need to come from a good program that passes. It appears that the guys Dallas has drafted were all good run blockers but were not skilled in pass blocking. I'm thinking about the Winston kid from Miami as a possibility (he is a Texas boy). If M Huff slides to the Boys in the draft they have to take him. They could possibly get Winston in the 2nd round (I haven't checked his draft rank). I agree the safety from Tech could do well with Roy as his mentor.

On offense, besides lineman, they need to pick up a receiver that can stretch the field. They have Terry Glenn but they need another to take away the double teams he is getting. I'm with everyone else, NO TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winston started the year as top 15 overall on Kiper's board (I follow his board cuz its accurate...EVERY year!) but has slid outside of the top 6 offensive tackles!!! :eek: Other than injury potential, what is pushing this guy down the board?

Bull's-eye
12-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Offensive line needs help, kicker, a cover safety, inside line backers and a speedy receiver. Parcells likes to play close games, so why not waste a high draft pick a great kicker? Dallas has lost a couple games because of their kickers and could of lost some other games that they won.:thinking:

injuredinmelee
12-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Dr. Pepper Machine....

Diet Pepsi Machine did well for the Patriots last year and so they should get Dr. Pepper Machine, I heard he's much better than Diet Pepsi Machine.

thats good.
I have to say OL and QB. Thery are both glaring weaknesses. As long as Jerry is GM Dallas will continue to be CRAP!

injuredinmelee
12-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I also have to add I think Roy Williams is worthless against the pass. Agaisnt the run he is fine but couldnt cover my fat butt up the middle of the field. My knickname for him is "toast"

HighSchool Fan
12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
As long as Jerry is GM Dallas will continue to be CRAP!

they were crap in the early 90's with jerry wasn't they?

STANG RED
12-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

Jerry might have been the GM, but that was Jimmy's team!

Txbroadcaster
12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Jerry might have been the GM, but that was Jimmy's team!

It was BOTH that made the Cowboys the team of the 90's.

HighSchool Fan
12-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It was BOTH that made the Cowboys the team of the 90's.

exactly, both are just to stubborn to give the other credit.

if jimmy was so great, why didn't he win without jerry when he was in miami?

Adidas410s
12-27-2005, 03:01 PM
I also have to add I think Roy Williams is worthless against the pass. Agaisnt the run he is fine but couldnt cover my fat butt up the middle of the field. My knickname for him is "toast"

I think RW is more than capable in pass coverage or he wouldn't have been that high of a draft pick. Teams just take advantage of his run stopping ability and move him out of his position and use him more as an extra LB/rover type player instead of a true safety.

STANG RED
12-27-2005, 03:13 PM
exactly, both are just to stubborn to give the other credit.

if jimmy was so great, why didn't he win without jerry when he was in miami?

He never got the luxury of another entire team for Hershal Walker trade again, after he left Dallas.

Jerry was and is just the money man! He was just smart enough to let Jimmy put together the team he wanted. The key to the whole deal though, was the Hershal Walker trade. It made both of them look twice as smart as they really were. That still has to be the greatest trade of all time!

injuredinmelee
12-27-2005, 03:53 PM

That was before the salary cap and Jimmy Johnson was making personally decisions. Jerry as GM sucks.

HighSchool Fan
12-27-2005, 03:57 PM
That was before the salary cap and Jimmy Johnson was making personally decisions. Jerry as GM sucks.

jimmy personally made the decisions in miami and wasn't overly impressive. that goes to show that jerry's money did more for the cowboys than jimmy's coaching did. that doesn't take anything away from jimmy as a coach, he's just not as great as some people think he is.

Macarthur
12-27-2005, 04:27 PM
I believe it was a situation that the sum was greater than the individual parts. They caught lightning in a bottle and neither had the same success without the other.

injuredinmelee
12-28-2005, 10:13 AM
jimmy personally made the decisions in miami and wasn't overly impressive. that goes to show that jerry's money did more for the cowboys than jimmy's coaching did. that doesn't take anything away from jimmy as a coach, he's just not as great as some people think he is.

Was Jerry GM when Jimmy was there???? NOOOOOOOO Jerry Jones sucks! Homer. Jerry cannot properly evaluate football talent. Take alook at some of Jerrys picks... Quincy Carter (worthless) Kavika Pittman (yawn) I could go on and on all day long with Jerrys picks. Free agent signings thats a whole nother disaster.

donjuan
12-28-2005, 10:39 AM
draft the best quarterback you can get and build your team around him.

piratebg
12-28-2005, 01:56 PM
They need to draft some good OL with their first two picks and then start shopping for a quarterback.

HighSchool Fan
12-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Was Jerry GM when Jimmy was there???? NOOOOOOOO Jerry Jones sucks! Homer.

yes he was GM then. he has been GM since Tex Schramm retired. Jimmy was never GM. just remember this, jerry has 3 and jimmy only has 2.

GreenMonster
12-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Pick a future Pro Bowler