PDA

View Full Version : Are their any disadvantages to the new Field Turf???

kaorder1999
09-07-2003, 11:55 PM
just wondering what yall think?

sinton66
09-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Other than the original cash outlay, no. 600k is a lot of money! wink

Keith7
09-08-2003, 12:07 AM
i've been sayin this all year..
those freakin rubber pellets are annoying.. they always get in your cleats..

sinton66
09-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Is this just a factor when the rug is new? Does that stop after a while? Just wondering.

3afan2K3
09-08-2003, 07:37 AM
Keith7:
i've been sayin this all year..
those freakin rubber pellets are annoying.. they always get in your cleats..and they get in your socks and won't come out for awhile

Roll'em up
09-08-2003, 09:24 AM
The only drawback to is definately the rubber. It does fly up and get in your eyes. It is a nuisance getting in your socks. It tends to stay on the socks even after being washed. But with that it is the best surface to play on.
It is very expensive to put in, but how much money do districts pay to water, paint, mowe, and maintain the field over a period of 10 to 20 years. I bet the figure would be around the same if not cheaper to put in the turf. Plus, you would possibly draw playoff games adding some income.

crzyjournalist03
09-08-2003, 09:29 AM
sinton66:
Is this just a factor when the rug is new? Does that stop after a while? Just wondering.nope...they have to actually add more rubber all the time in order to make up for the stuff that ends up in people's shoes. Forney has a machine that looks a lot like a yard fertilizer, spraying the pellets across the field as they push the machine. The pellets have to be there though so that the "grass" doesn't get destroyed.

Chief Woodman
09-08-2003, 04:50 PM
So that field has to be "Watered" also. High initial cost, ongoing cost. As a taxpayer I would have a hard time justifying the expense.

Saw one this year that is just a couple of years old. Already starting to have worn down areas, and the logo is already fading in our nice summer sun.