PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck....

Gobbla2001
12-24-2005, 07:55 PM
I think tomorrow morning is the morning that I kill a big buck... cross them fangers...

football4life
12-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I think tomorrow morning is the morning that I kill a big buck... cross them fangers...

hold on....deer season is over, right??

Go Cuero
12-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Good luck!! I can shoot one this year because I took the extension last year for that stupid safety course that I have not taken and the extension is good for a year. I started taking the course online but then you STILL have to go in for a few hours. It sucks. I miss the cutoff by a year. Anyway, hope you get the big buck. My friend got one earlier in the month and it was right at 200 lbs. Her mom got one that was 220 lbs. We all hunt in Westhoff. They are out there...somewhere. I just don't ever see them in the part of Westhoff we hunt in but apparently they do. My husband went to Burnet w/our neighbor this week and you he got a doe but it was small. Post a picture of what you get.

44INAROW
12-25-2005, 01:36 AM
My husband hunts in Westhoff too..... off of FM 240 - between Westhoff and Bellvue Cemetary...... there is a big one I've 'heard" but haven't seen any horns yet lol..... He said the wild turkeys and hogs were running before daylight this morning

S-WtrMustangFan
12-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Good luck...Hope you get a freezer full of meat.

Gobbla2001
12-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Well, no pictures to show because I didn't shoot a deer... atleast it was fun...

I was hunting at my uncle's place about 4 miles outside of Cuero off of 236 (Guadalupe is on the back end of his property)...

I started at around 6:30 sitting in a blind looking down a 300+ yard scendero... Saw 4 doe behind me, but then one of their horses came infront of me so I figured I wasn't going to see anything... plus my uncle told me to give it a shot for an hour and then I could come get him and we'd go to the back 40 to see what was cracking back there...

So at around 8:00 I went back up to the ranch-house and met with my uncle and we took the polaris ranger back to the back-40... we rounded a turn about 200 yards from the gate leading into that field and saw 3 doe pass... parked the ranger there and went on foot... When we came in view of the pasture we saw a small buck heading away from the feeder and heading back into the brush leading down to the river... saw nothing else so we decided we'd try and walk around the pasture in the thick stuff to see if we could stur something up... On our way around I looked into the field and saw 9 doe... so we were gunna wrap around them to see if anything was on their tails...We were about 250 yards from 'em in the thick when I noticed them running off... it wasn't us, they couldn't see us, never paid any attention to us, they just ran off... we found out why later on as we were walking along-side a spring-fed creek in the thick surrounding the pasture, there were two coyotes that must have got those doe going... my uncle took one down... I set up at another spot on his land at around 10:00, saw nothing, he picked me up and we headed back...

Went out at around 4 this evening with the 4-wheeler and about 1/4 bag of corn and laid it out and climbed into a tripod stand that sits about 16 feet off the ground... At around 5:15 or so I saw 6 doe come out... not too long afterwards two spikes and a 4-pointer walked out behind them... I thought about shooting the big spike (spikes were about 9 inches each, pretty thick), but couldn't quite tell if he may have had two brow-tines (illegal if he doesn't have a 13-inch or greater spread there)... Soon to my right 9 more doe popped out... Then a couple of more popped out from where the first ones had then just before dark 3 more popped out to my left...

My uncle had come down later than I had and was against a tree about 300+ yards away from me near the entrance to the field (I was at the back of the field along the bank of the Guadalupe, luckily he told me he would be down there and where so I wouldn't shoot in that direction)...

The field for the most part is open, except for this one spot about 100 or so yards from the tripod I was in... Some quisatche bushes and other growth jolts out to a point... I never knew if anything was over there or not, which is another reason I didn't take that spike... there are some pretty nice deer on and around his property, I was waiting on one of them...

I noticed that the two spikes and the 4-pointer I was watching bolted off just before dark about 5 minutes before I left the tripod, didn't know why, but my uncle who was watching filled me in when I picked him up on the 4-wheeler... He said he had been watching 4 bucks on the other side of that brush that pops out... two 4-pointers and two 8-pointers were handing out together... one of the 8-pointers had a limp, but was young, he estimated its spread to be around 16 inches, the other 8-pointer he estimated to be around 17... he said that he thinks they stepped out into my range at around the time I hopped on the 4-wheeler and headed back up...

SOOOO, my patience ALMOST paid off...

It was a blast either way, I saw 39 deer today...

Go Cuero
12-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Well that sucks. I still can't believe you saw that many deer. That's great but I wish we could shoot doe still in Dewitt.

Where I live there is a lot of construction right now so you see a lot of deer on 183!! How crazy is that? They don't know where to go because they are getting run off.

On a side note about processing, the first year I lived up here we took the deer we shot to this place everyone raved about. It was horrible and we ended up throwing it out. Can you believe I have only found one place that knows what dried sausage it? And we didn't find it until this year in Burnet. Before we were cutting into quarters and taking it to Smoliks but we decided to try another place. Well I should say my husband decided so I hope and he'd better pray it tastes good!! Nothing like dried sausage from Smoliks!!

Gobbla2001
12-26-2005, 07:02 PM
We make our own sausage, really good... dry a little of it as well...