PDA

View Full Version : NFC Playoff Scenarios

Adidas410s
12-24-2005, 05:30 PM
So far the standings look like this

- Carolina 10-5 (holds tiebreaker over Minnesota)
- Washington 9-6 (holds tiebreaker over Dallas, DNP Carolina or Minnesota)
- Dallas 9-6 (holds tiebreaker over Carolina, DNP Minnesota)
- Minnesota 8-6 (still has to play Baltimore tmrw...then it will be clear if they are still in the running)

What must happen for each team to get in the playoffs:

Washington...in the playoffs with a win

Carolina...in the playoffs with a win, a loss to Atlanta combined with a Dallas win over STL and they are out

Dallas...in the playoffs with a win vs STL and either a Carolina loss to ATL or a Washington loss to Philidelphia

Minnesota...needs to win final two games and have both Dallas and Washington lose...I think. I may be wrong on this. Though Chicago is not marked as having clinched I believe they have because the 1st tiebreaker would be head-to-head and at worst they are 1 and 1 vs the Vikings. The 2nd tiebreaker is division record and they would be 9-3 with 2 straight losses where as the Vikings would be 8-4

Where things get "interesting" is if Washington and Dallas win and Carolina loses. For a 3 team tiebreaker the rules are as follows:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs). - Washington 2-0 Dallas 1-2 Carolina 0-1

Now I believe that it gets Dallas in regardless of what the tiebreakers are because they have the 2nd highest win% of the 3 teams as well as a head-to-head win over Carolina. Feel free to correct any scenarios that I have incorrect. If Minnesota wins it could twist things a little because they have only played Carolina (a loss) so let's hope Baltimore sticks to winning at home (5-2 this year) and then the Cowboys can win and get some help next week.

Hupernikomen
12-25-2005, 12:07 AM
The best I can make things out is that Washington controls their destiny. Win and they are in.

The best I can figure out is that if Dallas wins and either Carolina or Tampa Bay loses Dallas is in over both of these in tie-breaker scenarios. Dallas owns head-to-head against Carolina, and would have to go all the way to strength of victory to win tie-breaker versus Tampa Bay (which they hold the advantage).

So basically, it comes down to winning over the Rams and having either Atlanta beat Carolina (which technically could get Atlanta in the playoffs if Dallas and other lose next week) or have Tampa lose to New Orleans (was very close in N.O.)

football4life
12-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Well, we have a chance, and that's all we can ask for right now.:clap:

Adidas410s
12-25-2005, 10:41 AM
K here is the "official word" The Cowboys need 3 things to happen.

1) THEY MUST WIN VS ST LOUIS!!!

2) Minnesota must lose to either Green Bay this week or Chicago next week

3) Either Carolina or Washington must lose next week.

LewP
12-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
K here is the "official word" The Cowboys need 3 things to happen.

1) THEY MUST WIN VS ST LOUIS!!!

2) Minnesota must lose to either Green Bay this week or Chicago next week

3) Either Carolina or Washington must lose next week.

I think the first two might happen, don't know about the 3rd.

Washington plays the Beagles.