PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld fans- Happy Festivus!

BU97
12-23-2005, 09:25 AM
A festivus for the restofus!

vet93
12-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Now let's have the "Airing of the Grievances".....followed by "Feats of Strength"!!!:D

TheDOCTORdre
12-23-2005, 10:34 AM
man that made me chuckle

BU97
12-23-2005, 10:34 AM
"George, stop crying and fight your father!"

injuredinmelee
12-23-2005, 11:07 AM
The Festivus episode is one of my favorites.

Go Cuero
12-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Love that episode.

injuredinmelee
12-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Festivus is a nondenominational holiday featured in an episode of Seinfeld, a popular American television sitcom of the 1990s. The holiday was a plot device in episode number 166 of the show, entitled "The Strike", which first aired on December 18, 1997. Many people, influenced or inspired by Seinfeld, now celebrate the holiday, in varying degrees of seriousness. Some do it religously, others do it in good tidings in their respect to Seinfeld.

According to Seinfeld, Festivus is celebrated each year on December 23, but many people celebrate it other times, often in early December. Its slogan is "A Festivus for the rest of us!" An aluminum pole is generally used in lieu of a Christmas tree or other holiday decoration. Those attending participate in the "Airing of Grievances" which is an opportunity for all to vent their hostilities toward each other, and after a Festivus dinner, The Feats of Strength are performed. Traditionally, Festivus is not over until the head of the household is wrestled to the floor and "pinned." Originally a Scandinavian holiday celebrating the day before the "Present" and the "Future" filled with hope. A day to be honored much in the way "Fat Tuesday" is at the beginning of the Christian Lenten Season

injuredinmelee
12-23-2005, 12:47 PM
The character Frank Costanza (played by Jerry Stiller) created Festivus as an alternative holiday in response to the commercialization of Christmas. He explained its origins during the episode to the character Cosmo Kramer (played by Michael Richards), as related in the following dialogue:

Frank Costanza: Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
Cosmo Kramer: What happened to the doll?
Frank Costanza: It was destroyed. But out of that a new holiday was born . . . a Festivus for the rest of us!
Cosmo Kramer: That must've been some kind of doll.
Frank Costanza: She was.
In the episode, Kramer had become interested in resurrecting the holiday after hearing the plight of his friend—Frank Costanza's son—George (played by Jason Alexander), who used the holiday celebration he hated in his youth as a defensive excuse to his employer, Kruger (played by Daniel Von Bargen). George had been confronted by Kruger after handing out cards for Christmas to his fellow employees stating a donation had been made to a fake charity (invented by George) called The Human Fund (with the slogan "Money For People") in lieu of exchanging Christmas presents. George defended himself saying that he feared persecution for his beliefs, for not celebrating Christmas. Attempting to call his bluff, Kruger came home with George to see Festivus in action.

[edit]
Main elements of Festivus

The Airing of GrievancesThe Festivus celebration includes four major components:

The Festivus Pole: The Costanzas' tradition begins with a bare aluminum pole (originally a Scandinavian phallic symbol), which Frank praises for its "very high strength-to-weight ratio." During Festivus, an unadorned aluminum pole is displayed. The pole was chosen apparently in opposition to the commercialization of highly decorated Christmas trees, because it is "very low-maintenance," and also because the holiday's patron, Frank Costanza, "find[s] tinsel distracting."
Festivus Dinner: The Festivus dinner menu is flexible, but it should consist of filling, non-holiday comfort food (no turkey, duck, goose, or ham). The televised dinner featured what may have been meatloaf or spaghetti in a red sauce. (Presumably, an entree in a red sauce is more festive.) Kruger took a flask out from his jacket and took a swig; so one might interpret that drinking is optional.
The Airing of Grievances: At the Festivus dinner, each participant tells friends and family of all the instances where they disappointed him or her that year.
The Feats of Strength: The head of the family tests his or her strength against one participant of the head's choosing. Festivus is not considered over until the head of the family has been pinned to the ground. A participant is allowed to decline to attempt to pin the head of the family only if they have something better to do instead.
[edit]
The Festivus Miracle
While not an official element of the holiday or its celebration, the phenomenon of the Festivus Miracle should not be overlooked. When, at one point in the episode, two sleazy betting-window guys from the off track betting parlor call H&H Bagels (Elaine's fake phone number) for Elaine Benes, and Kramer (who was on strike against H&H, but went inside the store because he had to use the bathroom) answers the phone. Kramer explains that he is about to see Elaine and invites the bookies to join him for Festivus. Kramer enthusiastically declares "It's a Festivus miracle!"

Kramer reports another Festivus Miracle when Gwen finds Jerry at the Costanza home, despite Kramer's previous directions to Gwen. At best, a "Festivus miracle" is a coincidence rather than a genuine miracle.

injuredinmelee
12-23-2005, 12:49 PM
http://www.festivusbook.com/

AP Panther Fan
12-23-2005, 03:26 PM
My husband is a huge Seinfeld fan and has been dropping hints for weeks, sooooo....I did break down and buy him Seasons 1-3 on dvd for Christmas.

Not sure if this episode is in one of those seasons, but I will be sure to look for it!;)

Pmoney
12-23-2005, 06:41 PM
haha SEINFELD RULES!

injuredinmelee
12-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I made my employees say Happy Festivus all afternoon. They are all young uns though, so most of em dont know what I am talking about.

wildstangs
12-24-2005, 01:57 AM
A Festivus for the rest of us!