PDA

View Full Version : Haltom Principal suddenly resigns

LewP
12-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Haltom High School is about 20 minutes from me. It's a great school, and I'm sure there will be some aftershocks to this story:

TERRY WEBSTERSTAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITERHALTOM CITY --

Haltom High School Principal Allen Roberts resigned unexpectedly Wednesday afternoon, citing personal reasons, Birdville school district officials said.
District officials declined to say what prompted his actions.
"Mr. Roberts has done a lot of good things for Haltom High, but that's not the entire story," school board President Dolores Webb said Thursday.
Roberts, who became principal of the school in May 2000, could not be reached for comment.
His resignation "was very sudden and at the end of the semester," Webb said.
"In some ways, it's easier because there's that break," she said. "But in the middle of the year, it leaves us looking for a replacement, and you do not find principals on every corner."
Final exams ended Wednesday and the district is now on winter break.
District spokesman Mark Thomas said the district audits each school at the end of the school year.
District officials see no reason to conduct a midyear audit at Haltom High School, he said.
The district did not send out a written notification to parents that Roberts resigned, Thomas said.
Normally, the district does not send out letters about resignations, he added.
"I'm surprised," said parent Dan Lipsey of Watauga. "I'd like to hear a comment that he's bettering his career or he's found a different job. But to just leave makes you wonder what's underlying."
Superintendent Stephen Waddell announced Thursday in a statement that he has appointed Adele Kennedy as interim principal for the 2,600-student high school. Waddell could not be reached for comment.
Trustee Ralph Kunkel said Roberts was "well-liked by staff and students."
Before joining Haltom High School five years ago, Roberts had been a principal at Azle High School, an associate principal at Mansfield High School and an associate principal at Sam Houston High School in Arlington.
He also has eight years of coaching and teaching experience, according to Birdville records.
Kennedy has been an associate principal at Haltom High School for five years, and she was an assistant principal at the school for three years.
Previously, she was an art teacher and coach at Richland Middle School for 11 years, according to district documents.
Kennedy earned a bachelor's degree from Texas Christian University, and she holds a master's degree in administration from Texas Woman's University.
"Adele Kennedy is very capable and she should do very well," Webb said.

GreenMonster
12-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmmm."

Phantom Stang
12-23-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't think anyone saw this comming.

Phantom Stang
12-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I doubt anyone saw this comming.

eagles_victory
12-23-2005, 07:18 PM