PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy's Son found Dead

Rabbit'93
12-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Dungy's son, 18, found dead in Tampa suburb

James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead at 1:30 a.m. ET Thursday in his apartment in Lutz, Fla., a suburb of Tampa, Debbie Carter, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, confirmed Thursday.

In a news release on its Web site, the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office said it "responded to the Campus Lodge Apartments this morning at approximately 1:32 a.m. The girlfriend of James Dungy had returned to the apartment and discovered Dungy."

Police performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The cause of death is pending an autopsy by the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, ESPN has learned.

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan.

The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

CheerMom
12-22-2005, 10:52 AM
That is horrible news. My prayers are with the Dungy family.:(

pirate4state
12-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Just saw this on Yahoo. How sad. It is always heartbreaking when you lose someone, but for it to happen so close to Christmas has got to be the worst! :(

kaorder1999
12-22-2005, 12:24 PM
oh my god. this is horrible

Bullaholic
12-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Terrible, terrible thing to happen to any family, but Tony Dungy is truly one of the "good guys" in the NFL---a fine person and man.
May God Bless his whole family during this ordeal.

44INAROW
12-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Terrible, terrible thing to happen to any family, but Tony Dungy is truly one of the "good guys" in the NFL---a fine person and man.
May God Bless his whole family during this ordeal.

my middle son (the one who lives in Lakeland FL) has been on flights with Coach Dungy and he said Coach Dungy is a class act and was alway happy to sign autographs and visit with folks on the flights... such a horrible thing to happen.. :(

Da Wata Boy
12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
My prayers go out to his family, Its rough loosing someone but its bad enough that its near christmas :(

sicem74
12-22-2005, 01:30 PM
very sad

RdaleBoi08
12-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Prayers Go Out To The Dungy Family..Because he recruited my dad to play for Minnesota..

WestTXLonghorn
12-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Supposedly it's a suicide and the autopsy will verify it. . .

Phil C
12-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Supposedly it's a suicide and the autopsy will verify it. . .

That is hard to believe though West. With his father having the biggest season of his career and a chance to make the super bowl - I don't think any son would commit suicide and miss this.
A sad situation for all concerned.

Rabbit'93
12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
That is hard to believe though West. With his father having the biggest season of his career and a chance to make the super bowl - I don't think any son would commit suicide and miss this.
A sad situation for all concerned.
As a person who has dealt with suicides before. People who commit suicide aren't concerned with others. They are doing it only for selfish reasons. So I strongly disagree with you Phil on why it "COULD" not be a suicide. I hope for teh family's sake it is not the case however.

SnyTigBaseB07
12-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Well no matter what the cause of death, its still sad.

District303aPastPlayer
12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
Well no matter what the cause of death, its still sad.

true

Raider Nurse
12-22-2005, 06:15 PM
HOW SAD!!! I was just watching coach Dungy on a news conference Sunday and thinking what a nice guy he must be. I am truly sorry for him and his family.:(

injuredinmelee
12-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
As a person who has dealt with suicides before. People who commit suicide aren't concerned with others. They are doing it only for selfish reasons. So I strongly disagree with you Phil on why it "COULD" not be a suicide. I hope for teh family's sake it is not the case however.

I can tell you from experience that sometimes it is other peopel that are keeping you from doing something to yourself. It is when the pain or whatever you are dealing with is so bad that you cant bear it anymore and you forget about how everyone else is feeling that you decide to attempt to kill yourself.

LewP
12-22-2005, 06:35 PM
http://www.11alive.com/assetpool/images/051222114631_Untitled-1.jpg
Former President Bill Clinton and James Dungy, son of Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy

My prayers for the Dungy family.

football4life
12-22-2005, 11:59 PM
This couldnt have happened to a nicer guy and his family. Sad to see this happen to anyone, and they must all be thankful that they can cruise for a few weeks until playoffs to let things settle down.

District303aPastPlayer
12-23-2005, 04:22 AM
from what everyone on ESPN has said... there couldnt be a nicer guy in the NFL. he is said to be really close with his players, not an office coach, but an in the locker room guy. its that kind of dedication that you look at and just know he is a great guy. he has always been a league guy, to where he had little to nothing bad to say about his organization. a true class act. such a sad sad situation

3afan
12-23-2005, 08:31 AM
tragic story .........

Rabbit'93
12-23-2005, 10:22 AM
I held my boys a little longer and a little closer last night. Truly tragic loss.

football4life
12-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I heard on ESPN radio today from a writer who knows him well that he thinks Tony may hang em up after this season, because he has always been very dedicated to his family and has always said he isn't a lifer in the league, and wants to pursue other paths besides football.

kaorder1999
12-23-2005, 04:41 PM
wow. i still cant believe this. Totally horrible

TPlinebacker53
12-24-2005, 01:30 AM
thats crazy, he probably had just about everything he ever wanted and the just threw it all away

3afan
12-24-2005, 07:55 AM
heard one analyst say on the radio (forgot what show) that the Colts were done, no way would they make it thru the playoffs now. obviously thats not Dungy's primary focus now, but the NFL and the playoffs will go on. i seem to think that, while this is a huge distraction, it could pull the team closer and propel them to a super bowl title.

Rabbit'93
12-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
heard one analyst say on the radio (forgot what show) that the Colts were done, no way would they make it thru the playoffs now. obviously thats not Dungy's primary focus now, but the NFL and the playoffs will go on. i seem to think that, while this is a huge distraction, it could pull the team closer and propel them to a super bowl title.
I agree. What better reason to rally around your coach and do somthing great.