PDA

View Full Version : Dion Dowell to Transfer

eagles_victory
12-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Updated: Dec. 19, 2005, 7:34 PM ET
Texas sophomore forward Dowell will transferAssociated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas sophomore forward Dion Dowell, who has played in three games this season while nursing an ankle injury, will transfer, coach Rick Barnes said Monday.

"Dion voiced concerns about his playing time now and in the future within our program, and he feels he'll have a better opportunity to make that happen at another school," Barnes said.

"We wish Dion all the best in the future."

Dowell averaged 3.0 points and 2.3 rebounds in his three games this season. He missed seven games because of the injured right ankle but returned to play 14 minutes off the bench in No. 15 Texas' 95-78 loss to Tennessee on Saturday.

Dowell played in 19 games as a freshman and started seven.

Texas (8-2) plays Texas State (7-1) on Thursday night.

Pmoney
12-21-2005, 07:27 PM
CRAP! texas b-ball is turning into crap

KTJ
12-21-2005, 07:38 PM
This is actually a good thing

1.) Dion wasn't getting any PT because he was hurt then entire freakin' time. (he should have known that.)

2.) We have better recruits coming in next year and that would mean even less PT for Dion.

Best of luck to him.

AggieJohn
12-21-2005, 09:35 PM
i think that the stock in texas basketball is declining...however on a unrelated note, well somewhat related note, a&m hoops stock is definately rising, they finally have a couple of votes in the top 25.....good stuff for a team that once went 0-16 in the big 12....

3afan
12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
aTm's opoonent to date have a combined 14-40 record so I wouldn't get too excited! :p

injuredinmelee
12-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i think that the stock in texas basketball is declining...however on a unrelated note, well somewhat related note, a&m hoops stock is definately rising, they finally have a couple of votes in the top 25.....good stuff for a team that once went 0-16 in the big 12....

A&M hasnt even played a decent team yet. Texas' two losses are to Duke and undefeated Tennessee. Aggie hoops is a bigger joke than the football team

3afan
12-21-2005, 09:51 PM
IMO the aTm program is certainly on the rise, but they had so far to go ............. i would not call the program a joke, they are headed in the right direction.

KTJ
12-21-2005, 11:10 PM

It's not declining when you have the #2 recruit in the country coming into your program next year. Texas has had top 5 recruiting classes the past 3 years, so the stock ain't going nowhere. Now injuries....that's where we're in trouble. It's injuries...not the talent.

A&M is doing good. But for them to get any kind of recognition, they need to quit playing home games against Grambling, Prarie View, and A&M-Kingsville. Sure, those "wins" boost your teams morale, but it only does so much to the program.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-22-2005, 01:28 AM

While aTm is on a slow rise, assuming the fall of Texas basketball is ludicrous. This is a team that is bringing in top 5 recruiting classes year in/ year out. A team that went to the Sweet 16 two years ago with no discernible superstar. A team that was absolutely ravaged with injuries and ineligibility last year and still beat Oklahoma State on their own home court.

You could say UT bball has underachieved this year so far, but we did win a competitive (albeit small) tournament this year, and while the losses we've had were big, they came to legitimate opponents. Plus we're not playing anywhere near to our level that we can (I'm a UT student, I'm allowed to say we). And of course, its still pretty early in the year. It's not about how you start (weak early season schedules do little good in the long run, see TTU football and SHSU/Indiana State). It's about hitting the peak at the right time. All UT is doing is prepping for conference play and March Madness.

Johnny Utah
12-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Texas will be just fine. A&M does need to strengthen its schedule!!!

lostaussie
12-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
IMO the aTm program is certainly on the rise, but they had so far to go ............. i would not call the program a joke, they are headed in the right direction. Thank you for those kind words of encouragement. we still need all the help we can get!!!!!! texas on the other hand just needs to stay off national tv. do you reckon its the big stage thats contributed to the 2 losses?

injuredinmelee
12-22-2005, 01:36 PM
do you reckon its the big stage thats contributed to the 2 losses?

I reckon it is injuries against Tennesse. UT might not be as good as every one had thought they would be but the other loss came at the hands of one of the most prestigous basketball programs over the last 15 years.

KTJ
12-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Thank you for those kind words of encouragement. we still need all the help we can get!!!!!! texas on the other hand just needs to stay off national tv. do you reckon its the big stage thats contributed to the 2 losses?

No. When you have two starters out of the game for Tennessee, things get chaotic. People have to fill roles they've never done before. It's just the injury bug.

lostaussie
12-23-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
No. When you have two starters out of the game for Tennessee, things get chaotic. People have to fill roles they've never done before. It's just the injury bug. i'll give you the game against duke. but when youget get BLOWN OUT at home against unranked tennessee, i don't know.

District303aPastPlayer
12-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'll give you the game against duke. but when youget get BLOWN OUT at home against unranked tennessee, i don't know.

its the same as starting a football game against SLC and your starting MLB and QB are both out... your backups who havent played all year are starting...what do you think will happen