PDA

View Full Version : Leinart ineligibale

eagles_victory
12-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Updated: Dec. 21, 2005, 1:47 PM ET
NCAA reinstates Leinart after 'inadvertent' violationESPN.com news services

Matt Leinart's appearance in a promotional spot for ESPN violated an NCAA rule, but the USC quarterback had his eligibility restored Tuesday, an NCAA spokesman told the Los Angeles Times.

USC declared Leinart ineligible this month after the spot -- a "SportsCenter is next" promo that was taped after the Trojans' Dec. 3 victory over UCLA -- aired on ESPN. The Trojans reported the violation to the NCAA and petitioned for Leinart's reinstatement.

"Whenever we are aware that media outlets ask student-athletes to do these kinds of tags, we immediately cut them off," Tim Tessalone, USC's sports information director, told the Times. "Unfortunately, this one slipped by."

According to the NCAA's Kent Barrett, Leinart's actions were "unintentional and inadvertent. This was the type of thing where it was obvious the student-athlete was not attempting to become an endorser of a network."

Leinart, who finished third in this year's Heisman Trophy balloting and won the award last year, has practiced three times in preparation for the Jan. 4 Rose Bowl against Texas.

Barrett told the Times athletes may take part in practice and team and school activities while reinstatement petitions are considered by the NCAA. Leinart's situation came to light when USC's sports information staff turned down post-practice interview requests for the senior, who is made available to the media only on Tuesdays.

Tessalone said Leinart had been barred by USC from participating in media activities until after Christmas.

Adidas410s
12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
yeah...they just did that to get everybody's hopes up!

Phil C
12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I bet it would have been reported different if it had been VY.

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I bet it would have been reported different if it had been VY.

truer words have never been spoken

Phil C
12-21-2005, 04:29 PM
And don't forget even RB's eligibility was questioned about premature talks with agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2267137

kaorder1999
12-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
yeah...they just did that to get everybody's hopes up!

amen

lostaussie
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
you know, i'm not a ut fan. but, if i was, i would not want to play them without their best. if your hoping leinart's not playing then you must be worried.

cheatchu
12-21-2005, 11:55 PM
And don't forget even RB's eligibility was questioned about premature talks with agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2267137

True but there is one major quote in that article.....

The interviews were conducted within NCAA guidelines and in a manner that permits Bush to retain his college eligibility.

eagles_victory
12-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
you know, i'm not a ut fan. but, if i was, i would not want to play them without their best. if your hoping leinart's not playing then you must be worried. You always want to beat them with their best to leave no question that you are the best.

Phil C
12-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by cheatchu
True but there is one major quote in that article.....

The interviews were conducted within NCAA guidelines and in a manner that permits Bush to retain his college eligibility.

True but there does seem to be some question though. Overall where there is smoke there is fire. You can bet in both cases if Vince Young or a UT player were involved it would really have been blown up with strong intensity.

But still I would rather have them play at full strenth so there will not be any excuses. I admit these are minor things and the rules are unreasonable but rules are rules.

Phil C
12-22-2005, 11:07 AM
There will be pleanty of time to promote other things and get an agent for the pros after the game on Jan. 4. Why take foolish chances?

Bullaholic
12-22-2005, 11:18 AM
There will be pleanty of time to promote other things and get an agent for the pros after the game on Jan. 4. Why take foolish chances?

The allure of "filthy lucre" has always had a hypnotic effect on prospective pro sports "stars" , Phil. The numbers are so large and many of these kids have come from near poverty environments and the can't wait to assume the "large" lifestyle that goes with sports stardom. LeBron James got into a lot of trouble with accepting pre-contractual "perks" before his official signing. IMO, these individuals should be guided by reputable and moral counselors, possibly provided by the leagues themselves to prevent these types of incidents involving future "stars" from occuring. This would provide mutual protection for pro sports and future players alike.

KTJ
12-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
you know, i'm not a ut fan. but, if i was, i would not want to play them without their best. if your hoping leinart's not playing then you must be worried.

Don't worry. We want everyone at USC to be eligible when we play them. Trust me.

Bullaholic
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Don't worry. We want everyone at USC to be eligible when we play them. Trust me.

Yessir, and I think a lot of fans in the country are going to find that the 'Horns will bring a lot better game--and then some--- to USC this year than OU did last year. Many folks felt that Auburn should have played USC for the title last year, and that they might have won it.

LewP
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Maybe it's just me....
But with all the talk about the Heisman winner at USC....I think a lot of folks are missing something in the media.

The Texas DEFENSE is a pretty stout bunch themselves. Now I'm not certain, but i believe the Texas defense is what, #3 in the country?

I believe in my heart and mind that USC's defense is not nearly as good as Texas'.

Long story short.

Texas Longhorns 28
USC 17