PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 for next year?

big daddy russ
12-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Anyone have any early top ten lists for the 2006 season? I'll give a couple that I think should be ranked up there, but in no specific order.

Cuero (they have my first-place vote)
Bellville (return the house... my tentative #2)
Canton (the best QB in the state is back for one more year)
Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (saw that Middlebrooks is only a junior)
Giddings (Fitzhenry's only a soph)
Jasper (just because they're Jasper)

Don't know much about deep northeast Texas teams (Tatum, Gilmer, Gladewater, Daingerfield, Atlanta, down to Palestine, etc.) so if anyone from that area wants to enlighten us we'll take it.

Not top ten teams, but Ingleside and Port Isabel each lost only five seniors or so. Rio Hondo wasn't far behind. Those three teams are probably top-25 material.

eagles_victory
12-21-2005, 01:42 PM
What about Hutto they have Kerley and Whampus sp? back

big daddy russ
12-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Oh, and I remember hearing on this board that Sweeny should have a pretty good team next year... may have been from the Cuero posters. From that same district, I'd put Needville on about the same level as Ingleside. They have a stud LB coming back. Wharton always has the talent. The Tigers may have more talent in their little school than any other school in Texas, they just never make those deep runs.

Gobbla2001
12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes, Sweeny will be pretty tough next year, you never know with Wharton though...

LewP
12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Anyone have any early top ten lists for the 2006 season? I'll give a couple that I think should be ranked up there, but in no specific order.

Cuero (they have my first-place vote)
Bellville (return the house... my tentative #2)
Canton (the best QB in the state is back for one more year)
Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (saw that Middlebrooks is only a junior)
Giddings (Fitzhenry's only a soph)
Jasper (just because they're Jasper)

Don't know much about deep northeast Texas teams (Tatum, Gilmer, Gladewater, Daingerfield, Atlanta, etc.) so if anyone from that area wants to enlighten us we'll take it.

Not top ten teams, but Ingleside and Port Isabel each lost only five seniors or so. Rio Hondo wasn't far behind. Those three teams are probably top-25 material.

For what it's worth:

1) Tatum ...don't know if they will be 3A or 2A but either class, they should begin at #1
2) Sweetwater (Homer Pick)
3) Cuero (Who knows if they will be Div 1 or 2)
4) Canton
5) Bellville
6) Jasper (The only team that can lose 3 games and still be ion the Top 10 AP Poll no disrespect, just don't understand why)
7) Snyder (Never underestimate your enemy, Old Army Saying)
8) Monahans (That coach has a good program going)
9) Texarkana Liberty-Eylau
10) Gilmer

raider4life
12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Hutto is going to be next years state champion. Sorry to say.:D

Phil C
12-21-2005, 01:52 PM
BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!

theyoefnshow
12-21-2005, 01:56 PM
I'll be very suprised if Cameron, Giddings and Hutto are not in the top 10. Giddings brings back Brock, Hutto brings back Kerley & Cameron brings back Brian Scott. All 3 were big time playmakers.

football4life
12-21-2005, 02:01 PM
The canyon eagles will return 10 starters next year, including qb anthony ramos, who is one of the elite qb's in the state statistically and athletically.

its_n_ D_water
12-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Rockdale #1

theyoefnshow
12-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by its_n_ D_water
Rockdale #1

Yes followed by Buckholts at #2, Granger @ #3 and Belton @ #4.

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by LewP
For what it's worth:

1) Tatum ...don't know if they will be 3A or 2A but either class, they should begin at #1
4) Canton
5) Bellville
6) Jasper (The only team that can lose 3 games and still be ion the Top 10 AP Poll no disrespect, just don't understand why)
10) Gilmer

Why should they begin at #1. State Title or not. Atlanta won a title a year or two back, and fell off the top 25 radar the following year.

injuredinmelee
12-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I wonder if Wylie will even be in the top 20?

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2005, 02:52 PM
and if they are indeed dropping to 2A, would you place them above newton?

GreenGobbla
12-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Cuero will be number 1. Not saying that they are going to be the best team in the state next year but they will be ranked number one. They were number one with 1 returning starter on offense.

Haunta Yo
12-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Atlanta won a title a year or two back, and fell off the top 25 radar the following year.

Atlanta has only won 6 or 7 GAMES since winning it all 2 years ago.

wos fan1
12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
We have to many players back, we'll be in the 7 or 8 range.

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2005, 03:01 PM
i dont see us in the top 10 to start... but we love it that way :)

big daddy russ
12-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I actually think you guys take the district title next year. From what I heard, you guys had more talent in your RB's than at QB. If that talent gets used properly, it'll be hell on the rest of the district.

Pmoney
12-21-2005, 03:10 PM
i dont see snyder being in it either...but we will prove everyone wrong;)

Hupernikomen
12-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by LewP
For what it's worth:

4) Canton
5) Bellville
10) Gilmer

A couple have mentioned Jasper in the discussion. Jasper always gets some respect when the polls come out based on history, but this next year they shouldn't be ranked preseason.

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I actually think you guys take the district title next year. From what I heard, you guys had more talent in your RB's than at QB. If that talent gets used properly, it'll be hell on the rest of the district.

we had like 5-6 RBs sitting on the defensive side of the ball... figure that one out

RBARKER
12-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
We have to many players back, we'll be in the 7 or 8 range.

Beasley being gone is going to hurt, try 17 or 18 :D

Adidas410s
12-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I wonder if Wylie will even be in the top 20?

heck if they can't be a top 10 after winning state and having a 3rd year QB and returning other key players...they probably don't get any votes next year.

In some order...mine would include these teams

Top 3
Cuero
Sweetwater
Canton

Next Group

Bellville
Wimberly (because every returning state champ except Wylie gets love in the polls)
Gainesville...assuming that Coach West (amongst others) doesn't leave town and take his son at QB with him.
Celina...say what you want...they just win regardless of which classification they are in
WOS...despite rather "dissapointing" results in 3A...they are the AP darlings...

Other possibilities

Jasper...who knows...maybe Moye is back in Jasper in the fall??? :eek:
Tatum if they stay 3A
Canyon...as stated...they return A LOT on offense including a great throwing QB. If they can improve on defense then they have a chance to go very deep
Gilmer...has the athletes to compete in a (and I know I will get ripped for this) relatively weak Region 2 that is filled with great athletes but not a lot of great "teams."

K that list works for me...fire away! :thumbsup:

wos fan1
12-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Beasley being gone is going to hurt, try 17 or 18 :D To many good ones coming back. Wait until you see Thomas and Franks along with a better Defense. :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
To many good ones coming back. Wait until you see Thomas and Franks along with a better Defense. :thinking:

okay, they are good, but he was a great one. a bunch of goods can almost replace a great.. but it takes time

wos fan1
12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Time? We'll be fine...

HighSchool Fan
12-21-2005, 03:58 PM

is that we as in Sinton or we as in Cuero?

Old Tiger
12-21-2005, 04:01 PM
How many seniors are the Hippos losing?

rockdale80
12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
Yes followed by Buckholts at #2, Granger @ #3 and Belton @ #4.

That was a good one. ;)
Now keep the list going!
Cameron @ 5
Sweetwater @6

S-WtrMustangFan
12-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
i dont see snyder being in it either...but we will prove everyone wrong;) Yea till you play Monahans or Sweetwater then thats all folks.Hopefully it isnt the first game of the playoffs lol.

texasjeremy
12-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Palestine will be back and much stronger. This past year they only returned 2 starters (1 off, 1 def) from the state semifinal team of 2004. This years team underachived, getting knocked out in the 2nd round of the playoffs and finishing the season 8-3 (their worst record since 2001). The 2006 squad will return 14 starters (5 off, 9 def). If they stay 3A, this will be a state title contender yet again.

rockdale80
12-21-2005, 05:26 PM
What about the Robinson Rockets? Randy Kitchens is coming back, and that kid is a stud. Should make for some good competition.

eagles_victory
12-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
What about the Robinson Rockets? Randy Kitchens is coming back, and that kid is a stud. Should make for some good competition. I have seen Robinson the last two years and haven't been that impressed with them. But Kitchens is a good quaterback they just have to quit killing themselves. Everytime I have seen them turnovers have been their downfall.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-21-2005, 06:26 PM
look for Sinton to regain its reputation as a top 10 team before district starts:)

ILS1
12-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
How many seniors are the Hippos losing?

I count 18 Seniors. I think only 10 of them started. The core of the offense and the core of the defense are returning.

:D

theyoefnshow
12-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Dylan & Kerley are both juniors aren't they?

football4life
12-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Canyon...as stated...they return A LOT on offense including a great throwing QB. If they can improve on defense then they have a chance to go very deep

K that list works for me...fire away! :thumbsup:

Well actually the offense only returns 4 starters, and defense returns six, including all 3 linebackers. The 4 wide recievers were all seniors, so that will be the biggest deal.

ILS1
12-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
Dylan & Kerley are both juniors aren't they?

Yeah,so is Shiloh Wampler,starting FB.

:D

JasperDog94
12-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
A couple have mentioned Jasper in the discussion. Jasper always gets some respect when the polls come out based on history, but this next year they shouldn't be ranked preseason. As much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right. I don't know much about what we have coming back. We'll still be good, but we'll have to see if we're top 25 good.

Hupernikomen
12-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
As much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right. I don't know much about what we have coming back. We'll still be good, but we'll have to see if we're top 25 good.

I am sure we would be in the top 25, but not top 15.

Kt0r
12-21-2005, 07:29 PM
From everything I have heard and read Tatum will almost certainly be 2A next year. They have lots of talent returning, they should be top 5 in 2A.

Canyon did have one hell of an offense last year, if they are returning the core (other than QB) than they should up there in rankings.

Gilmer will be the East Texas representative for 3A next year and based on the past few years that should make them at least top 10.

Cuero and Sweetwater are always top 10.

lostaussie
12-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Gilmer...has the athletes to compete in a (and I know I will get ripped for this) relatively weak Region 2 that is filled with great athletes but not a lot of great "teams."

K that list works for me...fire away! :thumbsup: ok i'm firing. this is the same region II that has won the last 3 division II titles. ie: see atlanta, gilmer, and tatum. you just keep thinking that way and we'll just keep sending you home in the semi's. :D

District303aPastPlayer
12-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
ok i'm firing. this is the same region II that has won the last 3 division II titles. ie: see atlanta, gilmer, and tatum. you just keep thinking that way and we'll just keep sending you home in the semi's. :D

as said in previous posts... how many games has atlanta won over the past 2 years, since winning said DII title.

Sinton should be rebuilding some of its line, but look for the QB to step in and make great strides as compared to this years. also, returning a great bundle of speed and some key D players will make for a great year.

lostaussie
12-22-2005, 09:33 AM
as said in previous posts... how many games has atlanta won over the past 2 years, since winning said DII title.

Sinton should be rebuilding some of its line, but look for the QB to step in and make great strides as compared to this years. also, returning a great bundle of speed and some key D players will make for a great year. i'm not saying atlanta will be good. my point is that for some reason in division 2 that reg II continuously dominates reg I. that would be the same region II that adidas described as weak.

griff
12-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Beasley being gone is going to hurt, try 17 or 18 :D

Amazing...here was a perfect opportunity to muster a nice gesture about your own team's chances (even if they will be in 4A) or comment on ANY other team, but instead you're obsessed with commenting on a team (WO-S) you know so little about. Darrell, you and your other brother Darrell need to get a life.

wos fan1
12-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Amazing isn't it? Tell the duo to look at Coach Hook's record!!

Black_Magic
12-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by S-WtrMustangFan
Yea till you play Monahans or Sweetwater then thats all folks.Hopefully it isnt the first game of the playoffs lol. LOL .. you sweetwater folks crack me up!:clap: Oh how Amnesia sure must be pervasive in the town of Sweetwater..LOL Cant remember past the last game unless you lost the last game . Then it becomes a fluke... well I believe out of the last 6 meetings between Snyder and Sweetwater its been 3 and 3.... in the last two times Snyder and sweetwater has met in the playoffs its been 2-0 Snyder....:p you guys crack me up!.. Sweetwaters downhill slide starts in 06... well is dry!!

Adidas410s
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
ok i'm firing. this is the same region II that has won the last 3 division II titles. ie: see atlanta, gilmer, and tatum. you just keep thinking that way and we'll just keep sending you home in the semi's. :D

I am saying weak in terms to the DEPTH of the Region. 5-10 years ago, you had Commerce, Forney, Everman (1st 2 years in 3A), Daingerfield, Atlanta, T-LE, and I could keep going that were all VERY good teams.

Now you have 1 or 2 great teams but that is about it. They blow through everybody else in what is now a weak region when compared against the others. And for the record...since I moved to Wylie in '96...we have never lost to the great Region 2 in the semis! :p

Adidas410s
12-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by football4life
Well actually the offense only returns 4 starters, and defense returns six, including all 3 linebackers. The 4 wide recievers were all seniors, so that will be the biggest deal.

my bad...I thought I read somewhere that you said you were returning 10 on offense...not overall! My bad! :thumbsup:

lostaussie
12-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I am saying weak in terms to the DEPTH of the Region. 5-10 years ago, you had Commerce, Forney, Everman (1st 2 years in 3A), Daingerfield, Atlanta, T-LE, and I could keep going that were all VERY good teams.

Now you have 1 or 2 great teams but that is about it. They blow through everybody else in what is now a weak region when compared against the others. And for the record...since I moved to Wylie in '96...we have never lost to the great Region 2 in the semis! :p in terms of overall depth i agree. it is my personal opinion that regions 1 and 2 are the weaker of the 4. and i never said region II was great. i was just sticking up for my team and my region:D

RBARKER
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by griff
Amazing...here was a perfect opportunity to muster a nice gesture about your own team's chances (even if they will be in 4A) or comment on ANY other team, but instead you're obsessed with commenting on a team (WO-S) you know so little about. Darrell, you and your other brother Darrell need to get a life.

I was Commenting on the 7th or 8th ranking for WOS next year. WOS was around that ranking this year. With Beasley the guy that probally was responsible for 80% of your Offense and a great Defensive player as well gone, it will be hard for WOS to be a top ten team. I'm sure you have some good players returning, but so do a lot of other teams. As far as BH If we stay 3A we will proabally break the top 20. If we go 4A then we should make the playoffs with the kids we have returning (Depending on what district the UIL puts us in) or we may not. The only thing that I'm obsessed with is WOS fans inability to understand that history is history and WOS is not going to be the best team every year because they are WOS.

Tatum_Fan
12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Why should they begin at #1. State Title or not. Atlanta won a title a year or two back, and fell off the top 25 radar the following year.

To be honest, we have some great leaders in this years Senior class, but the bulk of Tatum's athletism belong to the Juniors and Sophomores. Of course, we will lose McCoy and 4 other DI recuits - but we should be able to get close to that same number next year.

Lennon Creer, Darnius Moore, C. Blackmon (the younger brother - I keep forgetting which is what class), Cashas Pollard, Bryce Beall are just of the few starters returning for the Eagles next year.

On a side note, this years sophomore class is 40-1 since 7th grade.

wos fan1
12-22-2005, 01:54 PM
I was Commenting on the 7th or 8th ranking for WOS next year. WOS was around that ranking this year. With Beasley the guy that probally was responsible for 80% of your Offense and a great Defensive player as well gone, it will be hard for WOS to be a top ten team. I'm sure you have some good players returning, but so do a lot of other teams. As far as BH If we stay 3A we will proabally break the top 20. If we go 4A then we should make the playoffs with the kids we have returning (Depending on what district the UIL puts us in) or we may not. The only thing that I'm obsessed with is WOS fans inability to understand that history is history and WOS is not going to be the best team every year because they are WOS. We understand that. All we're trying to say is making it to the Semi Finals is not bad. Our Defense will be even better this year, our entire OL returns along with Thomas, Franks and a few others that are already getting D1 offers. :)

griff
12-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Which WO-S fans are you referring to? I can see wosfan1 falling into that category, and maybe supertilley (who are really good guys in person, just like your friend Jody), but you're making a blanket statement about "all"...or maybe "many" (?) WO-S fans just assuming we're going to be the best team just because of our history. We DON'T believe that. You continue to miss the mark on this.

Here's the mindset MOST of our fans have about WO-S:

1) We will make the playoffs.

2) We will have at least some success in the playoffs.

3) Our history is something to be proud of (you would be, too, if you were part of the Orange community). Being proud of our history is not being arrogant - neither is having fun with poster signatures.

4) The reason our PRESENT teams will be successfull, just like teams in our HISTORY, is because we have established a strong PROGRAM (not an occasionally good "team") with excellent coaches, good athletes, and a supportive community - year after year. That is reason to believe we will be successful next year after Deon Beasley graduates. You see, we never had a player come through our school as highly recruited as Beasley, and we've done quite well. Our coaches have never been in a position to ride the coattails of one amazingly talented guy like Beasley until this year. You think it's all about Beasley, and again I say that you know so little about the WO-S program and why expectations are high every year.

For someone to say we may be ranked #7 or #8 is not a stretch. We have a good nucleus of guys returning, so a top 10 position is possible.

I've been reading the 3adownlow for a couple of years and I can remember the reaction from many on this board when WO-S joined 3A. It was many of the NON-West Orange Stark posters who made a big deal about the new kid on the block - moreso than what the majority of WO-S fans said about our own team. That seemed to have made an impression with you and some other people here that we're all just a bunch of arrogant blowhards. Nothing is further from the truth. Again, many of the "big, bad WO-S" comments were made by posters NOT from WO-S. Nevertheless, that impression has stuck with you and others who think we're always boasting about ourselves like we can beat the world. Hey, we did not hesitate to congratulate Wimberley on kicking our butts this year. They were the better team, and you heard no excuses from us on the loss.

When you've won a state championship, your aspirations are aimed at doing it again. We've held the trophy before and we believe (we don't assume) we can do it again. Our enthusiasm and hopes are high every year - and the sports writers agree most of the time - but "hoping and believing" we'll get to the state title game and "expecting and assuming" to get there are two different things. Honestly, most WO-S posters on 3adownlow are in the "hoping and believing" category, but you continue to think we're in the "expecting and assuming". You're off the mark.

Don't take the comments from a small handful and believe they represent most of the people from WO-S. All I can do is hope this clarifies the misconception you have of most WO-S fans, but I have a feeling you'll need more reminders...unless you just don't want to believe it.

District303aPastPlayer
12-22-2005, 02:33 PM
no offense, but i dont know how else to put it... but you guys (wos) remind me so much of calallen. and reading this board, and some of the wos1 posts reminds me alot of why calallen and some of their over zealous citizens get on my nerves.

wos fan1
12-22-2005, 02:54 PM
There's nobody over Zealous.:thinking: Griff was just stating the truth.