PDA

View Full Version : Brad Davis new Frenship HC and AD

mrescape43
12-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Here is an article in todays LAJ.

Frenship tabs Brad Davis as new football coach, AD
BY JEFF WALKER
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Frenship did not have to look far - or take long - to find its next football coach and athletic director.

The Tigers are keeping it in the family.

Brad Davis will replace his father in both capacities.

"I'm really excited," said Davis, who is replacing his father, Bobby Davis, whose retirement after 25 years will go into effect in June. "This is a great opportunity for me to take over and continue to build on what's already been in place."

Bobby Davis spent 25 years at Frenship and he guided the Tigers to a berth this year in the Class 4A Division II state semifinals.

Don Black, who came to Frenship with Bobby Davis in 1981 and has been the defensive coordinator, was named the assistant athletic director. Both hires will be made official today at a press conference scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.

Brad Davis, who has been the offensive coordinator since 2000, will continue to call the plays and serve as the team's offensive coordinator. He said the coaching staff will remain intact.

"I hope this will be a smooth transition because the kids know what to expect," the younger Davis said. "They know what we expect on offense and on defense and we just hope to continue with what we've got going."

This will be the first time the younger Davis will be a head coach and athletic director. He said Frenship may have a few subtle changes, but "you don't need to fix it if it's not broken."

Bobby Davis announced his retirement two days after the Tigers lost to Lewisville Hebron in the state semifinals. He finished his tenure at Frenship with a record of 173-108-2. He led the Tigers to eight district titles and 14 playoff appearances. He became one of 18 high school coaches in Texas to reach 250 career wins.

When asked what he learned most from his father, the younger Davis had trouble narrowing it down to one thing.

"I could write a book," Brad Davis said. "Anything I've learned as a coach, I've learned from him. Being around him all this time and growing up watching him coach, I can't really be specific. I guess, though, how he treats people and coaches, how he gets along with the administration; he's done a great job with the community and how he treats people and I hope I can take that with me and apply it to this job."

Buccaneer
12-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Brad is Brent Davis' brother. Brent is former head coach at Banquete, Sinton, The Colony and current Alice head coach.