PDA

View Full Version : Another Trade for the Rangers!!

football4life
12-20-2005, 11:56 PM
The Texas Rangers have helped address their pitching woes by reaching agreement to acquire San Diego Padres right-handed pitchers Adam Eaton and Akinori Otsuka and minor league prospect Billy Killian in exchange for right-handed pitcher Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and outfielder Terrmel Sledge, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick has confirmed.

Hmmm.....thoughts??

Cameron Crazy
12-21-2005, 12:11 AM
They need a great pitching staff

TexasHSFootball
12-21-2005, 01:01 AM
The Rangers can rot in last place after that trade! :mad:

htowntransplant
12-21-2005, 01:03 AM
well i dont see the other team from texas doing anything. nothing but sweet butt-kissing talk from tim purpura. :(

StangDog03
12-21-2005, 01:18 AM
difference being.........the other Texas team won a pennant with the team they have. Sometimes the best move a GM can make is no move at all. I still think the Astros will make some adjustments to their roster.

LewP
12-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Posted on Tue, Dec. 20, 2005

Rangers get Padres starter in six-player deal
By KATHLEEN O’BRIENStar-Telegram Staff Writer

The Rangers traded starting pitchers with the Padres on Tuesday, acquiring right-hander Adam Eaton in a six-player trade that sent right-hander Chris Young to San Diego.
The Rangers sent Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and outfielder Terrmel Sledge to the Padres for Eaton, right-handed reliever Akinori Otsuka and 19-year-old catcher Brian Killian. The deal will not be finalized until all six complete physicals.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels declined to make a statement on the pending trade. However, a Rangers official said, “We really feel that [Eaton] is just coming into his own, and that he’s got a chance to be an upper-rotation power starter.”
Eaton, 28, was 11-5 with a 4.27 ERA in 2005. Before injuring his right middle finger in June, he was 9-2 with a 3.42 ERA. He struggled to regain his grip after the injury, but the Rangers are confident he is healthy. Eaton earned $3.375 million in 2005 and is eligible for salary arbitration this winter before he becomes a free agent a year from now.
Otsuka, 33, has a 2.57 ERA in two major league seasons and previously had success in Japan. With Otsuka on the way, the Rangers withdrew their offer to reliever Octavio Dotel, who agreed to a one-year deal with the Yankees on Tuesday. Otsuka is due $1.75 million in 2006.
And there could be more pitching help on the way. Free agent right-hander Kevin Millwood, who led the American League with a 2.86 ERA in 2005, met with Rangers officials Tuesday.
The Rangers had not made an official offer as of early Tuesday evening, but team owner Tom Hicks was hosting a dinner at his home that was scheduled to include Millwood, agent Scott Boras and Daniels, among others.
“We want to see him, talk to him, see how he views his career path, get to know him and then make a decision after that,” Hicks said.
There are reports that Millwood has received four-year offers in the $45-48 million range, but, as no team has confirmed such an offer. Millwood, who turns 31 Saturday, is 107-75 with a 3.76 career ERA. Boras did not return a phone message.
Aside from Millwood, Eaton gives the Rangers a more proven starter than Young. Their numbers were similar in 2005 — Young was 12-7 with a 4.26 ERA — given that Young was pitching in a hitter’s park in the American League and Eaton in a pitcher’s park in the National League. Still, Eaton has a lengthier track record.
“I loved my time here, and I love the guys here,” said Young, who is from Highland Park, “but I’m really excited. First and foremost, I’m going to a winning team and a winning organization. That’s the most important thing to any player. Secondly, it’s a great pitcher’s park from what I’ve heard. And to be honest, I don’t know how realistic it would be to think I would spend my whole career here.”
Factoring into the Rangers’ decision was a sense that their offense is ready to contend now, and Eaton and Otsuka together provide an upgrade over Young. There were also concerns about Young’s durability, as he tired late in the year.
A Rangers official said: “It’s bittersweet to trade [Chris]. We just felt like Eaton was a little bit more of a top of the rotation guy. It’s a risk-reward. We like Adam’s upside and his ability in 2006 better.”
Gonzalez, a San Diego native, would be blocked at first base in Texas for at least three years by All-Star Mark Teixeira. Sledge, acquired in the Alfonso Soriano trade, gave the Rangers an excess of outfielders.
If the trade goes through, the Rangers would begin 2006 with a completely different starting rotation from Opening Day 2005. The projected rotation today would be Eaton, Vicente Padilla, Kameron Loe, Juan Dominguez and one spot that is up for grabs.
The Rangers also tendered contracts to all their arbitration-eligible players — Teixeira, Padilla, Gary Matthews Jr., Brad Wilkerson, Rod Barajas, Kevin Mench and Joaquin Benoit.

htowntransplant
12-21-2005, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by StangDog03
difference being.........the other Texas team won a pennant with the team they have. Sometimes the best move a GM can make is no move at all. I still think the Astros will make some adjustments to their roster.

true, but the rest of the national league is improving, especially teams within our division like stl, pitt, cubs, and then the other NL teams like LA, SD, NYM, ATL, and maybe washington. the astros need offense desperately, and the fans in htown are not willing to wait 2-3 yrs for the young guys to develop. the fans want to get back to the WS, and they want it ASAP aka next season, bc we came so close to something unimaginable, and the fans want more. a quiet offseason really sucks alot of good feelings out of the fans.

3afan
12-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
The Rangers can rot in last place after that trade! :mad:

why? it seems a reasonable attempt to get better...