PDA

View Full Version : AP respone to Selection last week!!!

wos fan1
12-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:38 pm Post subject: Writer's Response to AP All State Teams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got this from another website

AP's Response to Last Week's All-State Teams

I spoke at length with Paul Webber, the sports editor for the Associated Press in Texas.

I asked him about their process of selecting the all-state teams released a week ago.

He told me he's committed to correcting some of the problems with the nomination process.

There were eight sports editors involved in compiling lists from "all" the Texas AP sports editors throughout Texas.

I know Lubbock, El Paso, Dallas, Sherman, Houston, Corpus Christi, and San Antonio were seven of the eight regions represented.

The eighth was somewhere in central Texas, perhaps Waco or Austin.

No newspaper sports editor from East Texas was involved in the "regional" process, but Mr. Webber told me EVERY ASSOCIATED PRESS MEMBER NEWSPAPER SPORTS EDITOR should know about the nomination process, and it's up to each specific sports editor from all the newspapers involved to insure the process is completed in their area.

Mr. Webber told me the subject of all-state team selections was also discussed back during an AP convention in March.

Mr. Webber also said he'd make sure there was an East Texas representative starting next year.

The Texas AP is also going to change the process up to make it easier for those who are eligible to nominate players...

They plan on going on-line next year, and perhaps moving the deadline back another week or two...and this could help make the nomination process a little easier and more concise.

I was also told if a player is nominated to the all-state team by any of the regional directors, he's automatically on the honorable-mention list.

He was disappointed some of the better players from the best teams in East Texas didn't make any teams.

He also mention how Deon Beasley from West Orange-Stark was left out of the nomination process, but somehow, someone caught that mistake before it was too late.

I offered to help in anyway possible since our radio stations are members of the Asssociated Press.

None of this helps for what was released last week, but it might clarify how each team is selected.

wos fan1
12-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Didn't see the mistake until it was to late, give me a frickin break!! :mad:

3afan
12-20-2005, 02:57 PM
well at least they are trying to improve the process ....

wos fan1
12-20-2005, 03:19 PM
True!

wos fan1
12-20-2005, 07:30 PM

injuredinmelee
12-20-2005, 07:45 PM
It is almost as bad as these coaches that fudge stats.

wos fan1
12-20-2005, 07:47 PM
You got that right! :thinking:

3afan
12-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
It is almost as bad as these coaches that fudge stats.

have to disagree ..... the AP process is just broken, or inefficient, obviously flawed - not due to anyone's intent, it just doesnt work ..... a coach fudging stats is flat out lying to all involved, in effect cheating ..... big diference IMO

Cameron Crazy
12-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Como estas usted?

wostexan
12-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:38 pm Post subject: Writer's Response to AP All State Teams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got this from another website .

What website did you get this from?

wos fan1
12-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Trying to remember..:thinking: