PDA

View Full Version : Rangers add another Pitcher

HighSchool Fan
12-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Rangers agree to deal C. Young to Padres

01:30 PM CST on Tuesday, December 20, 2005
By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

The overhauling of the Rangers’ pitching staff moves into overdrive.

While club officials met with free-agent ace Kevin Millwood on Tuesday, the team agreed in principle to a deal with San Diego that will bring them right-handed starter Adam Eaton and hard-throwing setup man Akinori Otsuka and a minor league prospect in exchange for Highland Park’s Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and outfielder Terrmel Sledge, major league officials confirmed. The trade is also contingent on the players passing physicals.

Rangers GM Jon Daniels, who was scheduled to meet with Millwood and agent Scott Boras on Tuesday afternoon, declined to comment.

To Rangers?
P Adam Eaton
P Akinori Otsuka (from Padres' site)
To San Diego?
P Chris Young
1B Adrian Gonzalez
OF Terrmel Sledge

The Rangers had been working on a deal to land Eaton for nearly six weeks, but had been reluctant to give up catcher Gerald Laird. To add depth to the bullpen, the Rangers agreed to include Young, who tied the club record for victories by a rookie starter last year. Young went 12-7, but struggled with fatigue later in the season.

He was only 6-4 with a 5.58 ERA over his final 18 starts of the season beginning on June 20. The Rangers actually shut Young down for three weeks in September due to arm fatigue. He pitched only 11 innings in the final 30 days of the season.

In Eaton, the Rangers acquire a more accomplished starter. Though Eaton, 28, is only 18 months older than Young, he has made 131 career starts to Young’s 38. Eaton was 11-5 with San Diego last year, but pitched only 128 2/3 innings due to a middle finger strain. He can become a free agent after the 2006 season.

Otsuka, who turns 34 in January, has pitched 140 innings in 139 games for the Padres over the last two years. He has compiled a 2.57 ERA and limited hitters to a .215 average. He will likely slide into the setup spot in the bullpen, though the Rangers would still like to get another arm.

Gonzalez and Sledge, who was acquired from Washington earlier in the month, were likely odd men out in the Rangers’ plans. Playing behind Mark Teixeira, Gonzalez, a San Diego native, did not have much opportunity in Texas. Sledge gave the Rangers an abundance of outfielders.

3afan
12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
To San Diego?
1B Adrian Gonzalez

if Gonzalez goes then that should put to bed the rumors about Texiera getting traded

Adidas410s
12-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
if Gonzalez goes then that should put to bed the rumors about Texiera getting traded

hopefully...

I REALLY liked Chris Young and thought he had a lot of potential.

HighSchool Fan
12-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

true, but hicks better get ready to open the check book

big daddy russ
12-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
hopefully...

I REALLY liked Chris Young and thought he had a lot of potential.
I thought he'd turn out to be a good pitcher, but you can't argue with who they got in return.

Young will wind up being a good SP once he gets into baseball shape. Remember, he's only a couple of years removed from the NBA. With that build and that long, live arm he should wind up being a solid #2 or #3 starter.

Macarthur
12-20-2005, 04:32 PM
I love this deal. Very impressive.

If they could add Millwood, I think that might be enough to entice Clemens to sign with Texas.

Adidas410s
12-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I love this deal. Very impressive.

If they could add Millwood, I think that might be enough to entice Clemens to sign with Texas.

One word...IF...this is the word that pops up in free agent/trade rumors with the Rangers EVERY year!

VWG
12-20-2005, 06:05 PM
On 1310 The Ticket today they interviewed a San Diego Padres beat writer. That guy said he thought the Padres were wanting to get Gerald Laird instead of Chris Young as they don't have a starting catcher... but the Padres also needed pitching too.
So... it would have been better to have sent Gonzalez, Laird, and Sledge to San Diego and kept Chris Young, but it didn't end up that way.
I like the trade, as Eaton from San Diego is a good pitcher and Young... who has potential and had a good rookie year last year, was expendable.
Millwood would make a nice addition, but I don't think the Rangers are gonna nab him as he already has offers for 48 to 50 million over 4 years from other teams. Plus, his agent is Boras.
I would rather see the Rangers focus on a two year deal for Clemens and throw about 15 to 16 million a year at him.

Adidas410s
12-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by VWG
On 1310 The Ticket today they interviewed a San Diego Padres beat writer. That guy said he thought the Padres were wanting to get Gerald Laird instead of Chris Young as they don't have a starting catcher... but the Padres also needed pitching too.
So... it would have been better to have sent Gonzalez, Laird, and Sledge to San Diego and kept Chris Young, but it didn't end up that way.
I like the trade, as Eaton from San Diego is a good pitcher and Young... who has potential and had a good rookie year last year, was expendable.
Millwood would make a nice addition, but I don't think the Rangers are gonna nab him as he already has offers for 48 to 50 million over 4 years from other teams. Plus, his agent is Boras.
I would rather see the Rangers focus on a two year deal for Clemens and throw about 15 to 16 million a year at him.

Dumping Laird is ok...but I still think the Rangers need an every-day catcher and he is probably the best option. Though he would definitely have been more expendable than Young...especially with having other serviceable catchers. Didn't the Rangers pick up Teagarten from Texas in the draft?

Old Tiger
12-20-2005, 06:51 PM
The Rangers should be good till the all-star break then things will go terribly down hill as usual

rockdale80
12-20-2005, 06:54 PM
GO ASTROS!!!!!!

Keith7
12-20-2005, 07:14 PM
looks like another Texas Championship for the rangers this year

VWG
12-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Dumping Laird is ok...but I still think the Rangers need an every-day catcher and he is probably the best option. Though he would definitely have been more expendable than Young...especially with having other serviceable catchers. Didn't the Rangers pick up Teagarten from Texas in the draft?

Yes, Taylor Teagarden is in the Rangers farm system. May start in AA this year, but more likely to start in A ball.
Very good defensive catcher, but most pro scouts think that his bat has got to come around before he makes the big jump to AAA or the majors.

Cameron Crazy
12-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Did the rangers ever get Barry Zito?

GreenMonster
12-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I don't really like this deal. I like Chris Young and think he has a tremendous upside. Adidas said alot when he mentioned Young is only a couple of years removed from the NBA. I hate to see the Rangers give up on young talent. Sosa and Rob Nen come to mind. Chris Young WILL become a very strong pitcher in the very near future and I hate to see the Rangers throw all that talent away. Laird may fit an immediate need for the Rangers but 90% of big league catchers are equal to the talent that Laird has and another one could have been found to replace him. Pitchers with records above .500 and ERA's under 5 are much harder to find especially young ones with 5 - 10 years left in their arms. Had the Rangers shipped Laird instead of Young I say good trade but the Rangers were more interested in dumping Young's salary which is larger than Laird's.

Cameron Crazy
12-20-2005, 08:55 PM
YO!!! JEss did the Rangers get zito?