PDA

View Full Version : Minor League hockey in Texas ?

3afan
12-20-2005, 05:55 AM
anyone go to see their local minor league team play? I went to some Central Texas Stampede games when they played in Belton a while back but haven't sees a minor league game lately.

Texas cities with minor league hockey:

Houston
San Antonio
Fort Worth
Odessa
Lubbock
Amarillo
Laredo
Corpus Christi
Austin
Hidalgo (is that where Dodge Arena is ???)
any others?

piratebg
12-20-2005, 07:23 AM
I have been to several of the Corpus Christi Ice Rayz home games. While hockey is not one of my most favorite sports to watch on tv, actually sitting and watching a live one is awesome. If there is a team near you, I definitely recommend it if you have the chance. Tickets are not expensive at all, so bring a friend or your family with you.

turbostud
12-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
Hidalgo (is that where Dodge Arena is ???)

Yes it is. The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees play there.

ProducerBilly
12-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Texas Tornado in Frisco are Back to Back National Champs!!!

3afan
12-20-2005, 08:11 AM
oops, forgot about them - my brother is a season ticket holder, he says those are fun games --- think there is also a team in Texarkana in that league

3afan
12-20-2005, 08:30 AM
FYI, I asked my bro if he considered the Texas Tornado "minor league" ... his response ::

"No ...

Junior 'A' hockey is the top level of amateur hockey played in North America. The level of play is consistent and similar with top college hockey programs and minor league professional teams. Nearly 80% of today's current NHL players have played Junior 'A' hockey as a stepping-stone into professional hockey. Texas Tornado players use Junior 'A' hockey as a transition to either NCAA Division I hockey or professional hockey. The playing rules are almost identical to those of the NHL."

for what its worth ...............

big daddy russ
12-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I used to watch the CC IceRays all the time... but that was a few years ago. One of my old HS buddies (well, he was from Portland) became the Coliseum's arena manager.

I watched so much free hockey back in those days.

Cameron Crazy
12-20-2005, 05:52 PM
There is a team from witchita falls but theyarent good and not that fun to watch !

WOSgrad
12-20-2005, 07:26 PM
My wife is a huge hockey fan so we watch all of the Houston Aero games that we can make. We are even trying to plan a weekend to follow them over to San Antonio when they play.

WOSgrad
12-20-2005, 07:30 PM
There is a ECHL franchise in Beaumont...but they didn't take the ice this season as Ford Arena, the home arena for the team was used for the several weeks of the season to house Katrina and then Rita recovery efforts.

As they have not enjoyed stellar success either on the ice or at the box office, they may not be on the list next year.

Cameron Crazy
12-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I think the Tornado's play the used to be rustlers dont know there name now.

Iowa Park alum
12-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
There is a team from witchita falls but theyarent good and not that fun to watch !

First of all it's 'Wichita Falls'. They are now the "Wichita Falls Wildcats"...used to the "Rustlers", but that was couple of years ago (new ownership). The first time thay played the Texas Tornado the Wildcats beat them 6-0 (since then the Tornado has come back to lead the season series). This thread is actually about the minor leagues, not amateur leagues.

At any rate, it sure is fun to watch. Nice new coliseum, less than 5 years old.

http://www.thefreeimagehosting.com/Uploads/Images/Thumbs/7470100000000DSCF2086a.jpg