PDA

View Full Version : The Top 3A Coaching Jobs in the State...

Milk That Cow
12-19-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm curious to hear what the Top 3A Coaching Jobs in the State are...

Meaning, if that particular job came open, there would be a buzz across the state to see whose on the short list and who eventually gets the job...

What schools/jobs would that be and explain to the masses why you think it is???

wos fan1
12-19-2005, 10:22 PM
WOS
Cuero
Sweetwater
Wylie
Gainsville
Wimberely

Hupernikomen
12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
BH
Atlanta
Jasper
Gilmer
Daingerfield

To name a few more that would create a buzz.

Why? Because they have the athletes year in and year out to go the distance. (Maybe not BH, but they have the loot ;) )

Leopards,class of 75
12-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
WOS
Cuero
Sweetwater
Wylie
Gainsville
Wimberely All good choices!

LewP
12-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
I'm curious to hear what the Top 3A Coaching Jobs in the State are...

Meaning, if that particular job came open, there would be a buzz across the state to see whose on the short list and who eventually gets the job...

What schools/jobs would that be and explain to the masses why you think it is???

Frenship has an opening right now...as does Abilene Cooper.

Frenship would be a gold mine!

TatumEagle '99
12-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Might as well throw Tatum in there, we have been a top program in 3A for years.

LewP
12-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by TatumEagle '99

The problem i have with Tatum would be on the salary side...I mean, what happens if Tatum were to go to 2A...would that mean the coaches pay goes down also?

its_n_ D_water
12-19-2005, 10:31 PM
WOS
Cuero
Sweetwater
Wylie
Gainsville
Wimberely
I dont see Rockdale on this list.....:D

wos fan1
12-19-2005, 10:31 PM
:D Rockdale.

wos fan1
12-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Our Head Coach at WOS Dan Hooks has been here since 1981. He's coached here when we were 5A all the way down to 3A (present). He looks to Coach 1 more year, then everybody and their Mama will apply here.

Hupernikomen
12-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by LewP
The problem i have with Tatum would be on the salary side...I mean, what happens if Tatum were to go to 2A...would that mean the coaches pay goes down also?

Not unless they lower the salaries of everyone else. I doubt they would slash the stipend the coaches are getting. Might reduce the staff if anything.

rockdale80
12-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by its_n_ D_water
I dont see Rockdale on this list.....:D

Not surprised to see SWEETWATER on there!

THEY ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY AMAZINGLY GOOD!;)

Hupernikomen
12-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Our Head Coach at WOS Dan Hooks has been here since 1981. He's coached here when we were 5A all the way down to 3A (present). He looks to Coach 1 more year, then everybody and their Mama will apply here.

Lot of people might not want the job for a few reasons.

#1 WO-S is a very high pressure job. I wonder how much hot water Hooks would be in right now if he wasn't Hooks. It has been 20 years since they won a championship.

#2 Who wants to follow Hooks?

#3 No need to apply if you haven't won it all because I don't think you have a snowball chance of getting the job otherwise. Unless you are from within the program or a big time coordinator.

Probably will be a ton of applicants but I don't think it will that hard to sort through them, but whoever gets the job has a local legend's shoes to fill.

hutex04
12-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Marlin and Cuero would be my dream jobs for 3a.

etbu
12-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by TatumEagle '99

Any idea what the HC makes in tatum? Or what his assistants make?

TatumEagle '99
12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Totally have no 100% truth other than what I have "heard" and have come to believe but the only guess that I can make is when arguably the best coach in Tatum history John Crawford was here, as the AD and Head Football Coach I believe he was making somewhere close to $60K. I have no idea how that compares to some other schools. I do know without knowing the true salary, is that we have always paod our coaches top notch for 3A. I know he left Tatum and went to Burleson (a 4A school up in Dallas0 and got a decent pay raise to closer to $80K from what I understand. Take that for what its worth.

Tatum may be a small town, but what you guys don't know is that Tatum is one of the richest 3A schools in the State. We have a coal mining plant there in town, and for awhile there we were giving away almost 3 million dollars a year to surrounding schools with that Robin Hood thing the state of Texas put in. Where richer schools districts gave money to poorer schools. It was funny because that money was going to much bigger 4A and one or two 5A schools.

Take that with a grain of salt but I do believe as far as money Tatum could compete with anyone not in the top tier of schools.

etbu
12-19-2005, 10:55 PM
I know that for a fact that money is not Tatums probelm. I lived and was in the area when they first open the plant back in the 80's. Tatum can match any schools pay especially when they just won the state title. GOOD FOR TATUM but there are a ton of schools that will be calling Coach Evans count on that. As I said earlier GOOD FOR TATUM. :D

wos fan1
12-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Lot of people might not want the job for a few reasons.

#1 WO-S is a very high pressure job. I wonder how much hot water Hooks would be in right now if he wasn't Hooks. It has been 20 years since they won a championship.

#2 Who wants to follow Hooks?

#3 No need to apply if you haven't won it all because I don't think you have a snowball chance of getting the job otherwise. Unless you are from within the program or a big time coordinator.

Probably will be a ton of applicants but I don't think it will that hard to sort through them, but whoever gets the job has a local legend's shoes to fill. DC Coach Thompson that had the great Defenses in the 80's and 90's and 2000 would probably get it!! And Should! After making it to the 4A state Championship in 2000 with that Defense that was awesome.

SHS
12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
I know of great coaches who coach with what there given athlete wise and i know of bad coaches who don't get it done with great athletes.

kaorder1999
12-19-2005, 11:24 PM
one thing you have to remember is the more successful a team is the more apt the district is to hire from within and not even take applicants.

etbu
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
one thing you have to remember is the more successful a team is the more apt the district is to hire from within and not even take applicants.

Bro what is the "apt"? Can you clarify or restate?

TatumEagle '99
12-19-2005, 11:30 PM
The last 4 or 5 coaches in Tatum have never come from someone moving into the head coaching job. Every time we need a coach we go out and find someone instead of run of the mill coaches coming to us. We have those, but Tatum takes pride in our football and well we try to get a very established coach from 2A or someone at another 3a and give them a pay raise. That's just Tatum, for what it is worth.

VWG
12-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

I would tend to disagree. If the program is doing well, sometimes the school board wants another "high profile" coach to come in and take over. It's the old case of a good asst. coach being a good asst., but turning out to be a bad head coach.
Seen it happen before. Guy is on staff and a heck of an asst. coach, then gets full reign as HC and it turns sour in about two to three years. Then he's out of a job in a town where he was loved and respected as an asst. coach.

kaorder1999
12-19-2005, 11:35 PM
ok..then you bring in a high profile coach and whats he going to want to do? He will want to bring his own staff and that assistant that you love so much is out of a job and looking elsewhere

TatumEagle '99
12-19-2005, 11:38 PM
That's what has been done in Tatum for the past 4 or 5 coaches. He comes in and brings his own staff and keeps whomever he wants. In a small town some coaches will stay and agree to coach but a lot of them are going to follow that head coach anyway.

etbu
12-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Brutal business.

Milk That Cow
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
I know coaches salaries are somewhat taboo to talk about, but it would be interesting to see what some of these jobs pay...

It's pretty easy to measure community support, tradition, pipeline of talent...

But, it would be interesting to see how these towns value that by paying the Head Coach a prevailing or market rate...

oh well
12-20-2005, 12:19 AM
3 years ago Everman would have been on that list

Tatum_Fan
12-20-2005, 12:23 AM
By law, the HS principal has to make more than the AD. I don't see Coach Evans going anywhere for a while.

Trust me, money is not an issue when it comes to Tatum...especially Tatum athletics

Check out www.tatumisd.org for the construction pictures of the FOURTH basketball gym (colliseum) going up at Tatum High School

I say fourth because this new gym will have a practice gym within it. They already have the current gym and another practice gym.

big daddy russ
12-20-2005, 01:05 AM
I know that public figures' salaries are available to anyone. I remember a few years ago I saw a list of some AD's and what they made. The Ingleside AD (at the time) was making $74K... and he wasn't the highest paid small school guy on the list.

I think most AD's get paid upwards of $65K. Maybe some of the coaches on the board could give us some closer or more recent figures.

injuredinmelee
12-20-2005, 02:55 AM
By law, the HS principal has to make more than the AD.

and where did you get this jewel???

BreckTxLonghorn
12-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

I actually believe (and trust me, I could definitely be wrong) that it was put in by the state to enforce that Texas focuses on education, not athletics. Either way, it is a true statement as I have family in the admininstration side. Principals love having a successful coach, as a pay raise to the coach can mean a pay raise to the principal.

And as for top 3a coaching job in the state, I would have to think Abilene-Wylie is an obvious choice for one of the top spots. Hugh Sandifer (head coach/AD) has done a tremendous job turning the program into a winning tradition. Their facilities are state of the art (at least when I was in high school they were), plus they make the playoffs (and are a threat) every year, and the community rallies behind them significantly. Does anyone really WANT to play Wylie come November? They are also a well off school in terms of funding, so the pay is competitive if not better. And of course, when redistricting starts, they always seem to be headed to 4a, but stay in 3a, so size factors in.

I was raised to be anti-Wylie in everything, but if I was heading into the coaching profession, this would be my dream job.

Hupernikomen
12-20-2005, 04:26 AM

Have heard the same..don't know if it true or not..might just be local board policy in some places.

3afan
12-20-2005, 05:37 AM
this is a tough questions 'cause of how different people define "best Job".

does "best job" mean
- highest $ ?
- best chance to win ?
- best chance to win a state title?
- best facilities ?
- best ISD to work for ?
- one school vs. multiple school town ?
- location, location, location ?
- something else ?

its probably a combination of the above and of course opinions will differ.

interesting example - someone mentioned Everman would have been a good joba 3 years ago. if thats the case, why is Everman not a good job now? they've upgraded facilities, moved up to 4A - which is a positive for a coach i would suspect. obviously "best chance to win a state title" is an important factor in that comment.

VWG
12-20-2005, 07:48 AM
In my opinion.....
The factors that come into a "good coaching job" would be the following:
1) The school itself, it's athletic facilities and the student body.
What type of kids are you going to be coaching?
2) Pay scale and control over the athletic department. As someone mentioned before, usually when a new coach steps in he brings most of his staff from where he came from.
3) Community support and getting them involved.
How much support do you get from the town? I am sure taking the job at Pottsboro would be a little different scenario than taking an opening at a school with more of a winning tradition.

Matthew328
12-20-2005, 08:03 AM
I personally think Everman is now one of the better 4A jobs in the state now...

good pay
loaction in a one school town close to a big city
upgraded facilties (new fieldhouse in the works, stadium updgrades, pressbox updgraded)
coach gets total control
athletes out the wazoo with the talent pool growing
chance to win each and every year and win big...

remember this is an Everman team that has 2 consecutive trips to regional semi-finals in 4A...and they had a chance to beat Hebron at the end...Everman had the ball inside the Hebron 30 before throwing an INT! Luckily the jump to 4A hasn't affected Everman like it has Forney or Burnet

LewP
12-20-2005, 10:04 AM
OK, ya'll may think this is crazy, but I suspect Northwest High School, in Justin Texas maybe one of the best jobs in the state. It might be the best kept secret also.
Here is their website http://www.northwest.k12.tx.us/athletics.htm

Northwest is just a stone's throw from Texas Motor Speedway, and for those who don't know, they are is busting at the seams with new money, and new housing.

The Northwest Texans have state of the art facilities, including an indoor practice field. They are in the same district as Lewisville Hebron. I predict they will be a little SLC soon...it seems they have all the makings for an elite ISD, and I don't live there so this isn't a homer observation.

Tatum_Fan
12-20-2005, 10:27 AM

I am working on my masters degree in Education Administration and this is what we studied in my School Law class

However, I believe this only applies to salary

There are other perks that don't have to be included. Tatum's AD for example, the district provides him with a home - Of course he has to pay rent but I'm sure it's not much

LewP
12-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Tatum_Fan
I am working on my masters degree in Education Administration and this is what we studied in my School Law class

However, I believe this only applies to salary

There are other perks that don't have to be included. Tatum's AD for example, the district provides him with a home - Of course he has to pay rent but I'm sure it's not much

Knowing how versatile the folks in Tatum are..he probably preaches on Sunday also :D

Dogman_1969
12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Most coaches look at openings on a regular basis. A few years ago I knew a coach that was offered the Tatum job and declined. Looking back now that was probably a very bad decision on his part.

After the 2003 season Rockdale had over 220 or so applicants for their AD\HC opening. People would be totally surprised at the folks who applied and their credentials (College Assist coaches, Head coaches, State Championships, assistants, and so on).

The thing that schools have to be careful of is not to hire someone who is of top notch character, not just a good coach. If your "Leader" coaches with class and instills dignity and self pride in your athletes then your school did it's job. Winning will come with hard work.

Don't get me wrong, everybody loves winning. But, speaking as a parent, I have seen coaches that were very successful that I would not want my son's to play for. Some win at all cost, some only care about the star athletes, some only care about the athletes until their season is over and some do really care year around. You find me a coach that will give up his time to go support his athletes during academic awards cermonies, family tragedies, and events other that athletic competitions and you have found me a winner in my book......

Just my opinion.................

Dogman_1969
12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
posted twice......sorry.......

etbu
12-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Most coaches look at openings on a regular basis. A few years ago I knew a coach that was offered the Tatum job and declined. Looking back now that was probably a very bad decision on his part.

After the 2003 season Rockdale had over 220 or so applicants for their AD\HC opening. People would be totally surprised at the folks who applied and their credentials (College Assist coaches, Head coaches, State Championships, assistants, and so on).

The thing that schools have to be careful of is not to hire someone who is of top notch character, not just a good coach. If your "Leader" coaches with class and instills dignity and self pride in your athletes then your school did it's job. Winning will come with hard work.

Don't get me wrong, everybody loves winning. But, speaking as a parent, I have seen coaches that were very successful that I would not want my son's to play for. Some win at all cost, some only care about the star athletes, some only care about the athletes until their season is over and some do really care year around. You find me a coach that will give up his time to go support his athletes during academic awards cermonies, family tragedies, and events other that athletic competitions and you have found me a winner in my book......

Just my opinion.................

Great post and well said:clap:

scotty
12-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Sealy is currently a bit down, but because of tradition, location and a fine new school with a weight room that is second to none an opening in Sealy would attract an enormous amount of attention. The area is steadily growing and Sealy is within an hours drive from major league football, baseball, basketball and the theaters. You are within easy access to some of the best waterfowl hinting in the country and only about an hour and half drive from the Gulf of Mexico.
Some of the transplanted assistant coaches who came from West Texas couldn’t believe how many things were at offer when they came here. Bellville is another very attractive place for a coach.

texasjeremy
12-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Probably the best 3A job currently open right now is at Fairfield HS.