PDA

View Full Version : SLC- Greatest Run Ever?

sinfan75
12-19-2005, 08:31 PM
How can you say no? 4 years in 5A , 3 state titles, 2 national titles in a row and a 63-1 record. It's mind boggling.

gobbler84
12-19-2005, 08:38 PM
How do you win a National Title if you don't play any other teams in the Nation?

eagles_victory
12-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
How do you win a National Title if you don't play any other teams in the Nation? It's the mythical national title.

rockdale80
12-19-2005, 08:40 PM
How do you win a National Title if you don't play any other teams in the Nation?

Its all opinion. But in my opinion the champion of Texas is most likely the champion of the Nation as well.

sinfan75
12-19-2005, 08:41 PM
By writers making the polls. you know like college.:rolleyes:

Hupernikomen
12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah SLC and Celina's streaks are pretty much unmatched in Texas.

Haunta Yo
12-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Coach Ledbetter went WAY out on a limb when he hired Dodge...
and it's paid off. Congrats to Coach Ledbetter, Dodge and all of SLC.

This is from the star-telegram:
"As seventh-graders, current seniors remembered when Dodge came to the middle schools to introduce himself.

The new varsity coach had arrived from Fossil Ridge High School with a 27-33 record that included stops at Cameron Yoe and Carrollton Smith. Never, Dodge said, did anyone expect Carroll would have a shot at three state titles in a six-year span."

beer30
12-19-2005, 09:04 PM
celina 68-0

its_n_ D_water
12-19-2005, 09:19 PM
lets see how slc recruits this year.....;)

its_n_ D_water
12-19-2005, 09:20 PM
:)

West22
12-19-2005, 09:44 PM
I DO NOT THINK THAT SLC RECURITS ,HOWEVER I THINK THAT A LOT OF PARENTS WITH GOOD ATHELETS LOOK AT SLC AS A GREAT PLACE TO GET ON A WINNING PROGRAM SO THEY ELECT TO LIVE THERE KNOWING THEIR SON WILL BE ON A WINNER .

its_n_ D_water
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
must be nice to chose your school :thinking: ......some of us blue collar folk dont have that option....oh well right all good things come to a end....:D

Hupernikomen
12-19-2005, 10:31 PM
SLC doesn't have to recruit winning takes care of that for them. It isn't happening in just one spot in this big ole state of ours. It happens in every county (except those 3 that don't play football that is). Rules are set up to govern it when it is done inappropriately.

its_n_ D_water
12-19-2005, 10:33 PM
so are you saying they are doing or not?

Hupernikomen
12-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by its_n_ D_water
so are you saying they are doing or not?

I said winning does it for them..of course they aren't knocking on door or calling athletes. Not like Dodge has the right to tell a family they can't buy a house within the SLC school district, but I doubt he has any broker buddies looking for families with athletes to sell to either.

Hupernikomen
12-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by its_n_ D_water
must be nice to chose your school :thinking: ......some of us blue collar folk dont have that option....oh well right all good things come to a end....:D

and I agree it is an unfair advantage for some of the richer school districts who continuously get a influx of transfer athletes into their district. I don't know how you can possibly stop it though.

West22
12-19-2005, 10:53 PM
HIGHLAND PARK IS ANOTHER SCHOOL WHO HAS A STEADY FLOW OF GOOD PLAYERS .

TatumEagle '99
12-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Whats even more impressive is that SLC has been doing that since they were in 3A back in the mid '90's. Those guys beat Tatum in '94 I believe in the Semi's and went on to win State in 3A. The next year they lose like 2 games in 4A their first year there, then win State the next year. Soon after that they move up to 5A and have this winning streak going. I mean seriously how do you move from 3A in the mid 90's to constantly winning all the way up to 5A?

its_n_ D_water
12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Im sure some of those rich folks have some pull somewhere...example: Highland Park vs Marshall game.... stadium not big enuff to fit everyone..not enuff tickets ...Highland Park politicans cant get tickets gets mad ...pulls some strings in Austin...Austin talks to UIL....waaala....one spot for all division championship comes up....politics and money and hs football...hummm:thinking:

football4life
12-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Well whatever the case, it appears that this great run could be very far from over, who knows how long they can keep on doing this.:thinking:

its_n_ D_water
12-19-2005, 11:43 PM
I just noticed but im not a rookie anymore....well :clap:

gobbler84
12-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by West22
I DO NOT THINK THAT SLC RECURITS ,HOWEVER I THINK THAT A LOT OF PARENTS WITH GOOD ATHELETS LOOK AT SLC AS A GREAT PLACE TO GET ON A WINNING PROGRAM SO THEY ELECT TO LIVE THERE KNOWING THEIR SON WILL BE ON A WINNER .

Nate Newton's son is the runningback...I garuntee that the parents of everyone on that team has an income of at least 250,000 a year or more!!! It's just an all around great athlete school!!

Another note...Since 5a, All of their quarterbacks have held the most touchdowns in a season record...It was broken by McElroy the other night!!

District303aPastPlayer
12-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Another note...Since 5a, All of their quarterbacks have held the most touchdowns in a season record...It was broken by McElroy the other night!!

they talked about that, the 2 chase's and mcelroy own the record books.

Bearkat
12-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by football4life
Well whatever the case, it appears that this great run could be very far from over, who knows how long they can keep on doing this.:thinking:

One main ingrediant to their success is, there's only one school to choose from. Their not like other areas that have 4 or 5 high schools to choose from. Other DFW school districts: Mansfield has 3 high schools with a 4th on the way. Arlington has 5, I think. I'm not taking anything away from SLC. They play good football. What would happen if 3 more schools opened up? Talent begins to go other places.

I've heard instead of opening new schools to accomodate the number of students, SLC just keeps adding portable buildings.

Adidas410s
12-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
One main ingrediant to their success is, there's only one school to choose from. Their not like other areas that have 4 or 5 high schools to choose from. Other DFW school districts: Mansfield has 3 high schools with a 4th on the way. Arlington has 5, I think. I'm not taking anything away from SLC. They play good football. What would happen if 3 more schools opened up? Talent begins to go other places.

I've heard instead of opening new schools to accomodate the number of students, SLC just keeps adding portable buildings.

case in point...look at Lewisville. 10 years ago they were one of the top teams in 5A every year. Then they open Lewisville Flower Mound (not to be confused with Marcus) and now they have Lewisville Hebron (in 4A for now) and it's not slowing down at all. A nice thing that will keep SLC as one school is the community doesn't have A LOT of room to grow and build new houses within the city unless all of the farm land on the west side of town towards I-35 is sold off. Not sure if the boundary for Justin Northwest stretches across 35 or not but that is another thing to keep them from growing TOO much and forcing them to open multiple schools.

3afan
12-20-2005, 10:03 AM
of course additional schools disperse the talent - if a new HS were to be a senior HSs (grades 11-12)

I dont think the Carrol ISD is a fast growing ISD - compared to the other suburban ISDs ... the economics of the town are preventing that ... don't look for a new HS in Southlake any time soon

Rabbit'93
12-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
of course additional schools disperse the talent - if a new HS were to be a senior HSs (grades 11-12)

I dont think the Carrol ISD is a fast growing ISD - compared to the other suburban ISDs ... the economics of the town are preventing that ... don't look for a new HS in Southlake any time soon
I wish/hope/pray that Forney will adopt the HS/Senior High. I can stand to bear the thought of North Forney Longhorns:rolleyes:

KTJ
12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
case in point...look at Lewisville. 10 years ago they were one of the top teams in 5A every year. Then they open Lewisville Flower Mound (not to be confused with Marcus) and now they have Lewisville Hebron (in 4A for now) and it's not slowing down at all. A nice thing that will keep SLC as one school is the community doesn't have A LOT of room to grow and build new houses within the city unless all of the farm land on the west side of town towards I-35 is sold off. Not sure if the boundary for Justin Northwest stretches across 35 or not but that is another thing to keep them from growing TOO much and forcing them to open multiple schools.

Lewisville High started to suck WAY before Flower Mound High even had blueprints for construction. Flower Mound Marcus won a State Championship in the late 90's without taking talent from Lewisville or The Colony.

And as for Southlake, it's still growing but the school board has publically stated that there won't be a second high school. But not because the school board doesn't want it--because they do--but because the CITIZENS of that community have repeatedly said No to building a 2nd high school. The same can be said for Austin Westlake, sans the championships over the years.

kaorder1999
12-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Coach Ledbetter went WAY out on a limb when he hired Dodge...
and it's paid off. Congrats to Coach Ledbetter, Dodge and all of SLC.

This is from the star-telegram:
"As seventh-graders, current seniors remembered when Dodge came to the middle schools to introduce himself.

The new varsity coach had arrived from Fossil Ridge High School with a 27-33 record that included stops at Cameron Yoe and Carrollton Smith. Never, Dodge said, did anyone expect Carroll would have a shot at three state titles in a six-year span."

celinas run was awesome

sicem74
12-20-2005, 02:51 PM
dodge it good cant wait to see how riley plays

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-20-2005, 04:46 PM
I followed SLC during their 3A days as my exwife (yuck) graduated from SLC and my former mother-in-law was a school teacher there for 30 years. I can tell you that the little town of Southlake back then was football crazy. (Like many towns our size 3A). There was a sign at the edge of town (on away games) that said "Last one out of town turn off the lights" and that community has wanted only 1 high school. The community is solid behind it and there will be no 2nd high school.

They still have that community pride in their school and since there is only 1 of them they all stand togther. Neat idea they had. Of course winning helps that too.

Da Mules
12-20-2005, 06:33 PM
School spirit, talent, coaching, tradition my butt -- it's all the blond heads :D

Cameron Crazy
12-20-2005, 09:16 PM
loll