PDA

View Full Version : GOLDEN CIRCLE BASKETBALL: No. 15 Fairfield perfect in 2005

mwynn05
12-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Published: December 17, 2005 10:28 pm

GOLDEN CIRCLE BASKETBALL: No. 15 Fairfield perfect in 2005
By Joel Weckerly

Daily Sun

Don’t fault Joey Worley for not being surprised. He sort of figured his Fairfield basketball team would have this kind of success.

With eight returning lettermen and five returning starters back on his squad, the sixth-year head coach had high hopes for a big season.

“We had a lot of expectations because of the number of kids that we returned from our team last year,” Worley said.

As if their 20-8 mark a year ago wasn’t impressive enough, the Eagles are already off to a 15-0 start in 2005. The unblemished record goes nicely with a No. 15 ranking in the latest Texas Association of Basketball Coaches (TABC) poll.

But the Eagles’ success isn’t nearly as impressive as the way they’re earning it. Employing a run-and-gun style foreign to most 3A teams, Fairfield is literally chasing opponents out of the gym, averaging over 80 points a game and beating teams by 40- and even 50-point margins.

Their average margin of victory stood at 27.4 points through Thursday, as only Class 4A Mabank has kept it close with a six-point loss on Dec. 6. The 80 points a game is remarkable considering the Eagles averaged 66 a game in ’04-05.

But even though no one seems to be catching up with them on offense, Worley said the Eagles get the job done defensively as well.

“We take quite a bit of pride defensively, in terms of not wanting to give up a lot of points,” he said. “We’re really not interested in the Loyola offense of outscoring people. We just want to play 94 feet of defense and run as fast as we can offensively.”

Even with a full-court man-to-man defense and a furious pace on offense, this squad just doesn’t seem to tire. And even though the players all happen to be in tip-top shape, this restlessness comes from a wealth of depth.

In most games Worley distributes minutes fairly evenly between 10 players, all of whom can score. The most dangerous are the eight players back from last year — wing players Billy McMillian, Alfraid Manning, Jarrett Manning and Asa Douglas and posts Ben Sturtevant, Chase Gillian, Nolan Melontree and Malcolm Woodruff.

“We really have 10 kids who would start for us most years,” Worley said. “We generally play close to 10, which helps us a lot because we wear people down. It’s part of the reason we’ve been playing quite a bit faster and scoring quite a few points. With the number of kids we have that need to get on the floor, you need to make the game go pretty fast.”

And when they’re going fast, that’s when the Eagles are most dangerous.

“We’re in the best shape that any team can be in right now,” Douglas said. “If we’re running and going like we are, we feel like nobody can keep up with us.”

Generally a team with that kind of offensive caliber features one or two prolific scorers, but not Fairfield. These Eagles would rather have eight guys produce 11 points than have three score 29. Either way you’re likely to win, but the former is easier and therefore more effective.

Through 14 games, Alfraid Manning was the leading scorer with 12.6 points per game, followed by Melontree (11.8), Jarrett Manning (10.7) and Douglas (8.6).

“It’s been that way,” Worley said. “It’s not anything by design. We really don’t have that one 25 points-per-game player, but we’ve got eight who can go in double figures at any time. Our four posts, on any night different ones score. We have different shooters, and if one’s hot we try to give them the ball. It’s been a positive; you can’t just focus on one player.”

Douglas, who has been coming off the bench lately to provide valuable points, agreed.

“If a team can go to their number seven or eight player off the bench and still produce the numbers our teammates are producing, I think any coach would love to have that team,” he said. “Rather than maybe one or two guys averaging 20 a game — you can’t count on that every night.”

Strangely similar to the Indianapolis Colts’ 14-0 start to their season, Worley is trying to prevent the “undefeated” word from clouding his baby step philosophy to the season.

“We talked a lot about playing every Tuesday and Friday and just seeing how things go,” he said. “We won our first tournament at Whitney, and then we wanted to win our own tournament, and we did. That’s where we’re going, just one step at a time, and seeing where it leads us.”

Right now it seems to be leading them to an undefeated non-district mark — though they still must get by the Whataburger Tournament field Dec. 27-29 and a stout 1A program in Martin’s Mill Jan. 6.

After that it’s on to District 18-3A play, where Fairfield will open with bitter rival Mexia at home on Jan. 13. The Blackcats have won eight consecutive district titles, clinching it last year with two narrow wins over the Eagles.

In his fourth year on varsity, Douglas is fed up with losing to Mexia, and wants the streak to end in ’06.

“Right now I’ve got January 13 marked down on my calendar, and I have ever since football came to an end,” he said. “Our main goal for now is probably winning the district title because Mexia’s had if for a long time.”

If things keep rolling like they have been, Fairfield could pin up its first district banner since 1997. But don’t think the Eagles’ expectations are based solely on district play. That No. 15 TABC ranking simply won’t be satisfactory at the end of the season.

“In our eyes, the only poll that matters is at the end of the season,” Douglas said. “We’re hoping that poll is going to say ‘Fairfield — Number 1.’ That’s our goal.”

—————

Joel Weckerly may be contacted via e-mail at jweckerly@corsicanadailysun.com

Fairfield of Dreams

The Fairfield boys’ basketball team is 15-0 with almost half of its schedule behind it. The Eagles have been demolishing opponents with their run-and-gun style, as evidenced by this season’s results:

Date Result

11-15 Fairfield 90, McLennan County 37

11-18 Fairfield 84, Hillsboro 34

11-21 Fairfield 93, Palestine Westwood 62

11-22 Fairfield 81, Grapeland 60

11-29 Fairfield 89, Palestine 76

12-1 Fairfield 90, Aledo 48

12-2 Fairfield 71, China Spring 47

12-3 Fairfield 96, Whitney 55

12-6 Fairfield 71, Mabank 65

12-8 Fairfield 83, McLennan County 22

12-9 Fairfield 80, Athens 59

12-10 Fairfield 80, Crockett 57

12-10 Fairfield 52, Waco La Vega 38

12-12 Fairfield 72, Mart 58

12-16 Fairfield 68, Crockett 48
http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/local_story_351222846.html

One thing left out of the article when talking about the rest of the non-district sched. is when Fairifeld travels to TABC #1 Bullard on January 3.

3afan
12-18-2005, 01:57 PM
whats the "GOLDEN CIRCLE" ????

mwynn05
12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
whats the "GOLDEN CIRCLE" ???? The Corsicana paper calls there area arond Corsicana that I don't really know why either.

3afan
12-18-2005, 02:07 PM
OIC, thx ..............

mwynn05
12-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
OIC, thx .............. Yeah a bunch of really small towns mostly 1a and 2a....they only cover fairfield when none of the other teams are playing or we are doing good it is kind of far though

Johnny Utah
12-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Coach Worley is one heck of a coach!!!

mwynn05
12-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Coach Worley is one heck of a coach!!! Yeah he did a good job with us last year and is doing the same this year

Johnny Utah
12-18-2005, 07:32 PM
He was one heck of a high school player in Cisco Texas America!!!

eagles_victory
12-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Was he really a good high school player? I play on Fairfield and he almost dunked it the other day.

Johnny Utah
12-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Ask him who was better back in the day!!! Him or Fuzzy Butler!!

eagles_victory
12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Who is Fuzzy Butler?

Johnny Utah
12-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Just ask him who was better. Fuzzy was from Ranger(district rival of Cisco). Best pure shooter I have ever seen!!!

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Just ask him who was better. Fuzzy was from Ranger(district rival of Cisco). Best pure shooter I have ever seen!!! Well last year after we got beat out by Manor how lucky we were to get to play 2 playoff games because he never got to play in one so im guessing they never made the playoffs and ranger did make the playoffs

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 12:30 PM
When he was in high school, their district was very tough, only one got to represent back in that day!!!

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 12:30 PM
When he was in high school, their district was very tough, only one got to represent back in that day!!! yea i knew that

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Butler played at Ranger, then went on to play at Centenary in college. Very good coming from a small 2a school!!! His father was a long time basketball coach at Ranger Junior College.

Cameron Crazy
12-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Looks like a great team if you can run the floor like they do your gonna win games...

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Fairfield has a chance to get to the DRUM!!!!

eagles_victory
12-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Fairfield has a chance to get to the DRUM!!!! Yea I hope you are right. But I know you are :D

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Fairfield has a chance to get to the DRUM!!!! Everyone has a chance

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 03:40 PM
I disagree, most do not. Have to have that special team for sure!!! Takes a lot of talent, team play, coaching, and LUCK!!!

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I disagree, most do not. Have to have that special team for sure!!! Takes a lot of talent, team play, coaching, and LUCK!!! at this point in the year everyone does district hasnt even started

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 03:45 PM
In tough districts yes, but honestly, some teams do not have a chance when November hits. That is just a reality!!!

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
In tough districts yes, but honestly, some teams do not have a chance when November hits. That is just a reality!!! thats what people thought about us last year especially when we were 7-5un the end we were 20-8 and lost to #1 Manor and had we not lost big leads to mexia both tmes we played them we could have just as easily made regionals

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
You are correct, that is why they play the game!!! Watched a team in 95 start 3-9, 0-2 in district. Tie for second and win a playoff and get to STATE!!! Talented team though, very talented!!!

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 04:03 PM
You are correct, that is why they play the game!!! Watched a team in 95 start 3-9, 0-2 in district. Tie for second and win a playoff and get to STATE!!! Talented team though, very talented!!! yea this years team that is 15-0 consists of pretty much the same guys as last years

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 04:05 PM
I really hope they make it, I know Coach Worley personally, he is a great person and very deserving!!! Keep them focused.

football4life
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Why are they only ranked #15??:confused:

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Why are they only ranked #15??:confused: 7th in the new poll they were 7th in the preseason poll and dropped out for no reason and have climbed back up

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I really hope they make it, I know Coach Worley personally, he is a great person and very deserving!!! Keep them focused. This team is special

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 04:19 PM
How is Canyon's district this year???

football4life
12-19-2005, 04:22 PM
How is Canyon's district this year???

I dunno, we have like 10 seniors on the team, so it's just a matter of them finding who works best where. Borger i think is favored, and they are good and young, so i have no idea really, besides that it will definitely be us or borger win our district.

Johnny Utah
12-19-2005, 04:29 PM
I remember when both Borger and Canyon were 4a, and both were really good. Tough district and great rivalry!!!

football4life
12-19-2005, 04:48 PM
I remember when both Borger and Canyon were 4a, and both were really good. Tough district and great rivalry!!!

Yea lets just say we like playing in 3A much better! Won't last too much longer though, maybe a few more years.

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 05:23 PM
I dot think we will ever be 4a

big daddy russ
12-19-2005, 05:25 PM
You are correct, that is why they play the game!!! Watched a team in 95 start 3-9, 0-2 in district. Tie for second and win a playoff and get to STATE!!! Talented team though, very talented!!!
You just reminded me of Ingleside's team my senior year. They were a lot like that. Tons of talent, started the season flat, but halfway through the season the light went on inside of our starting center. He became an animal, the rest of the team followed suit.

Finished second in district to CC West Oso, but rolled through the playoffs on our way to the Regional Tourney. Beat Burnet in the Semis but lost our other stud in the post to a torn shoulder. Stafford edged us out in the finals. Our SF had to move out of position and slide down to the 4 for that game.

Oh, and that team had five different positions for all the guys on the court. We had that 6'10" C, a 6'4" PF (listed at 6'5" or 6'6" in all our programs, was actually an inch or two shorter depending on which program you're looking at), our SF was a shade under 6'3" (listed at 6'4", was actually 6'2-7/8", 150 lbs. and was a jump shooter- that's why he was out of position at the 4), our SG was 6'1" and our PG was 5'9."

Oh, and good luck FF. Sounds like one hell of a team.

mwynn05
12-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Since TABC wont come out with another poll between now and when Bullard plays Fairfield it will be 1 v. 7 texas hoops might come out with another poll tomorrow.