PDA

View Full Version : DMN: No action planned against UT players

3afan
12-18-2005, 06:26 AM
LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/121805dnspoutfoot.32d2bc2.html)

UT: No action planned against Griffin, Taylor

01:33 AM CST on Sunday, December 18, 2005
By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – University of Texas officials repeated Saturday that they plan to take no action against two football players who are being investigated by Austin police in connection with two alleged assaults – on Sept. 4 and Dec. 10.

Patricia Ohlendorf, Texas' vice president for institutional relations and legal affairs, said she is unaware of any connection between UT athletes and the alleged Sept. 4 incident. According to police, at 3:06 a.m. Sept. 4 a suspect pulled an automatic handgun and committed an aggravated assault.

"We don't know anything about what allegedly transpired September 4th," Ohlendorf said. "And if there had been any alleged connection to something that happened three months ago, we would have known sooner. Based upon what we know, we don't have any reason to take any action. We're going to continue to cooperate with the police investigation."

Meanwhile, Austin attorney Ken Oden is advising sophomore running back Ramonce Taylor in addition to senior cornerback Cedric Griffin. Both have been questioned in connection with an assault reported to authorities as an aggravated robbery (without a weapon) on Dec. 10, Oden said.

No charges have been filed and no arrests have been made. Police said Friday they would not comment during the investigation.

"I'm working to show the dramatic events of September 4th do not relate at all to Cedric or Ramonce," Oden said. "Once that's established, the only thing left to determine is if there is any action to take on a much different action on December 10th. I'm confident we'll be able to present information that will have everyone reaching the conclusion that Ramonce or Cedric were in completely different places with different people and couldn't [have been] involved with the serious matter being investigated back in September."

Oden acknowledges that Griffin and Taylor were together in the Sixth Street entertainment district after the team's banquet on the night of Dec. 9 and into the early morning hours of Dec. 10.

Griffin, who has been invited to play in the Senior Bowl, has started every game this season. Taylor has started the last four games at tailback. In all, he has 501 yards (7.0 a carry) and 11 touchdowns. No. 2 Texas (12-0) will face top-ranked USC (12-0) for the BCS national title Jan. 4 in the Rose Bowl.

Oden said the players have communicated with a group of men they came in contact with in what Oden called "a testosterone-charged moment on the sidewalk."

"The two sides haven't met, but they've communicated, and I think there's been a lot of progress toward both sides presenting their information and hopefully reaching a reconciliation," Oden said. "I am confident there will be no cause for criminal charges."

Oden said he made two trips to the Austin Police Department on Saturday to help authorities get information from Griffin and Taylor. Oden said he was contacted by Taylor's family on Saturday.

"The family members of these kids are scared to death about what's being reported," Oden said. "The September event has been reported as having a gun involved. And anything with that kind of overtone leaves parents worried about their sons' reputations, their academic status at the school and their status with the team."

sinton66
12-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I want to caution responders to this thread to keep your comments within reason and confined to the story as written. This thread is acceptable because the source was clearly identified and it was published in the newspaper, and it is about an OFFICIAL statement from the university, therefore attaching no liability to 3A Downlow. Respondents' comments however, do not have that distinction, and will be subject to our scrutiny.

3afan
12-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
.... This thread is acceptable because the source was clearly identified and it was published in the newspaper ....

I would never think about breaking a 3ADL rule! Well, I'd think about it :D

Old Tiger
12-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I believe(hope) this will all blow over without any negatives out of it.

3afan
12-18-2005, 11:46 AM
the press & UT haters won't let it ..........

Old Tiger
12-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Go figure

KTJ
12-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
the press & UT haters won't let it ..........

Neither will USCESPN.

From what I'm hearing here in Austin, it's all being blown way out of proportion.