PDA

View Full Version : SLC/Katy story/stats

3afan
12-18-2005, 06:12 AM
SL Carroll - 34 Katy - 20

IRVING – Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge admitted he fibbed all week about the revenge factor.

Carroll avenged its 2003 loss to Katy with a 34-20 victory in the Class 5A Division II final Saturday at Texas Stadium. Payback made Carroll’s third state title in four seasons – and second consecutive mythical national championship – especially sweet.

“We tried to play that down, but behind the scenes it was something special to us,” said Dodge, whose team is 63-1 since moving up to 5A in 2002. “You get tired of hearing about the one team that beat you.”

Quarterback Greg McElroy made sure Katy wouldn’t beat Carroll again, completing 21 of 31 passes for 328 yards and four touchdowns to earn MVP honors. McElroy finished the season with 56 touchdown passes, breaking the 5A record set by Carroll’s Chase Wasson in 2002.

“I wanted to get them back,” McElroy said, recalling standing on the sidelines as a sophomore and seeing tears stream down Carroll seniors’ faces after Katy’s 16-15 win. “It feels good to do that, but this was for us.”

Carroll jumped out to a 17-0 lead after McElroy connected with receiver Corbin Smiter eight times for 133 yards and two touchdowns in the first half.

Katy (14-1), which was trying to win its fourth state title since 1997, showed no quit.

Katy, ranked No. 10 in the National Prep Football Poll, used the final minute of the first half to march for a field goal. Will Thompson, whose interception sealed Katy’s win over Carroll two years ago, took a screen pass 66 yards for a touchdown less than a minute into the second half. A field goal a few minutes later trimmed Carroll’s lead to four. The red-clad fans in the crowd of 29,840 roared.

“They had all the momentum,” said Carroll receiver McKay Jacobson, who capped his record-breaking career with six catches for 110 yards. “We knew we had to score and answer back.”

All it took was two passes from McElroy to Jacobson to make it happen. Jacobson’s 45-yard catch quieted the Katy crowd. His 26-yard touchdown reception on the next play – a pass drilled between two defenders – gave McElroy the record and Carroll all the points it needed to win the sixth state title in school history.

Defenses of Carroll’s caliber don’t give up two-score leads in the second half. Carroll’s defense came up with big plays on the next three possessions to kill Katy’s chances.

Defensive end Kyle Russo snared a pass deflected by defensive end Michael Boydston to halt a Katy drive deep in Carroll territory. Linebacker Justin Padron’s third-down sack forced Katy to attempt a 40-yard field goal, which sailed wide. And defensive back Trevor Ashlock made Carroll’s fourth interception of the game.

Safety Joseph Agnew had Carroll’s first two picks, including one he wrestled away from a receiver in the end zone. He also fulfilled a promise he made this week to his brother, Michael, a senior on the 2003 team: “We’re going to get ’em back.”

Katy 0 3 10 7 -- 20
SL Carroll 7 10 7 10 -- 34

SLC – Corbin Smiter 6 pass from Greg McElroy (Ryan Murray kick)
SLC – Murray 23 FG
SLC – Smiter 47 pass from McElroy (Murray kick)
KATY – Chris Lewis 19 FG
KATY – Will Thompson 66 pass from Andy Dalton (Lewis kick)
KATY – Lewis 23 FG
SLC – McKay Jacobson 26 pass from McElroy (Murray kick)
SLC – Murray 28 FG
SLC – Evan Fentriss 33 pass from McElroy (Murray kick)
KATY – Dalton 7 run (Lewis kick)

Statistic KATY SLC
First downs 22 21
Rushing yards 40-132 29-175
Passing yards 235 328
Comp-att-int 18-35-4 21-31-0
Punts-avg 3-38.3 3-28.3
Penalties-yards 4-30 4-38
Fumbles-lost 0-0 3-2

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
Rushing – KATY: Brandon King 20-75, Aundre Dean 10-41, Andy Dalton 9-15, Jordan Hill 1-1. SLC: Tre' Newton 19-171, Greg McElroy 10-4.
Passing – KATY: Andy Dalton 18-35-4-235. SLC: Greg McElroy 21-31-0-328.
Receiving – KATY: Michael Fuda 10-103, Will Thompson 3-79, Jordan Hill 2-34, Sam Justus 1-9, Eric Hightower 1-8, Logan Madden 1-2. SLC: Corbin Smiter 8-133, McKay Jacobson 6-110, Evan Fentriss 3-56, James Allen 1-12, Riley Dodge 1-10, Tre' Newton 2-7.

football4life
12-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Once again, these guys just dominate. Did anyone else see that Nate Newton's kid was the running back? I found that pretty interesting. It was at least the first time i had seen Nate Newton on TV for something other than drugs in a long time.:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
12-18-2005, 11:37 AM
The interview with him was kind of funny.

NewYorkYankee
12-18-2005, 01:07 PM
I thought it was funny how during commercial breaks of the game they had information on buying houses in SouthLake...lol

mwynn05
12-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by football4life
Once again, these guys just dominate. Did anyone else see that Nate Newton's kid was the running back? I found that pretty interesting. It was at least the first time i had seen Nate Newton on TV for something other than drugs in a long time.:rolleyes: hmm i wouldnt say it was domination