PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Art of Being a "True" Champion...

TexasHSFootball
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
i posted this on my board, now I am posting it here. excuse my rant but i feel like it needs to be brought up.

Congrats to Throckmorton and Stratford this season as they accomplish something that will quite possibly never be seen again in the history of Texas HS Football. That is being the last "true" state champions. Now I must step into my soap box.

One of the ever evolving faces of competition has just trickled down into the areas that were once considered untouchable as early as the beginning of this season. STarting next season, both Class 1A and Six Man are now joining the rest of the state in declaring not one but two state champions in each classification.

Now I mean no discredit to any of the teams from this season and in the past since multiple state champions have been crowned. But the system is an absolute farce, joke and disappointment. Yes, it has succeeded in bring more championship atmospheres and feelings to the kids, coaches and fans. Yes, we have a fair system in terms of competition balance.

But the fact is that now we live in a world today that has resulted in a sympathetic cry of "we don't want to hurt people's feelings because some schools would not otherwise get the opportunity to be considered a champion." Not only has it resulted in multiple state champions in each classifications, but the sympathetic outcry has reached down into the individual qualifications.

At one time in the state, only the district, city or area champion advanced to the playoffs to determine a state champion. Then as the state grew, so did the playoffs. There were the district champions and the runner ups only advancing. Then there were three. Now there are four.

As the the playoffs expanded, the importance and meaning of being a "true" champion has diminished. Under the the current format for 1A and Six Man for this year, there is a little incentive for being the district champion but not much of one. Now with the system for 5A having four playoff teams qualify, being considered a "true" champion has become a lost art. But that has occured ever since 5A expanded in the 1990's.

Here's to Throckmorton and Stratford for being the last "true" beneficiaries of being considered as a "true" champion. Congrats and enjoy it. As we remove the word "true" from all championships in football in all levels of football from the collegiate level to high school varsity football in texas. But wait? Who said the AP had to award the National Championship to the winner of the Rose Bowl? Like that of college football, Texas HS Football has found a way to crown multiple champions without the attempt teaching a valuable lesson at what it means to be the only team to be called a champion.

Hupernikomen
12-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Seems we have 10 different state champions counting 1A and six man. That appears to be expanding next year. Doesn't change the great play on the football field. So a few more teams get recognized each year as being a Div. I or Div. II champion. I doubt any of those proud communities who have won a state trophy under the new system feel any less of a champion.

Congrats to all of the 10 state championship teams in the great state of Texas. 10 out of how many school 900+ ...not too outrageous IMO.

3afan
12-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

Congrats to all of the 10 state championship teams in the great state of Texas. 10 out of how many school 900+ ...not too outrageous IMO.

i agree, the current system hurts no one, benefits many

TexasHSFootball
12-17-2005, 10:28 PM
It's not that I am complaining about the system, just look at how its evolved. I agree it hurts nobody. Every team that won a champioinship game deserves the championship. My point is, look at the historical side and significance of what Throckmorton and Stratford did the last two weeks

Sweetwater Red
12-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
i posted this on my board, now I am posting it here. excuse my rant but i feel like it needs to be brought up.

Congrats to Throckmorton and Stratford this season as they accomplish something that will quite possibly never be seen again in the history of Texas HS Football. That is being the last "true" state champions. Now I must step into my soap box.

One of the ever evolving faces of competition has just trickled down into the areas that were once considered untouchable as early as the beginning of this season. STarting next season, both Class 1A and Six Man are now joining the rest of the state in declaring not one but two state champions in each classification.

Now I mean no discredit to any of the teams from this season and in the past since multiple state champions have been crowned. But the system is an absolute farce, joke and disappointment. Yes, it has succeeded in bring more championship atmospheres and feelings to the kids, coaches and fans. Yes, we have a fair system in terms of competition balance.

But the fact is that now we live in a world today that has resulted in a sympathetic cry of "we don't want to hurt people's feelings because some schools would not otherwise get the opportunity to be considered a champion." Not only has it resulted in multiple state champions in each classifications, but the sympathetic outcry has reached down into the individual qualifications.

At one time in the state, only the district, city or area champion advanced to the playoffs to determine a state champion. Then as the state grew, so did the playoffs. There were the district champions and the runner ups only advancing. Then there were three. Now there are four.

As the the playoffs expanded, the importance and meaning of being a "true" champion has diminished. Under the the current format for 1A and Six Man for this year, there is a little incentive for being the district champion but not much of one. Now with the system for 5A having four playoff teams qualify, being considered a "true" champion has become a lost art. But that has occured ever since 5A expanded in the 1990's.

Here's to Throckmorton and Stratford for being the last "true" beneficiaries of being considered as a "true" champion. Congrats and enjoy it. As we remove the word "true" from all championships in football in all levels of football from the collegiate level to high school varsity football in texas. But wait? Who said the AP had to award the National Championship to the winner of the Rose Bowl? Like that of college football, Texas HS Football has found a way to crown multiple champions without the attempt teaching a valuable lesson at what it means to be the only team to be called a champion.

I got an idea...how bout every D. I plays D. II and When the dust
settles 1A gets whats left. That way we can have a multitude of
teams humiliated 60-0 and see kids get carried off by ems' all
night...woo-hooo

Then we would have ONE true state champ of Texas.

LewP
12-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I got an idea...how bout every D. I plays D. II and When the dust
settles 1A gets whats left. That way we can have a multitude of
teams humiliated 60-0 and see kids get carried off by ems' all
night...woo-hooo

Then we would have ONE true state champ of Texas.

Great point Red...
Let's take that a step farther....let's have 5A play all the way down to 6 man....now THAT would be a true champion!!!
Thanks for playing...

football4life
12-17-2005, 10:51 PM
It's not that I am complaining about the system, just look at how its evolved. I agree it hurts nobody. Every team that won a champioinship game deserves the championship. My point is, look at the historical side and significance of what Throckmorton and Stratford did the last two weeks

I agree. Those guys can say they accomplished something that not many others can. Congrats to those two, and to all the great teams that won titles and those that made it deep.

eagles_victory
12-18-2005, 02:02 AM

There better not be a third divison there should never be more then 2 champs in each classification. If they add a third playoff I will be so mad.

VWG
12-18-2005, 10:23 AM
I am not in favor of the two division playoff. I would rather see the district champion get a bye in the first (bi-district) round.
Keep the top three teams out of each district making the playoffs.
My biggest beef is the disparity of the enrollments. Create another class, do a 6A division. Cut the numbers down in 3A to where you've got a school with 450 kids as the smallest to about 800 for the largest.
6A 2900 +
5A 1500 to 2899
4A 801 to 1499
3A 450 to 800
2A 225 to 450
1A 101 to 224
6 Man 100 and below

This is just an idea... no exact science to it. I think the biggest problem in the disparity of numbers I've shot out here on a whim would be the 5A numbers. 1500 to 2899 is a big gap, but it's below doubling up the smallest school's enrollment.
Thoughts?

3afan
12-18-2005, 10:28 AM
IMO you cant just arbitrarily set the numbers ... otherwise you could end up with 80 schools in 3A and 480 in 4A (example - you get the idea).

I do know one thing - its a complicated problem with no easy solution. Its a fun debate.

Leopards,class of 75
12-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
IMO you cant just arbitrarily set the numbers ... otherwise you could end up with 80 schools in 3A and 480 in 4A (example - you get the idea).

I do know one thing - its a complicated problem with no easy solution. Its a fun debate. That is a very good point 3Afan.

HighSchool Fan
12-18-2005, 10:50 AM
from a fans point of view, i like the way it is set up. you have the oppurtunity to see more games.

3afan
12-18-2005, 10:57 AM
yes - and what is wrong with more state champs?

when you tell your grandkids "I won a 3A high school state football championship back in 2005" they're not gonna say "But granpa, there were two 3A champs in 2005! You weren't a true champion. Waaaahhhhhhhh!"

;)