PDA

View Full Version : Please don't drink and drive!

LewP
12-17-2005, 10:46 AM
I just wanted to submit a thread cautioning folks to not drink and drive.

I hope to see everyone back here on the Downlow, and with the holidays fast approaching, drinking and driving is a serious problem here in Texas. I'm not trying to preach here, but Texas leads the nation in alcohol related traffic accidents and alcohol related traffic deaths.

You can get more information at www.tabc.state.tx.us

Please drive carefully!

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/oct/texas_dwi/poster_lg.jpg

PhiI C
12-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Good post Lew and good advise. In fact, also don't get in the car that has a driver who has been drinking and if possible stop him or her from driving.

LewP
12-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Good post Lew and good advise. In fact, also don't get in the car that has a driver who has been drinking and if possible stop him or her from driving.

Thanks Phil, and you bring good advice as well.

PhiI C
12-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by LewP
Thanks Phil, and you bring good advice as well.

Thank you Lew and now I know hot to spell advice too. :)

hutex04
12-17-2005, 11:13 AM
ill be drinking and driving, just with a 44oz cup of coke :D Safe travels to all fans going to see there teams represented

shankbear
12-17-2005, 11:26 AM
I hate doing DWI cases because regardless of the outcome EVERYBODY loses. Do not even think about drinking and driving. It will follow you forever................if you survive.

hutex04
12-17-2005, 11:29 AM
thats the bad thing about the hollidays. Drinking and driving is increased

shankbear
12-17-2005, 11:31 AM
The jails fill up with the drivers also. The DPS and local police have a specific effort this year to get drunks off the street. It is only in your best interest to have a designated driver. It lets you be the designated drunk.....without the silly orange jump suit.

sinton66
12-17-2005, 02:30 PM
It was once considered to be the "norm" in Texas, but no more. The State has had to take drastic measures to put a stop to it, and they have done so. First convictions are serious resulting in huge fines and expensive licenses, second are more serious and usually involve bigger fines, jail stays, and the loss of your license for a time, and third convictions are now a felony that can result in prison time as a habitual offender. It doesn't get more serious than that, and this is ONLY if no injury accident was involved.

Gone are the days when a person could still have a license and insurance after having 29 DWI's. (Yes this really happened).

Please drink responsibly, there are people who want to see you after the holidays. Be smart, be safe, and have a wonderful Christmas.

3afan
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
and getting drunk is NOT an American tradition ... :rolleyes:

Cameron Crazy
12-17-2005, 03:01 PM
dont drink alchohol drink Cola..but good advice

pirate4state
12-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
and getting drunk is NOT an American tradition ... :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: who said it was? :(

3afan
12-17-2005, 04:29 PM
i wont say - and i'm just raggin' him .. the original post was deleted

LewP
12-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Sad story here about innocent lives taken by a drunk driver.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/13436393.htm

football4life
12-18-2005, 10:10 AM
just another reason to not drink at all.....:doh:

Leopards,class of 75
12-18-2005, 06:07 PM
What a sad story about the loss of 4 young girls. The story makes you think about how it effects many people including family and friends. As I read this story, I had to keep wiping tears away. Just a few years ago, one of my cousins was drinking while driving and hit a mother of two and it took her life. He is now serving 14 years in a state prison. He never would of harmed any one, but under the influnce of alchol the worse happened that night. He made a huge mistake that has effected so many lives to this day and here after. I hope this post "Please don't drink and drive" will help those to think before it's too late. In matter of fact it would be much wiser not to drink at all. Thanks for posting this as I pray that many will be helped by reading that sad story. Have a safe holidays and a Merry Christmas to all.

3afan
12-18-2005, 06:25 PM
thats exaxctly why I find it hard to stay quiet when people "brag" about getting drunk!

LewP
12-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
What a sad story about the loss of 4 young girls. The story makes you think about how it effects many people including family and friends. As I read this story, I had to keep wiping tears away. Just a few years ago, one of my cousins was drinking while driving and hit a mother of two and it took her life. He is now serving 14 years in a state prison. He never would of harmed any one, but under the influnce of alchol the worse happened that night. He made a huge mistake that has effected so many lives to this day and here after. I hope this post "Please don't drink and drive" will help those to think before it's too late. In matter of fact it would be much wiser not to drink at all. Thanks for posting this as I pray that many will be helped by reading that sad story. Have a safe holidays and a Merry Christmas to all.

I'm sorry that happened to you Leopards......

I wish you the best of Christmas!

Ranger Mom
12-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Sad story here about innocent lives taken by a drunk driver.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/13436393.htm

WOW!! I just read that story and went to the memorial website that was posted in the article.

That was some powerful reading!!!

LewP
12-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
WOW!! I just read that story and went to the memorial website that was posted in the article.

That was some powerful reading!!!

Yes Mom....it's a shame things happen like they do.

Maybe through awareness to the problem, it might make some sort of impact on folks.

Paratrooper
12-18-2005, 11:21 PM
This is the link to someone who was not killed by a drunk driver but lived to tell about it. Everyone needs to show their teenager this story. Here is the link. When you go to it watch the movie. Pretty eyeopening.

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/oct/texas_dwi/

LewP
12-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
This is the link to someone who was not killed by a drunk driver but lived to tell about it. Everyone needs to show their teenager this story. Here is the link. When you go to it watch the movie. Pretty eyeopening.

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/oct/texas_dwi/

Good post Top....

I have that on my website.. www.fwtabc.com

Boosty_Hondo
12-19-2005, 01:05 AM
this is a good idea but as all no not very many people listen

LewP
12-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Guess it's time to bring this back to the top again....

shankbear
12-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Drinking and driving ruins many lives. The drunk when he/she goes to jail and his/her family ends up on the street. The wreck victims and their families. The cops who have to see it all. The courts that are already jammed with garbage cases. The probation officers and prison workers. The welfare workers.

It reaches every level of society and all the drunk would have had to have done was get some sober person to drive. Volunteer to be a designated driver. It could be somebody we know who is the next victim of a drunk driver.

3afan
12-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
.....It could be somebody we know who is the next victim of a drunk driver.

or just a drunk person

Phil C
12-20-2005, 12:16 PM
If this thread just saves one life or one person from injury it is worth bringing it ttt. I know many won't listen to the good advice but if one person does it is great.

LewP
12-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
If this thread just saves one life or one person from injury it is worth bringing it ttt. I know many won't listen to the good advice but if one person does it is great.

I agree Phil...

Personally, I don't care if someone is at home and drinks so much they fall out of their front door nude, and chase little animals...it's getting behind the wheel impaired that scares me.

BullFrog Dad
12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
This past summer I received a phone call from the FWPD that my daughter and a friend were involved in an accident. It was about 9:30pm and they were headed to see her friend's cousin. They hit a concrete pylon after missing a sharp curve. They were in a Ford Focus and the car was upside down. By the Love of God they suffered only minor injuries. Were they drinking? No, her friend was talking on a cell phone and not giving full attention to the road. Along with "Don't Drink and Drive" "Don't Talk and Drive".

LewP
12-20-2005, 12:39 PM

LewP
12-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
This past summer I received a phone call from the FWPD that my daughter and a friend were involved in an accident. It was about 9:30pm and they were headed to see her friend's cousin. They hit a concrete pylon after missing a sharp curve. They were in a Ford Focus and the car was upside down. By the Love of God they suffered only minor injuries. Were they drinking? No, her friend was talking on a cell phone and not giving full attention to the road. Along with "Don't Drink and Drive" "Don't Talk and Drive".

Great advice Bullfrog......

Leopards,class of 75
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Great advice Bullfrog...... I agree, very good advice!!!

PPHSfan
12-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
ill be drinking and driving, just with a 44oz cup of coke :D Safe travels to all fans going to see there teams represented

Those 44 oz cups of coke are very unsafe. You can't see the road when you put that big sucker up in front of your face.:eek:

Leopards,class of 75
12-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Those 44 oz cups of coke are very unsafe. You can't see the road when you put that big sucker up in front of your face.:eek: Use a very long straw!!!! LOL

Leopards,class of 75
12-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Time to put this one to the front again!

LewP
12-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Well, here we go......

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13464491.htm

LewP
12-24-2005, 09:31 PM
ttt

Phantom Stang
12-29-2005, 01:32 PM
ttt

LewP
12-29-2005, 04:33 PM
News

Man pleads to DWI charge

By Grace Dudley/Reporter County-City Editor
Jerri Lynn Emerson appeared in front of District Judge Glen Harrison to enter a guilty plea to a class A misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated.

Emerson has two prior DWI convictions, one in Nolan County on Feb. 7, 2001 and one in Mitchell County on Feb. 24, 1999.

In exchange for the guilty plea, Emerson was sentenced to 72 hours confinement in the Nolan County Jail, two years probation, 90 days driver's license suspension, and was ordered to pay a $750 fine, $416 in court costs, and $400 in court appointed attorney's fees. Emerson must also complete 120 hours of community service.

olddawggreen
12-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I just wanted to submit a thread cautioning folks to not drink and drive.

I hope to see everyone back here on the Downlow, and with the holidays fast approaching, drinking and driving is a serious problem here in Texas. I'm not trying to preach here, but Texas leads the nation in alcohol related traffic accidents and alcohol related traffic deaths.

You can get more information at www.tabc.state.tx.us

Please drive carefully!

I remember when this accident happened in Austin. The young lady in the picture is quite an amazing person, she works very hard to spread the word about the dangers of drinking and driving. Everyone please be careful and have a safe New Years Eve.

3afan
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
ttt

Old Green
12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Drinking and driving ruins many lives. The drunk when he/she goes to jail and his/her family ends up on the street. The wreck victims and their families. The cops who have to see it all. The courts that are already jammed with garbage cases. The probation officers and prison workers. The welfare workers.

It reaches every level of society and all the drunk would have had to have done was get some sober person to drive. Volunteer to be a designated driver. It could be somebody we know who is the next victim of a drunk driver. I was in Law enforcement for almost 23 years. Sights I saw from DWI 's were heart rendering.

It 's a no win situation. Everybody is affected Just like Shankbear says.:(

Phantom Stang
12-31-2005, 03:03 AM
ttt

shadow13
12-31-2005, 01:35 PM
August 21,2004 1:30am, I got arrested for a DWI, while sitting in the holding tank for 6hrs. feeling sorry for myself ,waiting to get bonded out. I realized how lucky I was to have gotten stopped when I did. I sat there for 6 hrs. going over my life and all the things that could have went wrong that night, it really opened my eyes and made me realize ,where I was heading. So on August 23,2004 ,I decided to give it up,the absolute best decision i've ever made.Lucky for me I didn't have to live with the guilt of seriously hurting someone or their family. Just wanted to share my story with the internet world, maybe it will help someone else see the light.

Phantom Stang
12-31-2005, 07:38 PM
That was a gutsy post Shadow.
My hat's off to you, and I mean it!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

3afan
12-31-2005, 07:40 PM
goodonya Shadow :thumbsup:

kaorder1999
12-31-2005, 08:27 PM
i proiemis I weilkl not druoink andas druive. It'asa notr safe. on mwy wawsy to a fdrieeds houase. I'mn goiunf to dreive cause i,m notr dryenk yet

kaorder1999
12-31-2005, 08:31 PM
joke by the way. everyone be safe!

3afan
01-02-2006, 10:28 PM
ttt

Leopards,class of 75
01-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by shadow13
August 21,2004 1:30am, I got arrested for a DWI, while sitting in the holding tank for 6hrs. feeling sorry for myself ,waiting to get bonded out. I realized how lucky I was to have gotten stopped when I did. I sat there for 6 hrs. going over my life and all the things that could have went wrong that night, it really opened my eyes and made me realize ,where I was heading. So on August 23,2004 ,I decided to give it up,the absolute best decision i've ever made.Lucky for me I didn't have to live with the guilt of seriously hurting someone or their family. Just wanted to share my story with the internet world, maybe it will help someone else see the light. Great post shadow! My cousin wished this was all that happened to him about 3 years ago. I posted this story about my cousin in the early part of this post. again, thanks for sharing your story!!!

3afan
01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
back to page one

3afan
01-06-2006, 04:47 PM
for the weekend ... ttt

3afan
02-19-2006, 07:09 AM
ttt

one post LewP started that is worth bringing up once in a while just as a reminder

lostaussie
02-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
ttt

one post LewP started that is worth bringing up once in a while just as a reminder man, i thought he was back:D