PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Celina Or an SLC?

Bullaholic
12-16-2005, 05:10 PM
I think we all know a lot of the factors that have to be present to make a program like a Celina or an SLC, but why have they been able to sustain their level of excellence in football above just about any other programs for so long a period of time? What makes them unique? Seems like other programs could "copy" them---can there really be that many "secrets"?. It would seem that somebody somewhere would begin to obtain similar results at some point in time.

TheDOCTORdre
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
the grace of God makes a Celina and/or a SLC

Bullaholic
12-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
the grace of God makes a Celina and/or a SLC

I've got to say I was expecting many and varied responses, Dre, but "devine intervention" was not one of em'. But you know...you are correct--we are all subject to the Lord's will in anything we do.

HighSchool Fan
12-16-2005, 05:19 PM
they have high dollar recruiting departments :D

pirate4state
12-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
they have high dollar recruiting departments :D :D :clap: :D leave it to you!!! :cool:

Bullaholic
12-16-2005, 05:31 PM
they have high dollar recruiting departments :D

I've heard those "rumors" for a lot of years, too, HSF---but you would think that if it was truly going on flagrantly that it would be discovered and revealed after this many years.

LewP
12-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think we all know a lot of the factors that have to be present to make a program like a Celina or an SLC, but why have they been able to sustain their level of excellence in football above just about any other programs for so long a period of time? What makes them unique? Seems like other programs could "copy" them---can there really be that many "secrets"?. It would seem that somebody somewhere would begin to obtain similar results at some point in time.

Hey Bull, how's it going.....??

Let's talk about SLC for a moment.
Let's say you work in Bridgeport for example....you have a kid in Junior high that shows some serious promise as an athlete. Wouldn't the thought come to your m ind to buy a home in Southlake and commute to Bridgeport to work if you thought your son could play for Todd Dodge?

I bet that is one of the big reasons the Dragons can re-stock year after year....there is a fountain of players to pool from. I heard Todd Dodge this morning on the Ticket (www.theticket.com) and the question was asked if SLC would ever drop to 4A...he just laughed and said no way...that plenty of folks want to live in Southlake.
I don't think that will ever change.

http://blogs.scripps.com/abil/Sweetwater/Pony1.jpg

rockdale80
12-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by LewP

Let's say you work in Bridgeport for example....you have a kid in Junior high that shows some serious promise as an athlete. Wouldn't the thought come to your m ind to buy a home in Southlake and commute to Bridgeport to work if you thought your son could play for Todd Dodge?

I bet that is one of the big reasons the Dragons can re-stock year after year....there is a fountain of players to pool from. I heard Todd Dodge this morning on the Ticket (www.theticket.com) and the question was asked if SLC would ever drop to 4A...he just laughed and said no way...that plenty of folks want to live in Southlake.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

LewP
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bullaholic
12-16-2005, 05:47 PM

Well, that would be possible, Lew, if the average house in Southlake didn't cost 300k+ and at least 175k anywhere in the ISD. Rent is not cheap either.

turbostud
12-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Good coaching.

donjuan
12-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Great facilities. Mostly white. Community support. Lots of kids to pick from every year.

PPHSfan
12-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Mostly TOTAL community support.

You can't get a pizza delivered on a Friday night in Celina.

Go thru Celina when the Bobcats are playing on the road sometime.

You can loot the entire town and nobody will be there to stop you.:D

Hupernikomen
12-16-2005, 07:11 PM
LaMarque and Stephenville could be added to your list as could others in different decades. There always seems to be a dominant team or two for a few years. The pendulum will shift soon enough toward somewhere else. The common demoninator in all these towns are great athletes, coaching and fan support, in other words they just have it going on in all respects.

mustang04
12-16-2005, 07:41 PM
STEROIDS

seriously, no to be dissing on those two teams, cuz they ARE awesome...BUT, one of my best friends moved away from sweetwater our freshman year, and he moved to Celina, and he said he couldnt even compete w/ alot of the guys there for football (and my friend was pretty dang good himself) and he said that alot of his buds on the team took steroids and they even showed them to him...so after he told me that, i really dont have much room for respect for those teams

rockdale80
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
So far we have white, steroid junky, recruited kids. Wow!

VWG
12-16-2005, 08:06 PM
If you look at how many kids they have that go out for football, they get to choose from the best of the best.
Celina is a large 2A school, SLC is an average 5A school in enrollment..... but whenever you have a high percentage of the student body turn out for football you're gonna have a good shot at getting good athletes.
You're forgetting to add places like Aledo, Abilene Wylie, Windthorst (1A), etc......

turbostud
12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
STEROIDS

seriously, no to be dissing on those two teams, cuz they ARE awesome...BUT, one of my best friends moved away from sweetwater our freshman year, and he moved to Celina, and he said he couldnt even compete w/ alot of the guys there for football (and my friend was pretty dang good himself) and he said that alot of his buds on the team took steroids and they even showed them to him...so after he told me that, i really dont have much room for respect for those teams

I know the Asst. Superintendent at Celina and I seriously doubt that Celina athletes would be taking steriods on his watch.

lostaussie
12-16-2005, 08:43 PM
STEROIDS

seriously, no to be dissing on those two teams, cuz they ARE awesome...BUT, one of my best friends moved away from sweetwater our freshman year, and he moved to Celina, and he said he couldnt even compete w/ alot of the guys there for football (and my friend was pretty dang good himself) and he said that alot of his buds on the team took steroids and they even showed them to him...so after he told me that, i really dont have much room for respect for those teams those are pretty strong words, not to be backed up by facts!!!!!!!!!!!!

LewP
12-16-2005, 08:47 PM
STEROIDS

Stang,

Apparantley...Rockdale is gonna slam any post from any Sweetwater fan....Maybe he's really from Snyder..LOL

rockdale80
12-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Stang,

Apparantley...Rockdale is gonna slam any post from any Sweetwater fan....Maybe he's really from Snyder..LOL

That wasn't a slam on anyone. So are you going to follow up all of my posts with poor assumptions? Or are you going to come up with something original to add to the board that makes sense?

HighSchool Fan
12-16-2005, 09:00 PM
STEROIDS

sounds like he is making excuses since he couldn't cut it in Celina.

lostaussie
12-16-2005, 09:02 PM
sounds like he is making excuses since he couldn't cut it in Celina. exactly what i was thinking!!!!!!!!!!

rockdale80
12-16-2005, 09:02 PM

Don't say anything to anyone from Sweetwater or you are really from Snyder and slam Sweetwater. :rolleyes:

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by VWG
If you look at how many kids they have that go out for football, they get to choose from the best of the best.
Celina is a large 2A school, SLC is an average 5A school in enrollment..... but whenever you have a high percentage of the student body turn out for football you're gonna have a good shot at getting good athletes.
You're forgetting to add places like Aledo, Abilene Wylie, Windthorst (1A), etc......

i think this is the best reason we got...i mean i watch wylie alot cause i went there and havent seen slc or celina much...but i do know we have more kids on that sideline then most 4a schools and even some 5a...we have alot of kids that come out to play football because of great tradition and coaches...good people attract others twords them and i think these programs have some of the best people runnin the system

HighSchool Fan
12-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Don't say anything to anyone from Sweetwater or you are really from Snyder and slam Sweetwater. :rolleyes:

i beginning to see that

mustang04
12-16-2005, 10:09 PM

he had no reason to lie about steroids...he was best friends w/ the guys that took them, he was a great athlete and wasnt known to be a liar, i believe his words over people like yall who probly have no connection with anyone from celina (like any of them would admit to it anyways) like i said, im not dissing celina, you can have a GREAT coach and good players when ur around the metroplex, but steroids can DEFINITELY make you more of a powerhouse if you use them

another thing....lostaussie...why would i care if they used them or not, we never played them and lost to them, so its not like im making excuses, im proud of Texas boasting teams like Celina and south lake carroll, but appearantly several ppl on here are too NAIVE to understand the number of highschool atletes using steroids these days

whatdoiknow?
12-16-2005, 10:39 PM
So Mustang04, is that to say some of your teammates at Sweetwater used steroids? If that is where you played high school football and you seem to know so much, isn't reasonable to assume that is where you get your information? I doubt anyone from another team would let you in on a secret like that. I don't think SLC and Celina's success is because of steroids. I would never accuse kid's of using without solid proof. I especially would not accuse someone based on a 15 year old kid's word that couldn't make the team. SLC and Celina are great towns with great kids and great football teams with outstanding coaches and facilities. Sounds like someone out west is getting a little jealous.

KTJ
12-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Well Celina had problems in 3A whereas Southlake didn't skip a beat in 3A, 4A, and now 5A. Couple that with the fact that the passion for the sport starts in the junior highs whereas some schools don't give a rats bohiney about the junior high system and there you go.

Also, Southlake residents have repeatedly said "NO!" to building a 2nd high school. They are kinda landlocked so they can keep all the talent in one place. Other schools can't.

Also, Southlake residents have the money to pay for their kids to get one-on-one training and go to tons of camps. Inner city kids don't have that choice/option. (had a former coach from Southlake now here in the Austin area tell me that.) He said that is why they are so good a pretty much everything. When the pro-teams and pro-players who live in Dallas, Southlake, Colleyville, etc. come to use YOUR facilities instead of the teams', you know you've got it made.

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by whatdoiknow?
So Mustang04, is that to say some of your teammates at Sweetwater used steroids? If that is where you played high school football and you seem to know so much, isn't reasonable to assume that is where you get your information? I doubt anyone from another team would let you in on a secret like that. I don't think SLC and Celina's success is because of steroids. I would never accuse kid's of using without solid proof. I especially would not accuse someone based on a 15 year old kid's word that couldn't make the team. SLC and Celina are great towns with great kids and great football teams with outstanding coaches and facilities. Sounds like someone out west is getting a little jealous.

you again...whats with the out west comment???? not needed..yet again

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Well Celina had problems in 3A whereas Southlake didn't skip a beat in 3A, 4A, and now 5A. Couple that with the fact that the passion for the sport starts in the junior highs whereas some schools don't give a rats bohiney about the junior high system and there you go.

Also, Southlake residents have repeatedly said "NO!" to building a 2nd high school. They are kinda landlocked so they can keep all the talent in one place. Other schools can't.

Also, Southlake residents have the money to pay for their kids to get one-on-one training and go to tons of camps. Inner city kids don't have that choice/option. (had a former coach from Southlake now here in the Austin area tell me that.) He said that is why they are so good a pretty much everything. When the pro-teams and pro-players who live in Dallas, Southlake, Colleyville, etc. come to use YOUR facilities instead of the teams', you know you've got it made.

that is true..they do have the money to help with the areas talent!

whatdoiknow?
12-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I was specifically referring to Sweetwater. Once again, any time a poster says anything about Sweetwater, they jump on 'em with both feet. To accuse other towns of using steroids is just plain wrong.

mustang04
12-16-2005, 10:54 PM

hey..read what i said...he MOVED from here to THERE, it wasnt like he was a celina bobcat middleschool thru highschool, he moved there, and told me what was up

mustang04
12-16-2005, 10:57 PM
I was specifically referring to Sweetwater. Once again, any time a poster says anything about Sweetwater, they jump on 'em with both feet. To accuse other towns of using steroids is just plain wrong.

and to seriously believe they dont is just plain NAIVE, u wanna know how easy i could drive to dallas and get steroids RIGHT NOW if i wanted to????? i know ppl at ASU who uses thm and one of them played for one of the teams in the metroplex, you must be really ignorant to think that theres no way a team can be on steroids...of theyre just highschool kids, they are SOOOO innocent, hahah YEAH RIGHT!:clap:

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 10:59 PM
go reggie go reggie go...go reggie go reggie go! haha

whatdoiknow?
12-16-2005, 11:00 PM
I know what you said....you also said people on here were too naive about the number of high school players using. That sounds like you are talking about more than just Celina to me. another thing, do you really think Coach Dodge and Caoch Ford would risk their career by allowing this to happen? I know how touchy coaches are about this subject and the coaches I know watch very closely for any sign of steroids.

whatdoiknow?
12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Another Sweetwater poster calling someone ignorant. The only thing ignorant is for some snot nosed kid to accuse someone of taking steroids without proof.

mustang04
12-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I know what you said....you also said people on here were too naive about the number of high school players using. That sounds like you are talking about more than just Celina to me. another thing, do you really think Coach Dodge and Caoch Ford would risk their career by allowing this to happen? I know how touchy coaches are about this subject and the coaches I know watch very closely for any sign of steroids. HA! and where the HELL did i ever say the coaches are supplying the players w/ the steroids??? pleeeeez show me, ill tell u one thing, if i was to have used roids in highschool, i DEFINITELY wouldnt have told my coach..he prolly woukldnt have let me played, i cant believe whenever someone talks about another team using steroids, you think that the coaches are the ones giving the steroids out like they used to do w/ deodorant in our locker room hehe, but amyways, players get steroids and use them and the coaches will have noooo clue

i remember my senior year when we got whooped by andrews and they were top ten 4A, we kne that to have been on something cuz u could just tell by the way they were on the field, and sure anough a couple of weeks later, like 6 players were caught using cocaine before the games and have been doing it for weeks...oh wait, they beat us, ur right, im just jealous cuz they won, NO WAY they could be abusing any substance.....sheesh wake up and smell the coffee

mustang04
12-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Another Sweetwater poster calling someone ignorant. The only thing ignorant is for some snot nosed kid to accuse someone of taking steroids without proof.

thats why an accusation....who said someone had to have proof TO accuse someone...now to punish them u need proof, but accusations can occur w/ out solid evidnce, thats when it is investigated, leading to prosecution

ur name fits u perfectly "whatdoiknow" EXACTLY, from what i can tell NOTHING

mustang04
12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
bottom line...kudos to those 2 teams, they are awesome and i really HOPE that they dont have steroid users...but for either of us to win the argument, every player would have to be tested, but since that doesnt happen, dont u think it would be easy for a kid to use steroids and get away with it??

mustang04
12-16-2005, 11:45 PM
some snot nosed kid well for ur information..IT IS my allergy season...and plus my nose is stuffy w/ boogers, not runny w/ snot:D :D

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 11:46 PM
well for ur information..IT IS my allergy season...and plus my nose is stuffy w/ boogers, not runny w/ snot:D :D

mine has been runny lately...i think its cause i have been sick...i dunno i might be a youngster too so thats why i have a runny nose...just dont know

mustang04
12-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
mine has been runny lately...i think its cause i have been sick...i dunno i might be a youngster too so thats why i have a runny nose...just dont know

i guess being a teenager corresponds w/ runny noses....holy crap whatdoiknow, ur a FREAKIN GENIUS!!! that is the best theory i have ever heard, and better yet, i know the cure...turn 20 and u will no longer be snot nosed!!!! wow i am enlightened!!!:D

3 MORE MONTHS & ILL BE 20!!!!!! YAYYYY ME!!!!:clap: :clap:

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 11:50 PM
i guess being a teenager corresponds w/ runny noses....holy crap whatdoiknow, ur a FREAKIN GENIUS!!! that is the best theory i have ever heard, and better yet, i know the cure...turn 20 and u will no longer be snot nosed!!!! wow i am enlightened!!!:D

i think clariton and allegra might go out of business now that we found the cure for the runny nose syndrome....uh ohhh:eek:

mustang04
12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
i think clariton and allegra might go out of business now that we found the cure for the runny nose syndrome....uh ohhh:eek:

hurry...lets call the patent office before whatdoiknow gets a chance.........:D

mustang04
12-16-2005, 11:54 PM
dang...ive heard the saying "paint the town red" ...i guess in my case w/ my red sig...im painting the thread red!!!:D

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 11:55 PM
hahaha...i love christmas colors!!

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Well, this certainly went south. I guess I should've read it before now. :(