PDA

View Full Version : Tatum-Hutto story, Tyler paper

3afan
12-16-2005, 04:18 PM
LINK (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15765686&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=374749&rfi=6)

SUPPORT POURING IN AS TATUM SHOOTS FOR TITLE
By: SHANE STARK, Staff Writer -- 12/15/2005

Tatum head coach Andy Evans visited with the band, drill team and cheerleading squad this week - his attempt to remind everyone of their importance to the football team.

"They are playing as important a role in this as anybody," Evans said. "It's a total team effort, from our teachers to our administrators to our kids."

All have factored, Evans believes, in Tatum reaching its second state final in school history. Evans hopes they help Tatum (14-0) win it all Saturday, when the Eagles meet Hutto (13-2) in the Class 3A Division II final at 6 p.m. at Texas Stadium.

"I think everybody is really excited about it," Evans said.

Tatum's first appearance in the finals occurred in 1996. That title bid fell short by nine points against state power Sealy, which captured four straight championships during the 90s.

At least one Web site has placed the Eagles in the underdog role this week. Texasfootballratings.com, which picks games weekly, has Hutto favored by two points after knocking off the state's No. 1 and No. 3 teams during the past two weeks.

Evans said fourth-ranked Tatum hasn't paid much attention.

"I don't know if our kids know who was ranked No. 1," Evans said. "They know the three games we've got on film (about Hutto)."

Tatum reached the final with a 32-19 win against Sweetwater last week. The Eagles needed a trademark second half to capture the victory, giving itself breathing room with a 12-0 advantage in the third quarter to break a halftime tie.

That came with Evans having already found peace of mind after stressing through much of the regular season.

"This has been all about faith with me," Evans said. "I just turned all this over to God about seven or eight weeks ago ... If we win, we win. If we don't, we don't. I pray for the kids, the fans, the officials and the whole nine yards."

This week, Evans said, the Eagles have treated like any other during the season. It's been somewhat busier, however, for Evans.

He said he's still hasn't fully recovered from getting only three hours of sleep Saturday night - he and his staff traveled to trade film with Hutto after the win. Helping keep his energy up have been phone calls of support from friends, family and fellow coaches - combined with adrenaline. Among the coaches he's heard from consistently has been Jeff Traylor, who last season guided Gilmer to the very title Tatum will vie for Saturday.

"I've gotten a lot of phone calls; a lot from players who have played for me in the past," Evans said. "Every one of them means a bunch to me."

Shane Stark covers sports. He can be reached at 903.596.6293. e-mail: sports@tylerpaper.com

Aesculus gilmus
12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Jeff Traylor wants to be coaching again in that state title game so badly he can taste it.

If he and the Tatum coach have a good rapport, that probably means Evans is a class act as well.

Tatum and Gilmer shared a common opponent this season of which this cannot be so easily said.