PDA

View Full Version : Basketball suggestions

Go Cuero
12-16-2005, 11:47 AM
I know this isn't about 3A football but it is about a sport so please don't slaughter me w/mean posts. I volunteered to be an asst. coach for my son's basketball team w/the Y. Well now I'm the head coach and my asst. coach knows nothing. We had our coach's meeting this week and went over the rules but I'm still wonder what exactly can you do w/5 yr olds? I figured we would practice on dribbling and show them man to man defense, learn some warm up exercises and try and work on passing. The rules are no zone defense, no back court violations, no fast breaks, no time violations, no steals on dribbles but you can steal on passing, fouls are called but no player will be fouled out, traveling will be called but only if the offensive player gains advantage. So what else can I teach them really? I can show them what is traveling and that they have to dribble the ball LOL can't you just see a 5 yr old running all the way down w/the ball in their hands and trying to shoot!! I played basketball all through jr high and high school but I've been out of high school for....well almost 15 years. I know I'm old so don't laugh. But does anyone have anyother suggestions other than having them run horses LOL? I think maybe I'll have to scout another teams practice to get some ideas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

kaorder1999
12-16-2005, 11:50 AM
defense will win games! HEHE

Johnny Utah
12-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Teach them how to dribble with either hand. How to shoot, correctly. How to pass, and how to get open to receive a pass. And, once they pass, how to "basket cut" to receive the return pass. Most importantly how to play TEAM ball and how to play good man to man D!!!! Just an opinion.

44INAROW
12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Most importantly how to play TEAM ball and how to play good man to man D!!!!

Team Ball,, there is a concept I wish a few more would learn.....

raider red 2000
12-16-2005, 12:53 PM
the most important thing for them is to have fun.....the kids need to have a good experience.

i would give them all equal time.....good or bad.

dont listen to the parents when they complain....parents will moan and groan about all sorts of stuff.

as far as skills....dribbling....passing (bounce and chest) and defense.

also for fun, might want to get them to do some dribbling/ ball handling skills each day.

we had a routine that could be modified.....dribble rt hand 8 times, then left hand 8 times. move ball around waist 5 times each way. 5 figure eights between legs. we did drops and skips, but that might be a lil much for them.

just make it fun.

District303aPastPlayer
12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
just let em have fun. . . i suggest emphasizing the pass and the close range shots :)

LH Panther Mom
12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Teach them how to dribble with either hand. How to shoot, correctly. How to pass, and how to get open to receive a pass. And, once they pass, how to "basket cut" to receive the return pass. Most importantly how to play TEAM ball and how to play good man to man D!!!! Just an opinion.
At the 5 year old level, this is what it's all about. :)

And yes, I have seen kids run down the court carrying the ball the whole way. Kudos to you for volunteering.

Go Cuero
12-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

They all have to play 4 mins in each 8 min quarter so hopefully we won't get parents complaining. I'm sure someone will about something though.

We have 10 players and I'm sure I'm going to be the biggest kid out there!! I love watching them have fun so teaching them will be just as fun too.

Thanks again!!:)

3afan
12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Go Cuero

Thanks for any suggestions.

alchohol ... in moderation of course .....

DaHop72
12-16-2005, 01:45 PM
I coach 8-10 year old boys and one of the biggest things to take with you is patience. And always remember in your case that they are only 5 years old and will probably wake up in a different world everyday, I know mine do. But you will find it is a very rewarding job and the boys will love you.

Buccaneer
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
How high are the rims for 5yr olds?

HillBoy
12-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Get them all in the paint then tell them whoever rebounds it wins. That was one of our drills in pee wee teach them to rebound. And when your a kid it seems fun cuz everyone is wrestling over the ball. Really defense is the most important thing your goin to have some kids that can just automatically do the offensive stuff.

Cameron Crazy
12-16-2005, 02:47 PM
good luck buddy assistand coachs dont know how to coach they are just there to bail you out of trouble

eagles_victory
12-16-2005, 03:12 PM
If you can play good man to man defense you have a chance to win every game you play.

SINTON81
12-16-2005, 03:16 PM

And if they can't get all that down teach them to tackle the guy with the ball. Might as well get them started early at football. It can never hurt.:D :D

mac77
12-16-2005, 04:35 PM
As a high school basketball coach,my advice is don't let him play in a league where the rules are so watered down. I know he's only five but if you teach him early, you down have to change him later!

Go Cuero
12-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
How high are the rims for 5yr olds?

The rims are 7 ft and they are using a junior size ball.

"And if they can't get all that down teach them to tackle the guy with the ball. Might as well get them started early at football. It
can never hurt. " posted by SINTON

It's funny you say that...when my son started soccer at 4 he literally tackled the other team's player who had the ball. I had to pull him aside and tell him...look it's not football. You'll play football in the fall. This is soccer. We kick the ball and we don't tackle!! LOL

I also wanted to say that score is not kept at any age or grade all the way through the 10th grade at this YMCA on all their sports. My son played soccer w/another organization and they didn't keep score either. But of course us moms did. Anyway, is that the norm in your area? I remember growing up we kept score and it didn't traumatize me or teach me the wrong lesson. I guess I'm just asking when do we stop holding their hands? To me teaching them that everything is ok and not letting them learn that you are going to loose sometimes and how to be a good sport about loosing and winning as well is a lesson that should be taught also. I would have thought that at least by jr high they would start keeping score. So I'm just rambling but I am curious what they do in other areas. I'm in a suburb of North Austin btw.