PDA

View Full Version : So how do the Mustangs fare in 2006?

LewP
12-16-2005, 10:46 AM
OK, the other thread got closed...

I was wanting to ask how folks feel the Sweetwater Mustangs will do next season? I think they going all the way!

jmcgee
12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by LewP
OK, the other thread got closed...

I was wanting to ask how folks feel the Sweetwater Mustangs will do next season? I think they going all the way! Same here LewP Lost a couple o good players. But still have a lot of good players commin back.

its_n_ D_water
12-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Depends on whos coaching next year...j/k.....Well alot of talent coming back ....I think it will be another deep run in the playoffs

Sweetwater Red
12-16-2005, 11:01 AM
I think the size of the kids on the O and D lines will make
the difference one way or the other. Pecos, Clyde, Iowa Park, and
Tatum all hurt us with big lines.

LH Panther Mom
12-16-2005, 11:24 AM
They will either lose to Liberty Hill in the D2 championship game or not quite make it that far. :D ;)

vet93
12-16-2005, 12:27 PM
I agree...I thought that the major weakness for the Mustangs was not being quite physical enough up front. Size isn't everything but it sure helps when you have some mashers up front.

Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I think the size of the kids on the O and D lines will make
the difference one way or the other. Pecos, Clyde, Iowa Park, and
Tatum all hurt us with big lines.

STANG RED
12-16-2005, 12:45 PM
If everybody comes back and plays that should, and like they should, and with a few good ones coming up to fill holes, we should be as good next year as we were this year. Maybe even a little better. If so, we have a shot of going all the way. Luck, good or bad, will always have some impact as well though.

S-WtrMustangFan
12-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by its_n_ D_water
Depends on whos coaching next year...j/k.....Well alot of talent coming back ....I think it will be another deep run in the playoffs Deep run will be all we will have.Lord knows we won't have a passing game unless we get a new coach.

Black & Gold
12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Skye isn't coming back, or is that just wishful thinking for those that play Sweetwater?

STANG RED
12-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Black & Gold
Is there any truth to the rumor that Skye isn't coming back, or is that just wishful thinking for those that play Sweetwater?
Who knows? Even he probably doesnt really even know for sure at this point. He is a teenager!!!
Having the coaches not fight very hard to get him on the all district team probably doesnt help matters much though.
His real future is in track probably any way. A football leg injury could ruin that for him pretty easily.
Personaly, I sure hope he comes back and plays, but I could certainly understand if he doesnt.
If he doesnt, I think it will be hard for him to just watch from the stands!

mustang68
12-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by S-WtrMustangFan
Deep run will be all we will have.Lord knows we won't have a passing game unless we get a new coach.

What about a quarterback capable of passing? That would be novel. It takes several ingredients to pass the ball well. We have not had those for several years. Go watch Tech if you want passing.

ftrmustangmom
12-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Deep run will be all we will have.Lord knows we won't have a passing game unless we get a new coach.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

jmcgee
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
I think he will be back. he can hurt his leg just as fast in track as he can in football. Look at Willie amos. He played football for Nebraska. He didnt hurt his leg playing football I think it was on the track.

STANG RED
12-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jmcgee
I think he will be back. he can hurt his leg just as fast in track as he can in football. Look at Willie amos. He played football for Nebraska. He didnt hurt his leg playing football I think it was on the track.
Sorry, but that is rediculus!
I've never seen a 300 lb. lineman take out an ACL at a track meet. I dont believe I have ever seen a 140 lb kid get gang tackled by 3 or 4 200+lb lineman and linebackers at a track meet either. I have been to many track meets, and I have never seen a kid plant his foot to make a cut and have it creamed from the side. About the worst injury you can get at a track meet is a pulled hamstring, which is no picnic, but it usually doesnt require major reconstruction surgury.

jmcgee
12-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Sorry, but that is rediculus!
I've never seen a 300 lb. lineman take out an ACL at a track meet. I dont believe I have ever seen a 140 lb kid get gang tackled by 3 or 4 200+lb lineman and linebackers at a track meet either. I have been to many track meets, and I have never seen a kid plant his foot to make a cut and have it creamed from the side. About the worst injury you can get at a track meet is a pulled hamstring, which is no picnic, but it usually doesnt require major reconstruction surgury. N/M

jmcgee
12-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Raise your hand if you have ever seen a guy running track blow his knee out. It can happen the likely hood of it happening isnt as great as if they were playing football. but it can happen. Thats alll that statement was about. That he can hurt his leg any where. And I think he'll be back cause he wants to play next year. just my opinion.

vet93
12-16-2005, 02:46 PM
There are two ways to blow an ACL. The first is torque applied to the joint while pushing off...this is where you see both football and track injuries occur to the ligament. The second way is when external force is applied to the knee joint (most common) which is almost exclusive to a contact sport such as football. Therefore, while track injuries occur to the ACL, it is much more common to see this type of injury on the football field.

S-WtrMustangFan
12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
What about a quarterback capable of passing? That would be novel. It takes several ingredients to pass the ball well. We have not had those for several years. Go watch Tech if you want passing.
Thomas Holsey the JV QB has a great arm and can hit his target.Not only can he throw but he's fast too.

vet93
12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
May see some of that quadruple option stuff from the Mustangs next year!

Thomas Holsey the JV QB has a great arm and can hit his target.Not only can he throw but he's fast too.

Black_Magic
12-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Thomas Holsey the JV QB has a great arm and can hit his target.Not only can he throw but he's fast too. Yes but he is ineligable for varsity ball though . he lives with his aunt and uncle... UIL doesnt allow for this kid to play varsity ball living with his aunt while his father and mother live elswhere....

WTF-82
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
I agree Thomas Holsey is a player great arm and skill. Coached him when he was younger he is a player.

S-WtrMustangFan
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by vet93
May see some of that quadruple option stuff from the Mustangs next year! Would like to see something different.I think we only had like 5 off. plays in our playbook.

vet93
12-16-2005, 03:10 PM
When Jim Wacker was at TCU they used to have alot of success with the quadruple option 1)Dive to the fullback 2) Pitch to the running back 3) quarterback keep 4) drop back with quick 3 step drop and fire a quick hitting pass. With the right players and a smart quarterback...it could really be hard to stop. Also, Sweetwater had multiple formations that they could have passed out of this year....it is pretty easy to break the bone and motion one of the running backs or move one to a slot reciever. Skye Green would be a great slot reciever....maybe utililize him like Sandifer utilizes Edwards at Wylie...Just some random thoughts!

Would like to see something different.I think we only had like 5 off. plays in our playbook.

its_n_ D_water
12-16-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm not positive ,but I think he didnt play on varisty this year because he wasnt eligable. I think he will be eligable next season..

Black_Magic
12-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by its_n_ D_water
I'm not positive ,but I think he didnt play on varisty this year because he wasnt eligable. I think he will be eligable next season.. So I guess his parents are going to move to sweetwater so he will be eligible? wow.

S-WtrMustangFan
12-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
So I guess his parents are going to move to sweetwater so he will be eligible? wow. He had to live in Sweetwater for at least a year.His Dad has lived here the whole time.But his Dad and Mom never married.So thats why he was'nt eligable.He's all clear for next year.So look out there Blackie theres a new Mustang in town.

LewP
12-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
So I guess his parents are going to move to sweetwater so he will be eligible? wow.

Black Magic...I guess after ya'lls Dee Walker story.... I don't think Snyder should cast any stones here.

LewP
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
ttt

http://blogs.scripps.com/abil/Sweetwater/Pony1.jpg

WestTXLonghorn
12-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Man. . .if somehow S'Water could get to at least maybe a 70/30 run/pass mix kinda like Wylie. . .damn. They'd be near unstoppable. You'd have to worry about stopping 2 of the fastest kids in the state AND worry about them going over the top on you.

LewP
12-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Man. . .if somehow S'Water could get to at least maybe a 70/30 run/pass mix kinda like Wylie. . .damn. They'd be near unstoppable. You'd have to worry about stopping 2 of the fastest kids in the state AND worry about them going over the top on you.

Don't be surprised if that does indeed happen Longhorn!
I'm looking forward to the new QB coming in.

sww-bull52
12-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Holsey will play Varsity next year. I also talked to a guy that talked to Skyes' Dad. Skye is skipping Basketball this year and hitting the weights. He is trying to put on some weight and muscle before next year 'cause he is playing next year. Holsey will be eligible and will probably share time with Cunnings at QB. I've seen this kid put moves on people that left them holding their own jocks. He can hit a moving target on the run also.

LewP
12-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
Holsey will play Varsity next year. I also talked to a guy that talked to Skyes' Dad. Skye is skipping Basketball this year and hitting the weights. He is trying to put on some weight and muscle before next year 'cause he is playing next year. Holsey will be eligible and will probably share time with Cunnings at QB. I've seen this kid put moves on people that left them holding their own jocks. He can hit a moving target on the run also.

That's great news Guy...

James has another year right?

Also...do you think the Mustangs might pass more next year? How awesome would that be if we could get 22 in a passing game????

loboes86
12-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry people a little late, But I disagree with a kid can get hurt running track as quick as he can playing football. My kid still seeing his ortapedic surgeon after last years broken leg from playing freshman football . Looks like he'll have two titanium rods in his leg the rest of his life. He was doing pretty good at the 800 and 1600 meter run still trying to get his leg back. If I was Skye Green's dad knowing what I know now he would'nt be playing another down in football for anybody. As fast as Skye is he stands a better chance at getting a scholarship for track than football.

LewP
12-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Ouch.....

S-WtrMustangFan
12-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
Sorry people a little late, But I disagree with a kid can get hurt running track as quick as he can playing football. My kid still seeing his ortapedic surgeon after last years broken leg from playing freshman football . Looks like he'll have two titanium rods in his leg the rest of his life. He was doing pretty good at the 800 and 1600 meter run still trying to get his leg back. If I was Skye Green's dad knowing what I know now he would'nt be playing another down in football for anybody. As fast as Skye is he stands a better chance at getting a scholarship for track than football. ^^^ Sky's dad please do not read this post ^^^^.

LewP
12-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if in 2006, we could start hitting Skye Green on some out passes out of the backfield?
Can you imagine the yards he could ge that way?

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Sorry people a little late, But I disagree with a kid can get hurt running track as quick as he can playing football. My kid still seeing his ortapedic surgeon after last years broken leg from playing freshman football . Looks like he'll have two titanium rods in his leg the rest of his life. He was doing pretty good at the 800 and 1600 meter run still trying to get his leg back. If I was Skye Green's dad knowing what I know now he would'nt be playing another down in football for anybody. As fast as Skye is he stands a better chance at getting a scholarship for track than football.

dont take this bad please...but i think that you have to let them play the sports they want to play...if God intends for a broken leg there will be one..one way or the other and im terribly sorry that it happened but i think it could ruin an athlete to be limited to one sport in highschool if that is not what they want and need at the time

STANG RED
12-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Befor Carillo & Cunnings both got hurt this year, it looked like we may have been headed that way, but it all went out the window when those two went down and missed most of the district season. I think we actually had 190 or so yds passing the ball in one of the predistrict games if I remember correctly. Maybe the coaches do realize what has to happen, they just have to have someone in there that can do it. Maybe Holsey will be that guy. I sure hope so!

loboes86
12-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Your view is noted and I know that what ever the good Lord has in store for us, thats the way it is.Whsdogs have you got any kids yet ? Because after being in a hospital with a teenage young man that has had something like this happen, your views kind of change. I like watching these young men play football as much as anyone, but when you have a talent such as Skyes I cannot see putting that talent into a sport were he stands a great chance of getting hurt. I'm not saying no one should play football just maybe some should be steared away. And the point is, it's easier to get hurt playing football were you have a bunch of big ol boys trying knock you down, than it is running track were somebody is not trying to run over you.

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Your view is noted and I know that what ever the good Lord has in store for us, thats the way it is. Have you got any kids yet ? Because after being in a hospital with a teenage young man that has had something like this happen, your views kind of change. I like watching these young men play football as much as anyone, but when you have a talent such as Skyes I cannot see putting that talent into a sport were he stands a great chance of getting hurt. I'm not saying no one should play football just maybe some should be steared away.

i cant say i understand where you come from cause i dont...i dont have kids and i dont have room to sit here and tell you what to do of course and please dont think i am trying to..thanks for :noting" my view and i wont attempt to try and tell you how to parent cause thats not my place at all....good luck and best wishes for you and your family...have a
Mery Cristmas!

loboes86
12-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Sorry Whsedogs I didn't mean to get on a soap box. If I offended I apologize. Merry X-mas to you and yours.

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Sorry Whsedogs I didn't mean to get on a soap box. If I offended I apologize. Merry X-mas to you and yours.

haha no no not offended here...just needed to be back in my place lol..its all gravy:)

mustang04
12-16-2005, 10:26 PM
u know...let the kid play what he wants to play...i nearly died in a car wreck my soph year in highschool, and it opened my eyes...you NEVER know what is going to happen, how do u think skye would feel if he DID skip football, then get hurt in track....live life by the day, do what you want to do because you NEVER know whats headed ur way, if skye doesnt want to play, then no i dont think he should be pressured by people saying "but ur SO FAST and a good runningback, we NEED you, then NO he shouldnt play, but if he wants to, i dont think anyone should try talking him out of it, let him do what makes HIM happy!!!

not trying to throw anything towards ya lobo....i see ur point and althought i dont have any kids either, i know people who have gone through very similar situations, have a GREAT Christmas!!!!:)

Whsdogs
12-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
u know...let the kid play what he wants to play...i nearly died in a car wreck my soph year in highschool, and it opened my eyes...you NEVER know what is going to happen, how do u think skye would feel if he DID skip football, then get hurt in track....live life by the day, do what you want to do because you NEVER know whats headed ur way, if skye doesnt want to play, then no i dont think he should be pressured by people saying "but ur SO FAST and a good runningback, we NEED you, then NO he shouldnt play, but if he wants to, i dont think anyone should try talking him out of it, let him do what makes HIM happy!!!

not trying to throw anything towards ya lobo....i see ur point and althought i dont have any kids either, i know people who have gone through very similar situations, have a GREAT Christmas!!!!:)

yah thast pretty much what i was tryin to say but didnt want to come off rude at all...reggie..cant believe you left me here in San Angelo...im so dang bored!!!

shadow13
12-16-2005, 10:45 PM
We have sat and discussed the decision ,to play or not play,and we all agreed to play. We understand and know the negatives that could come out of playing, but the positives ,at this moment outweighs the negatives. That being the brotherly love he has with his teammates ,most of them have played together since peewee football and their goal is to win state.

Again....we are NOT here to air personal vendettas....lhpm

shadow13
12-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by shadow13
We have sat and discussed the decision ,to play or not play,and we all agreed to play. We understand and know the negatives that could come out of playing, but the positives ,at this moment outweighs the negatives. That being the brotherly love he has with his teammates ,most of them have played together since peewee football and their goal is to win state.

Again....we are NOT here to air personal vendettas....lhpm So, let me guess mom , your job now, is to follow me around and edited my post, right! ok I give, no more personal vendettas' toward anyone else , you have my word. SO YOU CAN RELAX, from this moment on ,everything will be nice and clean.

LewP
12-17-2005, 01:39 AM
I hate to say it...but I'm already fired up about next season!!!

I hate to say it cause that's like 8 months from now...Old as I am...I need time to slow down..LOL

8 Months baby....then it's time to rock and roll!!! Mustangs going for state!!!!!!

stxboy05
12-17-2005, 02:43 AM
I think they should go all the way especially wit cunnings at quaterback bcuz now ur lookin at 3 of the fastest kidz
in the state all in the backfield at the sametime. Plus they just have that chemistry together cuz they've been playin together since they were 8 or 9. I thought that if cunnings would have gotten to play some qb in tatum game it would have open the game up a whole lot more, the way he was doing teams before he got hurt i thought he shouldve been playin way more than he was.

shadow13
12-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by stxboy05
I think they should go all the way especially wit cunnings at quaterback bcuz now ur lookin at 3 of the fastest kidz
in the state all in the backfield at the sametime. Plus they just have that chemistry together cuz they've been playin together since they were 8 or 9. I thought that if cunnings would have gotten to play some qb in tatum game it would have open the game up a whole lot more, the way he was doing teams before he got hurt i thought he shouldve been playin way more than he was. I'm not alone , that is so true, but we are , in a better situation for next year ,because it's all true about the Holsey kid ,he is spectacular, the kid can play, it will definately be tough choosing a starting QB next year. I do know personally ,that cunnings can run the heck out of that option in the wishbone. And Holsey is just as good also,but with a deadly accurate arm, Man what potential we have ,if only it all comes together as 1 BIG RED UNIT! THAT WOULD BE SWEET-water

S-WtrMustangFan
12-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm not alone , that is so true, but we are , in a better situation for next year ,because it's all true about the Holsey kid ,he is spectacular, the kid can play, it will definately be tough choosing a starting QB next year. I do know personally ,that cunnings can run the heck out of that option in the wishbone. And Holsey is just as good also,but with a deadly accurate arm, Man what potential we have ,if only it all comes together as 1 BIG RED UNIT! THAT WOULD BE SWEET-water Man we are going to have so much talent.I just hope our coach figures out how to use it all.

S-WtrMustangFan
12-17-2005, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shadow13
[B]We have sat and discussed the decision ,to play or not play,and we all agreed to play. We understand and know the negatives that could come out of playing, but the positives ,at this moment outweighs the negatives. That being the brotherly love he has with his teammates ,most of them have played together since peewee football and their goal is to win state.
Thank's Marv for clearing that up.I feel so much better now.

LewP
12-17-2005, 07:29 PM
I

oh well
12-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Not sure the kid that does not live with his legal garden will be eligible not trying to cause trouble just stating a UIL rule the rule of setting out a year is no longer. Need to check on that one.

LewP
12-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by oh well
Not sure the kid that does not live with his legal garden will be eligible not trying to cause trouble just stating a UIL rule the rule of setting out a year is no longer. Need to check on that one.

What are you talking about?

oh well
12-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Did not want ot say his name but you must live with your legal Parent to Play the set out a year and be eligible is gone

LewP
12-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Did not want ot say his name but you must live with your legal Parent to Play the set out a year and be eligible is gone

Fella, I have no idea what you are talking about...you might want to lay off the sauce...

oh well
12-17-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm not alone , that is so true, but we are , in a better situation for next year ,because it's all true about the Holsey kid ,he is spectacular, the kid can play, it will definately be tough choosing a starting QB next year. I do know personally ,that cunnings can run the heck out of that option in the wishbone. And Holsey is just as good also,but with a deadly accurate arm, Man what potential we have ,if only it all comes together as 1 BIG RED UNIT! THAT WOULD BE SWEET-water

Did this kid not play on the JV no sauce here

LewP
12-17-2005, 09:51 PM
I have no idea.....that's so far down the road...I can't even think about it

oh well
12-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Are you on the sauce?

LewP
12-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Yeah..want some?

mulefan
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
does any one know is the wylie coach leaving?

oh well
12-17-2005, 09:56 PM
are you kidding no way what would be better for him

oh well
12-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Lew thanks for the offer if i was in Ft worth maybe

S-WtrMustangFan
12-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Did this kid not play on the JV no sauce here He was starting QB for the JV.

LewP
12-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah...I know...I was trying to do my civic duty and change the subject...but I guess I'm at fault for it.

oh well
12-17-2005, 10:58 PM
no the fault was the sauce:D