PDA

View Full Version : What makes a superior coach?

mustang68
12-16-2005, 09:06 AM
There has been a great deal of discussion of late concerning the ability of certain coaches.
Help me out, all you saturday morning coaches;
what makes a great coach?

BlueBlood
12-16-2005, 09:10 AM
First and foremost, he must play everybody on the team (and he can't cut any) the entire game. Secondly, he has to win every game. I think that about covers it.

mustang68
12-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by BlueBlood
First and foremost, he must play everybody on the team (and he can't cut any) the entire game. Secondly, he has to win every game. I think that about covers it.
Does he have to win state every year or just every other?

DaHop72
12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by mustang68
Does he have to win state every year or just every other?
Well, for him to be superior I would think it would be a must that he win it every year.:D

mustang68
12-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Well, for him to be superior I would think it would be a must that he win it every year.:D
What word do we use then? Superior Good Successful

Bearkat
12-16-2005, 09:35 AM
There has been a great deal of discussion of late concerning the ability of certain coaches.

Great athletes who are "coachable". A large budget and a heck of a booster club. PARENTS and a community who will back his decisions and the team. There can be no parents who tell their kids that the coach doesn't know what he's talking about. Yes, this goes on in every high school program. That's all you need to make a "great" coach.

cowboyfan8
12-16-2005, 09:35 AM
For those that actually coach, we worry about kids not parents. When you let parents dictate anything, you won't be successful. If you treat kids right and coach and teach to the best of your ability, and still get fired or "nonrenewed", or reassigned, then that place is not right for you or your family.

hutex04
12-16-2005, 10:06 AM
hmmm. Someone that has the full support of the community and has respect from his players. If you have that, the wins will come.

ftrmustangmom
12-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by cowboyfan8
For those that actually coach, we worry about kids not parents. When you let parents dictate anything, you won't be successful. If you treat kids right and coach and teach to the best of your ability, and still get fired or "nonrenewed", or reassigned, then that place is not right for you or your family.

Agreed. However, it is hard to listen to a parent rant and rave about how you are not playing their child enough or in the wrong place and just let it roll off your back. I think no matter where you are at, you will not make everyone happy. Like I have said before it is easy to coach from the stands.

I think what makes a good coach is one who cares about the kids, has good morals, and has a disciplined program.

LH Panther Mom
12-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Does a coach actually have to be superior to be successful? And is winning a state championship the only means to define "superior" or even successful?

IMO, a successful coach needs to make the best use of the kids he has to work with, whether they be great athletes or not. One of the most important things (again mo) is to take those kids, teach them to work as a TEAM and to depend upon each other. These are 14-18 year old teenage hormonal :eek: boys that coaches are working with.

I'm no armchair coach. And from what I know about the coaching profession and all the crap coaches have to put up with, it's not a job I'd want. To all the men and women who choose to do this, you have my utmost respect.

Sweetwater Red
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
KTXS interviewed coacn Jackson. This is not a direct quote. He
said, these kids are hurting. We(the coaching staff) are here to
teach these kids life skills and that is far more important than
sporting events or wins and losses. That sounds like something
a superior coach would say.

mustang68
12-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
KTXS interviewed coacn Jackson. This is not a direct qoute. He
said, these kids are hurting. We(the coaching staff) are he to
teach these kids life skills and that is far more important than
sporting events or wins and losses. That sounds like something
a superior coach would say.

I could not agree more. Wins are great, but developing young men and women is most important. MHO

Bearkat
12-16-2005, 10:48 AM
I could not agree more. Wins are great, but developing young men and women is most important. MHO

I totally agree with you. I just wish a coaches job depended on the development of young men and women, instead of wins and losses. You can develop 1000's of men and women every year, but if you can't, at least, win a district championship, you will be developing these men and women at a different school.

txkmom
12-16-2005, 10:49 AM
A superior coach is one who always remains a student of the game; who "learns" his players and staff - both their own potential and their needs; who knows his own mind, but puts together a staff who can work as one unit; and who expects everyone, players and coaches alike, to work as hard as he does. He isn't always the best PR man, or a people pleaser, but he sets clear goals for the team and program and sets out to achieve them, year after year. A superior coach is one who players and coaches want to emulate, although he's far from perfect.

LH Panther Mom
12-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Wins are great, but developing young men and women is most important. MHO
Darn it! I had the first part of that, but couldn't decide what I wanted to say after "wins are great". :p Thanks.... :)

hutex04
12-16-2005, 11:02 AM
my goal is to be a coach eventually head coach. In texas it is all about wins and loses. Thats part of the job. But no one wants a winning coach with bad morals. Or id hope not lol. But, the #1 thing is for a coach to be there for those kids and have them play hard for their school.

LH Panther Mom
12-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by hutex04
But no one wants a winning coach with bad morals. Or id hope not lol. But, the #1 thing is for a coach to be there for those kids and have them play hard for their school.
If I remember correctly, I pm'd you about the time you were graduating with what you can look forward to and how to hopefully deal with it. Once again, good luck and it sounds like you're on the right track. :)

hutex04
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
thanks lhmom, i just looked at that pm the other day, still have it on there. Hope you come to dallas for the game.

mustang68
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by txkmom
A superior coach is one who always remains a student of the game; who "learns" his players and staff - both their own potential and their needs; who knows his own mind, but puts together a staff who can work as one unit; and who expects everyone, players and coaches alike, to work as hard as he does. He isn't always the best PR man, or a people pleaser, but he sets clear goals for the team and program and sets out to achieve them, year after year. A superior coach is one who players and coaches want to emulate, although he's far from perfect.

Well said.

shadow13
12-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
hmmm. Someone that has the full support of the community and has respect from his players. If you have that, the wins will come. KEYWORD : RESPECT for your players , you have to give RESPECT ,before you can get RESPECT. This is where it all starts from RESPECT.If you have a coach that gives respect to the players ,then you have a team ,and also you have the community behind you no matter what the win / lost record is at the end of the year.

hutex04
12-16-2005, 01:06 PM
I did not think i had to go into detail about respect. You dont get it, you earn it. Once or if you have the respect of the fans and players the wins will come. Cause they will have faith in your system and how things are run.

3afan
12-16-2005, 01:12 PM
.....what makes a great coach?

great players .....

handNthedirt
12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Two words: PASSION AND PATIENCE!!!!!

....and that's the dang truth.

Iowa Park alum
12-16-2005, 01:32 PM
This could be a long list...

01 - Instill pride in the individual players
02 - Treat each player with respect
03 - Earn respect in return
04 - A coach has to do what he says he will do, day in and day out
05 - Listen to the parents, this doesn't mean he has to agree
06 - Know FOOTBALL, how to scout, prepare, coach during a game
07 - Be an administrator, i.e. budget, deal with teachers, & superintendents
08 - A superior coach will need a strong home life, i.e. wife, kids,...
09 - Have an open door for players to come and talk to the coach
10 - Instill discipline and a work ethic in the individual players
11 - Many others also...

Someone said that the coach must play all the kids. That's not true. If the coach has done his job then the player will know his role on the "team" and will know the other players and coaches appreciates his contribution. This player and all other players will know that he has contributed to the teams' success. Whether he plays in a certain game would depend on the circumstances of that game.

STANG RED
12-16-2005, 01:50 PM

First of all, it is important to understand that there is a difference in just simply being a great coach, and being a great man.
You dont have to be a great man to be a great coach, and certainly, all great men are not great coaches! It is a rare blessing, when you can find both in the same package.
A great coach has to have the ability to evaluate, and continue to re-evaluate his talent, and adjust his system to fit what ever talent level he has at the time. Alot of coaches box themselves in with a system that just simply does not fit the talent they have at the time. You cant hammer a nail with a hacksaw. If a coach does not use the tools he has wisely, he is doomed to fail! And he has to be able to recognize the changes in talent from year to year. Just because he may have a cast to support his chosen style of offense or defense one year doesnt mean he will next year. If his offense relies heavily on speed and he has none, he will fail, and so on and so on.

mustang68
12-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Iowa Park alum

11 - Many others also...

Someone said that the coach must play all the kids. That's not true. If the coach has done his job then the player will know his role on the "team" and will know the other players and coaches appreciates his contribution. This player and all other players will know that he has contributed to the teams' success. Whether he plays in a certain game would depend on the circumstances of that game.

Thanks! Great list. Seems funny that no one has mentioned listening to the fans about the offence which should or should not be run.;) :rolleyes: (sarcasm, reference to other threads)

mustang68
12-16-2005, 04:25 PM
ttt

Iowa Park alum
12-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Iowa Park alum

11 - Many others also...

One thing I should have added...
12 - Surround yourself with positive/successful assistant coaches

TheDOCTORdre
12-16-2005, 04:58 PM
What makes a superior coach...the world may never know until the Doctor takes a stab @ it:D

rockdale80
12-16-2005, 05:03 PM
I should be graduating in Dec. of 06, then I am off to coach somewhere.

keenoace
12-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Head Coaches that nominate their better athletes for ALL-District. Maybe that's why a certain someone(#22) didn't make ALL-DISTRICT:thinking:, that should have made all district in 4-3A.

Milk That Cow
12-16-2005, 07:01 PM
He Walks the Walk and Talks the Talk...

On AND Off The Field

Dishing out some motivation, inspiration, perspiration, and dedication in equal doses...

Hupernikomen
12-16-2005, 07:14 PM

A great coach inspires young men to be the best at everything they do..football, algebra whatever!

I like how Gen. Patton put it "If a man does his best what else is there?"

Buccaneer
12-17-2005, 11:38 AM
In the immortal words of Bum Phillips, "A good coach can take his'ns and beat yourn's. Then he can take yourn's and beat hisn's!

etbu
12-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Great Coaches are great thinkers, humble and spread the glory around. :D