PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobblers - My Theory On Why They Got Beat...

Milk That Cow
12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Cuero always has a great regular season...
- Because they don't play anybody

Cuero always goes deep in the playoffs
-Because they don't play anybody good until the later rounds..

Don't get me wrong Cuero has great football tradition, but South Texas 3A football is the weakest BY FAR of all the areas...

Even when they get to the later rounds they either:
1) get beat by teams that are better than them...

2) get surprised by teams that they are supposedly superior(Hutto) but they aren't battle tested to beat them...

3) beat teams that have been beaten up by other good teams in their division...

Not to be harsh, but the Cuero tradtion is "greatly enhanced" because of the severe dearth of quality 3A football programs in the whole South Region...

this is just my humble opinion...

schu1213
12-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Lol are you serious. Your a joke man.

big daddy russ
12-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Phew, I'm glad it's an opinion. For a second there, I thought that whole post was fact.

SintonFan
12-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Moooooooo
If South Texas was so weak? Let's see, Sinton lost a tough game to Everman in '01. Bandera took the div. 2 title in '02. Cuero barely lost on a last second field goal to Abilene last year?
lol
MTC, I'd say that's not a very humble opinion.:p

AAA87
12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
How many D1 players have come out of Cuero, a small 3A school compared to other 3A schools in the state over the last 20 years or so......please....take that weak cheese somewheres else.

44INAROW
12-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Sure thing Moo Cow, whatever you say.... :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
12-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Hello!! Welcome to the Board!!!

Nice first post!!:clap: :rolleyes:

West22
12-15-2005, 09:18 PM
I have to agree with milk that cow that their are a lot more quality in cen tex than in the south .The south Texas teams do not have to get up for games week after week like the cen tx , teams .Ithink his post was right on target .

Milk That Cow
12-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey,

All I'm saying is Cuero doesn't play anybody good until late in the playoffs...

and the South Region is the weakest in the State...

East Texas - STRONG
West Texas - STRONG
Central Texas - STRONG
South Texas - weak

Though, that's my opinion, some folks would say it's pretty much fact...

Sweetwater Red
12-15-2005, 09:26 PM

Don't get me wrong Cuero has great football tradition, but South Texas 3A football is the weakest BY FAR of all the areas...

2) get surprised by teams that they are supposedly superior(Hutto) but they aren't battle tested to beat them...

Not to be harsh, but the Cuero tradtion is "greatly enhanced" because of the severe dearth of quality 3A football programs in the whole South Region...

Because you added the part about "humble opinion" I won't be
too harsh. Sweetwater had one weak schedule. They made it to
the semi-finals. Lost to Tatum 32-19. We dominated the first
half but didn't have the points to show for it. Tatum dominated
the second half and did have the points to show for it. Would a
tougher schedule made a difference no.

The reason Cuero was beaten??? Hutto was the better team
when it mattered...game time...

GreenMonster
12-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey,

East Texas - STRONG
West Texas - STRONG
Central Texas - STRONG
South Texas - weak

Glad to see you think so highly of EVERY region but 4. Name 5 schools from each region other than region 4 and explain why you chose to name each of those schools. It's easy to point fingers and explain away losses but are you educated enough on the other Regions to speak so boldly?

gobblerguy6405
12-15-2005, 09:35 PM
nice post sweetwater red........i like how milk that cow talked about how cuero plays such weak teams.....i look back on the 2004 season.....district was a tough one....halletsville went far that year until they ran into liberty hill....then the playoff run we made was against some serious opponents...especially second round to this years D1 State champs.....and then palestine who fought to the end.....yes we lost in the final but at least we made it there

HM33
12-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Don't see how you can say South Texas is the weakest area. I don't know the weakest one. I doubt anyone could give you a true answer to that. Any team in any part of Texas can beat any other team in the state at any given moment. Yes, I do believe Cuero had a easy road all the way up until where they got to. Last year was much tougher. Pre-district started out easy but it started to get tougher adn tougher every week. The other two teams in our district that made playoffs did very well there. In the playoffs, 1st round West Columbia and if i remember correctly they just dropped to 3A. 2nd round Wimberly. We snuck by that game. 3rd round we had a rematch to Sinton. 4th round we play a very athletic and speedy paletine team. and state we lost in the final seconds of the game to Wylie. Now saying that the southern area of Texas is the weakest is just ridiculous. I believe Texas is blessed with great team all over the state and that no one region is better than the other.

SintonFan
12-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey,

East Texas - STRONG
West Texas - STRONG
Central Texas - STRONG
South Texas - weak

Region four has a champion team from Wimberley this year. LOL
Bandera had a better showing against them than the finals team did. You sound familiar in your argument and your name claims that this is someone who is established with an alter-ego. Why pick on region four? Even though you have Cen-Tex for your location(which isn't even a real location for serious posters) you pick on region four. There are lots of legitimate questions that these good folks haved posed why not answer a few? :thinking:

Milk That Cow
12-16-2005, 12:02 AM
No alter ego here, I'm just new to the board...

Hey, I didn't say Cuero is not any good. They are a very good team with a great winning tradition. My opinion is that tradition has been built, because the overall competition they face is weak until they get deep in the playoffs....

I'm not the statistician, I'm just stating an opinion.

For example, Central Texas and East Texas are loaded with competitive districts and early round playoff games and pre-season games that are slugfests...,

West Texas is kinda top heavy, but you can identify several teams in that region who have some sorta of winning traditions that have some interesting matchups...

But South Texas, all you've got is Cuero and Sinton with the occasional Bandera. It's not like it cycles through either..., they just blow through preseason and district every year like their scrimmages...

Again, this is just my humble opinion...

FYI - I consider Wimberly and Liberty Hill to be more Central Texas...

SintonFan
12-16-2005, 12:32 AM

Hey, I didn't say Cuero is not any good. They are a very good team with a great winning tradition. My opinion is that tradition has been built, because the overall competition they face is weak until they get deep in the playoffs....

For example, Central Texas and East Texas are loaded with competitive districts and early round playoff games and pre-season games that are slugfests...,

West Texas is kinda top heavy, but you can identify several teams in that region who have some sorta of winning traditions that have some interesting matchups...

But South Texas, all you've got is Cuero and Sinton with the occasional Bandera. It's not like it cycles through either..., they just blow through preseason and district every year like their scrimmages...

The only milk you'll get from me is that the bottom most teams from SoTX might not be on par with most of the state. But even then would a Smithville beat a Taft(2A)? Maybe yes or no. But the middle to higher teams have adopted systems that utilize talents best they can. The competition among decent teams in Region four has closed whatever gap that might have been there in the 90's imho. Alot of your argument is built on speculation and we can continue this till forever and a day. But to come out saying that Cuero doesn't play anyone competitve or weak teams is very naive. You topic should have been "Region 4 is weak" since that's what you seem to infer. I live in SA and can tell you that there where many good teams that either didn't make the playoffs or were early losers to better teams. Then again, I do keep my opinion quite humble ya know...:D :)

SintonFan
12-16-2005, 12:38 AM

Then why choose a name that begs to get the most responses? The name itself brings to question a motive if given forethought. Couple that with your first post here cements that thinking.

sinfan75
12-16-2005, 05:47 AM
I've said it before, if you take the top 10 teamsout of each region put up against each other R 4 will win at least half of those games. Tough games every week? I saw the scores of top teams in 3A every week. They all had more blow-outs than close games.

3afan
12-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
... educated enough on the other Regions to speak so boldly?

is anybody?

the 'best region' arguement/debate is really a silly one ... talk about insignificant - but it does once in a while make for some borderline interesting reading ... IMO

Aesculus gilmus
12-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Gilmer's first round game with Daingerfield had the atmosphere of a fourth round game. Daingerfield is from what is rated by many as the overall toughest 3A district in the state, District 14-3A.

Gilmer is from THE weakest district in East Texas in this classification, District 13-3A.

Everybody knows it and what he is saying about Cuero has also been a concern in Gilmer the last several years because District 11-3A, our previous district, was also very weak.

The Buckeyes did get it together in bi-district to avenge their only regular season loss. Daingerfield beat Gilmer, 26-17, in regular season, and we returned the favor, 42-32, in bi-district.

However, the team suffered several injuries in the bi-district game, including one season-ending knee injury to a linebacker. Our coach proved to be a prophet when he said after that game that whoever faced us in the second round would "have a shot" as he put it becauses the Buckeyes were so beat up.

The bi-district game proved to be a Pyrrhic victory. Canton upset us the following week, 61-58. That linebacker was sorely missed.

sinton66
12-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Regardless where you consider Bandera, Wimberley, and Liberty Hill to be, the fact remains they are in region 4. Cuero and Sinton normally play each other in predistrict every year, and take turns beating up on each other. They have a streak going currently that has lasted about 3 years now. Before that, we had one going back the previous 3 or 4. Cuero plays other teams in predistrict as do we. Neither of us can help being located where we are geographically. Both of us would LOVE to play Gainesville and several others on a regular basis, but the travel expenses would be too great for all involved. That's nothing but a simple geographic reality.

Bottom line is this, say what you want, but region 4 has had a rep in the div.1 championship every year for the last five years in a row, finally winning this year. Since Sinton has had no choice but to go div.1 forever, I haven't really kept up with the div.2 results. I think region 4 has proven it can compete with the rest of the state.

BlueBlood
12-16-2005, 09:07 AM

Is this really Old Cardinal?

chugbug
12-16-2005, 09:37 AM
You cannot find a tougher road than the one that Hutto has taken. It was no suprise to me that Hutto beat Cuero . Hutto was battle tested every week. No-one expected them to beat Rice, Marlin,Bridgecity, and Cameron. I think people started to think( as I did ) that Hutto could beat Cuero. No disrespect to Cuero, but I think that Hutto was more battle tested. Cuero had a good football team. But, someone has to lose. Good luck next year Gobblers. Hutto , Goodluck against Tatum.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

cowboyfan8
12-16-2005, 09:46 AM
If Cuero would have been in 19AAA, may not have made the playoffs. That is a fact. Yoe, Hutto(ring a bell), Giddings, etc..You can't argue the fact that region 4 is weak, Hutto proved that. Hutto was battle tested, Cuero wasn't bottom line.

Bearkat
12-16-2005, 09:54 AM
That's the way to stir up some stuff!! This board has been very dead the last couple of days. Bearkat would like to say congrats and welcome to Milk that Cow.

Oh yeah, I also have to agree with Cowboyfan 8. District 19AAA is one of the toughest in the state. If you come out of that district, you are for real.

89JDAWG
12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
most teams south of I10 are weak. I am able to watch alot of teams in the valley. The 5a schools around Mcallen, Brownsville would not make the playoffs in east tx 3a and no I'm not kidding. They seem to play in slow motion and then wonder why they can never get past the San Antionio area. If the uil didnt include some cen tex teams in reg 4 it would be very weak. but calallen did finally make it to state after how many years in the semi-finals?

Gobbler Fan
12-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Numbers dont lie --10 State Championship appearances 3 State Championship's---feel free to put your Teams or for that matter your entire Distric's State Championship appearances @ State Championship's . I'll even spot you 3 :kiss:

To get to the Championship game Cuero had to beat 10 Region 3 Teams I guess they were just having bad years :hand:

Thanks for the ride Gobblers :D

chugbug
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
What is in the past is in the past. I thought we were talking about this year. Hell Sealy won 4 state Championships in a row. You don't see them on here tooting their own horns. I guess some Gobbler fans like to toot their own horns. I am sorry that Cuero lost. You guys will do better next year until you run into Bellville. Good Luck. Merry Christmas. :eek: :eek: :foul: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

HighSchool Fan
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

Bottom line is this, say what you want, but region 4 has had a rep in the div.1 championship every year for the last five years in a row

proves how weak region 3 is:D

Old Green
12-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by chugbug
What is in the past is in the past. I thought we were talking about this year. Hell Sealy won 4 state Championships in a row. You don't see them on here tooting their own horns. I guess some Gobbler fans like to toot their own horns. I am sorry that Cuero lost. You guys will do better next year until you run into Bellville. Good Luck. Merry Christmas. :eek: :eek: :foul: :weeping: :: I hope Cuero and Sealy continue to play each other.:) . That'll be in your future, not the past.:weeping: :evilgrin:

44INAROW
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I wasn't going to reply to these comments, sometimes it's better to let things die on their own, but darn it, it's just not my nature :)

If Cuero was SO WEAK and CONTINUOUSLY OVERRATED as some say, how come we only lose by a couple of points in the last seconds of the game? The 3 games we've lost in the last 3 years have all been decided in the last seconds of the game (field goal by the opposing team) - they could have gone either way. It's not like we are getting blown out - we play heads up ball and sometimes come out on the losing end, but by no means are we getting the crap beat out of us. I am not making excuses, blaming the refs or injuries or anything like that. We lost, I accept it and have moved on.

GO MEAN GREEN :clap: :clap: :clap:

chugbug
12-16-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't give a plug nickel about Cuero or Sealy. Don't mistake me for someone who gives a s#$t.:eek: :eek: :flamingma :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

FbCoachB40
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
most teams south of I10 are weak

FbCoachB40
12-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
most teams south of I10 are weak

Are you kidding me? You talked about teams at all levels. Well lets talk 4A. Callallen, La Marque, Bay City 3A- Cuero, Sinton, WOS, Sweeny (80's-90's)

Are you saying that these teams are WEAK? I could just put LaMarque and BayCity, who have DOMINATED 4A for the past 7 or 8 years

raider red 2000
12-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
Are you kidding me? You talked about teams at all levels. Well lets talk 4A. Callallen, La Marque, Bay City 3A- Cuero, Sinton, WOS, Sweeny (80's-90's)

Are you saying that these teams are WEAK? I could just put LaMarque and BayCity, who have DOMINATED 4A for the past 7 or 8 years

dont foget teams like palacious and calhoun....powerhouses along the coast :)

just kidding.

District303aPastPlayer
12-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
dont foget teams like palacious and calhoun....powerhouses along the coast :)

just kidding.

now THAT is funny

Highschoolfan78
12-16-2005, 01:39 PM
geez, i wake up from a good night to read this thread. grrrr..Alright first off Chugbug , hutto -better team that night and i was pretty sure we established that in about 50 other threads. Region 4 weak? That has to be the dumbest crap i've ever read. Someone should research and see how many each region has won state. People from cuero dont "toot their own horn" by stating that we've been to 10 championships. We are just proud of our town what the heck is wrong with that?

hutex04
12-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Region 4 is strong, this is texas! football is good all over. When you say Region 4 is weak, you saying Hutto did not beat a great team. So i have to disagree. Cuero, Sinton, Callallan is playing for the state championship tomorrrow. etc etc

Milk That Cow
12-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey, I didn't say they are not any good, it's just they don't play anybody good.

There's a reason those guys are healthy and fresh deep in the playoffs while other regions are all beat up going through the playoff tournament...

and by the way, Cuero playing in 10 State Championships further validates all three of my original claims..

1) They are a good team with great tradition, because

2) They don't play anybody that's any good until late in the playoffs and

3) When they play somebody good either:

A) they win because the other team is all beat up...

B) they lose because the other team is more battle tested...

Again, just my humble opinion...

gobbler grad
12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
well, then just quit giving your opinion, your milk is getting sour...

:D :D :D :D

big daddy russ
12-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Just threw my hat into the ring. Here's my humble opinions.

You talk about R4 being weak this year. I'd agree that R4 Division 2 was down, but most of our powerhouses went D1 this year. Needville, Liberty Hill, Devine, Hallettsville and Cuero were the class of D2. Wimberley, West Columbia, Sinton (even though the Pirates had a poor showing in the playoffs) along with D2's Cuero were our "powerhouses." I'll agree that R3 was the best Region, top to bottom, this year. But this was also an "up" year for R3. Typically, most of the playoff teams from R4 match up nicely top to bottom with most of the other regions.

When stacking Cuero up as an "easy," unhardened team, be careful in your arguments. When a team beats them by two TD's or more it's one story, but when they get beat by a safety it's an entirely different one.

I'll break up these posts as two different ones for two different arguments. The rest is below.

44INAROW
12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Just threw my hat into the ring. Here's my humble opinions.

When stacking Cuero up as an "easy," unhardened team, be careful in your arguments. When a team beats them by two TD's or more it's one story, but when they get beat by a safety it's an entirely different one.

someone agrees with me :D sour milk or whatever his "new name" is on my ignore list. - he has a beef with Cuero and it's obvious. . you guys outta try the IGNORE feature.. it has saved me from getting ROMMED :D

big daddy russ
12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Since you're arguing that Cuero has an easy run through R4, I'm assuming you mean recently??? Or are you going all the way back to the 90's, 80's, and 70's?

If you are, then I guess Odessa Permian has just had a bunch of easy runs through a district that includes Midland Lee, Abilene and Abilene Cooper and was nicknamed the "Little Southwest Conference." What about Daingerfield and all their "easy" runs through R2? Or Jasper and all their "easy" runs through R3? These teams make it year-in, year-out, just like Cuero. What's the difference?

If you're only talking about the last couple of years, that's fine too, because Cuero just came back to being a state powerhouse two years ago after a couple years off the wagon. Sure, they had some good teams, but none that had just dominated everyone like they did back in '98.

As a matter of fact, look at the next realignment after that '98 season. That was the '00 district realignment. Who was the best district back then? Was it 19-3A? 4-3A? Do you remember? Are you old enough to?

Truth is, the consensus is there were two. One was deep in East Texas. That was just one of those districts that always has powerhouses. There were three teams in that district with outstanding tradition and two more up-and-coming teams. One of those great programs won a championship the year before. One fielded the greatest 3A team of all time back in '83 and went to the championship two years prior, and another lost to the eventual state champs in the third round of the prior year by one TD... a score of 29-21. That was the biggest scare Commerce got until the finals.

The other district was more of a "superdistrict." A district of eight with five teams that had gone to the playoffs the previous year and one that missed out on the playoffs by one game (they were in the same district as three of the other playoff schools the previous year). One of those teams was in the Championship the previous year and went into the '00 season ranked in the top 10. Another was making noise on the statewide level with a bunch of sophs and were ranked top 15. One of them had just made two straight playoff runs of at least three deep, made an appearance in the Semifinals in '98, and was still waiting for their best team of the bunch... a bunch of kids who were sophomores in '00. They were ranked 23rd during the preseason. One other team, from an overlooked basketball-dominated school in inner-city Corpus Christi, was also ranked in the top 20. Three of the teams went at least three deep in '99. The other two were knocked out by one of the other three. This was just going into the heyday of R4. The days of Sinton, Burnet, Bandera, etc... where we sent at least one team to a final every single year and brought back a couple of trophies. That district was tough. That district was loaded. That district was over two hours south of I-10. 30-3A, the district in and to the north of Corpus, could've put their top six into a hat that year and competed with just about anyone from any district in the state. Mathis, Sinton, George West, Aransas Pass, and Corpus Christi West Oso were those five teams. If these names don't mean anything to you, then you're not old enough or educated enough to understand tradition, but for a couple of years these teams were great.

Mathis lost to Texarkana Liberty-Eylau in the '99 finals (L-E was one of the teams out of the other tough district in East TX) then made it to the Quarterfinals that year. Sinton was playing with a bunch of sophomores and a freshman QB in '99. Lost to Mathis in the second round. Then made it to the D1 Quarterfinals in '00, where they lost 14-0 to Bandera. Too bad that freshman (well, now sophomore) QB got injured earlier in the playoffs. The next year, they almost won a state title. Wound up sending three of those kids to D-I schools and quite a few more litter the rosters of D-II schools. Ask District303Apastplayer about those teams. He played on a couple. Oh, and that little freshman QB. Well, that QB got a football offer from UT, but instead decided he wanted to play baseball. So instead of taking UT's football scholarship, he took their baseball scholarship. Aransas Pass gave eventual D2 state champs Newton their biggest scare of the playoffs when the two met in the '98 Semifinals at the Astrodome. AP went three deep again in '99 and their most talented team of the bunch wouldn't come until '02. George West was a R4 powerhouse throughout the 90's and lost a 28-18 heartbreaker to Aransas Pass the previous year in the playoffs.

All of those teams were strong enough to compete in any region. None made it out of Region 4 that year.

Truth is, if you don't keep up with R4 you won't have a good opinion of them. There are only two districts south of Corpus, so when you talk about the "deep south" I assume you mean south of SA??? Because that would include Wharton, West Columbia, Cuero, Gonzales, Hallettsville, Sinton, and Port Isabel. That's about half of R4's districts, represented by quite possibly three of the four toughest districts in the region. Between the Cuero/Gonzales district, the Needville/West Columbia/Wharton district, and the Sinton/Mathis district, there are usually some pretty dang good teams that come out of there.

big daddy russ
12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
someone agrees with me :D sour milk or whatever his "new name" is on my ignore list. - he has a beef with Cuero and it's obvious. . you guys outta try the IGNORE feature.. it has saved me from getting ROMMED :D
But I like arguing. :D :D :D

Old Green
12-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
Region 4 is strong, this is texas! football is good all over. When you say Region 4 is weak, you saying Hutto did not beat a great team. So i have to disagree. Cuero, Sinton, Callallan is playing for the state championship tomorrrow. etc etc AMEN hutexo4. You always speak the truth.:thumbsup:

District303aPastPlayer
12-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Russ... i have one word to say to your region IV post... CHURCH!

44INAROW
12-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
Region 4 is strong, this is texas! football is good all over. When you say Region 4 is weak, you saying Hutto did not beat a great team. So i have to disagree. Cuero, Sinton, Callallan is playing for the state championship tomorrrow. etc etc

Hutex04 - when is your flight? Hope you have a good flight and no weather delays......... :p

hookandladder
12-16-2005, 03:27 PM
I will have to say when La Grange was in Region 3, before 2000. We had some really good teams that could not make it to the Reginal Championship. In 2000 we moved to Region 4 and we pretty much dominated all the way til the regional championship game against Marlin. That's a game we should have not won, but Marlin made some bad decisions and timely mistakes. Forney another awesome game.LG State Champs.

scotty
12-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I know that the glory days are behind at Sealy, but you have to remember that two of the four consecutive 3A state championships they won were when they were in R-4 3A. Back then Cuero, George West, Port Isabel and several others had great teams got past them.
While I agree that as a rule the R-4 teams aren't usually as strong as the ones from R-2 or 3 there have been some great teams come out of that region.
In most cases the teams from R-2 and 3 are loaded with great Black athletes while in R-4 there are many more Hispanics.
An old coach once told me that when you play in R-4 those teams are loaded with IBM kids...Itty-Bitty-Mexicans and when they get against teams that have size they are overmatched. Please no pum intended.
So many times, like this year, a team that has a lot of tradition like Cuero has will be profected real high in the polls.
Sealy wasn't very strong this year and when they put up the fight against Cuero that they did, I just didn't see the Gobblers as a team that should have been rated #1.
Then I watched Bellville demolish Gonzales and they made the playoffs out of the Cuero district. The Apaches were the weakest team I watched all last season that night.
Had the District 20-3A teams been in competition against the teams from 19-3A none of them would have made the playoffs.
I thought that Giddings was outstanding and had they been able to play a bit better on defense they would have gone all the way. Next year could be their year. That qb is something special and they have the big fullback back as well.
Bellville will be better but I don't see them as state championship caliber.

un b weavable
12-17-2005, 01:20 AM

Are you making up your own regions or what?

slyder
12-17-2005, 11:45 AM
the fact of the whole matter is there is a new person on the board (like myself) who wants to do a little 2% potbanging to make a name for himself. cuero is in the mix year in and year out. where will his team be in five years or ten years. cuero will still be at the top of everyone's hate list, still in the top 25. so we choked in a big game no doubt but we will be there again next year to play some other cinderella team who happened to have a good year and hopefully we'll win.

p.s. we beat some very good ball clubs last year and this year. lost to south lake in 93 and we were winning until the 4th quarter we play calallen sealy sinton and so on do some research then post.

slyder
12-17-2005, 12:15 PM
don arroyo----baylor
clint finley--nebraska
melvin barnet-baylor
kevin parma---wyoming
jason enoch---wyoming
matt anderson-texas
levar jenkins-texas
wes kebesch---rice

and there were more from that team that went to smaller schools
thats just one year in cuero a 500 student school

milk the cow more like bang the pot

adrian alaniz
and the guy from yoakum were starting pitchers for texas university last year when they won it all. i beweave they are from region 4. cuero won state in track region 4 yoakum and sinton are always deep in the baseball playoffs. i can't believe these guys got to me.

44INAROW
12-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by slyder
. i can't believe these guys got to me.

it happens to the best of us :D

Like I said, Success breeds jealousy.....

Sundance
12-17-2005, 01:35 PM

FYI - I consider Wimberly and Liberty Hill to be more Central Texas... Let see I may be wrong in what I found. So you make the choice and let me know. One question I need to ask . Since you say Cuero is in the weakest region 4. I have one question to ask. Odessa Permian Which I know is in 5-AAA has been in the State Final's 11 times. Record to show *********
SEMI
FINALS: 65, 68, 70, 75, 77, 78, 84, 85, 89, 91, 95
and Cuero which is in 3-AAA has been in the State Final's 10 times
and soon to be 11 in the coming future. Record to show *****
SEMI-FINAL CHAMPS
'70, '73, '74, '75, '85, '86, '87, '93, '98, '04
So since Cuero is in the weakest region and only plays the better teams later in the playoffs. Can anyone tell me were your winning traditions are at? :confused: :D :)

sinton66
12-17-2005, 01:50 PM
The "guy from Yoakum" is pitcher Randy Boone. And yes, they are both Region 4 people. There are more.

unclebeebeep
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I must say i don't agree that region 4 is weak each region has there power house teams year in and year out and each region has teams that constantly struggle to not only establish there program but just to get a win. To make it to the title game it doesn't just take skill and a great program but also a bit of luck and lack of injuries to get that much treasured win.

robertC1984
12-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Hey, I didn't say they are not any good, it's just they don't play anybody good.

There's a reason those guys are healthy and fresh deep in the playoffs while other regions are all beat up going through the playoff tournament...

and by the way, Cuero playing in 10 State Championships further validates all three of my original claims..

1) They are a good team with great tradition, because

2) They don't play anybody that's any good until late in the playoffs and

3) When they play somebody good either:

A) they win because the other team is all beat up...

B) they lose because the other team is more battle tested...

Again, just my humble opinion...

The blame for Cuero's winning/losing against good teams shouldn't be put on the opposing team, but on CUERO. If they win, it's because they're BETTER than the other team, and vise versa if they lose.

Now, I rather enjoyed the comment describing the valley's speed. slow motion. LoL.. sad, but true. I don't know why south texas schools forget about speed. Maybe it's not there.. I mean, it is attainable.. so where is it? Coaches? lol..

Cameron Crazy
12-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Cuero never has any good competiton till the get to the playoffs and then they realize that well they aernt that good...Have a merry christmas to all

3afan
12-17-2005, 03:11 PM
CCrazy - what do YOU really KNOW about Cuero football?

District303aPastPlayer
12-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
what do you really KNOW about Cuero football?

i KNOW they have a great set of underclassmen next year as well as 10 State Championship game appearances.

District303aPastPlayer
12-17-2005, 03:17 PM
and like gobbla2001's sig says.... people wish they were square so they'd quit comin around

44INAROW
12-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Cuero never has any good competiton till the get to the playoffs and then they realize that well they aernt that good...Have a merry christmas to all

re: Tatum/Cuero Thread started by Cameron Crazy

I have no clue why everyone talks about them i mean i dont know much about them but idk please inform me

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected a fool than to open your mouth and confirm the fact that you are

gobbler grad
12-17-2005, 04:12 PM

oh really...you absolutely know nothing about anything...your just mouthing...i'd like to know where you get your info from...:thinking:

KingRob
12-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Well....at least people are talking about Cuero. Of course all bad talk is strickly forbidden, but at least they're talking about us. Don't read too much about Gonzales or Yoakum or any other team in our 3A area.

I have been asked why Cuero is at the tip almost every year. I really don't know what to say. Perfect mix players and tradition? As long as they keep winning, it can stay a secret!!:D ;)

Gobbla2001
12-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Wow, I just read this thread for the first time, this was GRRRRREAT...

Milk the Cow, I swear, this guy is just halarious...

This made me laugh, throw-up, crap and pee my pants all at the same time, AKA: You just made a mess...

And chugbug, oh chugbug, the way you bring up Sealy all of the time I swear you must be on their payroll...

You said "What is in the past is in the past, I thought this post was about this year"...

No, chugbug, Cow-Milker over here was saying that in our past we have been to the state championship game 10 times because we have played in a weak region and have taken advantage of those 'poor teams who had to play in a tougherd region'... Last time I checked, what was in the past WAS IN THIS POST...

As for La Grange winning state in 2000 after moving down to region 4 from region 3...

#1, you still had to beat the D2 region 3 representative right? Or did they get beat up and play a tougher schedule?

#2, y'all were a very good team the year before and brought back 11-10 starters, DUH!!!...

#3, that year's only loss was to who? That's right, Region 4 representative Gonzales, straight out of Cuero's district I might add...

Back to Bad Milk and this dang subject:

Why do you believe that Region 4 is weak? Have you ever really watched any Region 4 teams (and I'm not talking Palacios or something, and Calhoun in Region 3 for the poster who mentioned them, and 4A :D :p )???

So let's see, darned if we don't danged if we do is what I'm getting out of this...

If we lose: "Y'all suck just like every other Region 4 team"

If we win: "Oh it's because the poor Region 3 etc... team had played a tough schedule and was beat up" (because Cuero doesn't have injuries for some reason)...

Last year we went 14-1, lost 17-14 on a last second field-goal in the state-championship game... We played that whole season without our starting RB (who's going to A&M next year, btw) because he was injured in a scrimmage earlier in the year... tell me we don't have injuries and we don't get hurt...

Keep playing that damned fiddle, son, and we'll just keep comin' back around...

Gobbla2001
12-28-2005, 09:38 PM
I guess Cuero won the state track meet this year because the other teams were tired from running all year long???

BTW, the year that La Grange won state and lost to REGION 4 Gonzales, Gonzales finished 3rd in their district...

Yoakum
Cuero
Gonzales

Wimberly won state this year in D1
Cuero went through Wimberly last year in D1, guess they more wore-out than Cuero playing in Region.... wait a minute, 4???

The cow's dry...

Gobbla2001
12-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Cuero played 3 Region 3 teams this year...

Beat La Grange 41-0 (or was it 46-0 or somthing?)

Beat Sealy 48-30

Lost to Hutto, who played a very close game in the championship by 2 freaking points...

I'll think of more as soon as I stop laughing, plus I'm kinda pissed...

GreenMonster
12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
this one too

Centextrash
12-29-2005, 12:38 AM
My 2 cents...

I have seen both teams play earlier in the year and I told people I worked with that Hutto might pull the upset of Cuero.

3 reasons

1. Hutto has the size up front to move any D-line. I have thought All year if they would just line up and run right AT people they would be tough to stop for anyone. They are/were big up front with speed behind it...Humm kinda sounds like Cuero.

2. They had been on an amazing run in the playoffs and had been playing with a TON of confidence...not arrogance.. confidence. No offense to the gobblers, but they motivate with arrogance.

3. The Liberty Hill factor....
For some CRAZY reason teams that beat Liberty Hill go on the next week and play flat. Why? I don't know...maybe its the prep involved in that crazy offense.

Now I did not see the game, I went and watched Wimberley win..congrats texans. I was a little surprised at the scores when I heard them, but as I have stated I had some feelings that the Hippos might win. Cuero is an AWESOME team, and will be a force to contend with again..but on this day, you were beat by a
"lesser team".

Now for Milk boy....Region 4 has beaten Region 3 at least once in the last 6 years in the regional finals...I would not say that Cuero plays weak competition either, no one in that area will play them, so they have to look for other areas to play...you can't control some of that.

Boosty_Hondo
12-29-2005, 12:50 AM
how about my 2 cents FOOTBALL IS OVER AND THIS HAPPENED WHAT 5 WEEKS AGO PEOPLE LOOSE PEOPLE WHEN THERE IS REALLY NO REASON JUST EXCUSES

BTEXDAD
12-29-2005, 09:48 AM
I just finished going through all the posts and humble opinions here, and main question I have is, "Can't we all just get along?"

Have a Happy and safe New Year!

p.s. I think Region 3 is the strongest region.

44INAROW
12-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I just finished going through all the posts and humble opinions here, and main question I have is, "Can't we all just get along?"

Have a Happy and safe New Year!

p.s. I think Region 3 is the strongest region.

I hear ya! by the way,, have you'll heard any more to the rumor that Cuero and Bellville will play in pre-season in 2006? I heard that a while back, but I haven't heard it since.. Have we ever played each other (in recent history) I know we played you'll in the Wharton baseball tourney this spring, but that's the only time I remember in the last few years.

BTEXDAD
12-29-2005, 10:58 AM
I hear ya! by the way,, have you'll heard any more to the rumor that Cuero and Bellville will play in pre-season in 2006? I heard that a while back, but I haven't heard it since.. Have we ever played each other (in recent history) I know we played you'll in the Wharton baseball tourney this spring, but that's the only time I remember in the last few years.

I haven't heard about the preseason game. Just tried calling coach/AD, but forgot it's the holidays and no one around. I don't remember Bellville Playing cuero in the past, but it would be a good time. Bellville should be slightly stronger next year, since they were pretty much a team dominated by sophs and jrs.

I remember a kid (rb) named Robert Strait from Cuero who went to Baylor years back, and I don't know what happened to him after that. Did he just get lost in the system?

Cuero is nice town. I get down there couple of times a year with my insurance job.

44INAROW
12-29-2005, 11:18 AM

I remember a kid (rb) named Robert Strait from Cuero who went to Baylor years back, and I don't know what happened to him after that. Did he just get lost in the system?

Cuero is nice town. I get down there couple of times a year with my insurance job.

Insurance? hhmm.. that's what I do too :)

BTEXDAD
12-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Insurance? hhmm.. that's what I do too :)
Don't get concerned. I have two existing clients down there. I'm not actively soliciting.
Just come down to visit with them so some unscrupulous agent won't steal them from me.

injuredinmelee
12-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I've said it before, if you take the top 10 teamsout of each region put up against each other R 4 will win at least half of those games. Tough games every week? I saw the scores of top teams in 3A every week. They all had more blow-outs than close games.

I dont know where you get that. I say region IV in 5A is tough but thats only because of the One San Antonio area district that has Judson, Smithson valley and Marshall. Other than that Region IV is not as competitive as the other 3.

Go Cuero
12-29-2005, 05:01 PM

Sort of. He went to play in the NFL and I heard from a great source walked off the field for some reason. He also got into some legal trouble and was in the big house for awhile. You can do a search on google for him and find out about what he did.

gobbler grad
12-29-2005, 09:22 PM
saw him Xmas Day and he is still huge...:eek:

could of played for Cleveland Browns, but walked out on them...

sinfan75
12-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I dont know where you get that. I say region IV in 5A is tough but thats only because of the One San Antonio area district that has Judson, Smithson valley and Marshall. Other than that Region IV is not as competitive as the other 3. I'm just talkin about 3A. And all you gotta do is look back at the last few years in dvision 1 and see which region was represented the most in the Finals. 3 or 4? Region 4 was!!!

Gobbla2001
12-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I'm just talkin about 3A. And all you gotta do is look back at the last few years in dvision 1 and see which region was represented the most in the Finals. 3 or 4? Region 4 was!!!

You don't get it, the only reason the Region 4 teams have gotten past Region 3 the last 5 years in division 1, and in '98 and '99, and the two years before that in the years before d1/d2 is because the Region 3 teams were too beat up from playing too many tough games...

But if Region 4 DOESN'T make it to state, it's because they HAVEN'T played tough teams...

which one is it? I'm confused...

Gobbla2001
12-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Since 1996, Region 4 has put 13 teams in the State Championship game, only one of those teams has been blown-out in the championship game (Mathis, '99) and 5 have won the title...

Now, I am not saying that Region 4 is the toughest Region, I could really care less if it is the weakest, but it's not 'that much' weaker if it is infact the weakest...

I just think this whole philosophy that we've had blown up our rears in this thread is pretty wack and holds no water... it's stupid...

I'll say of Region 4 what I said of Cuero, darned if we don't, danged if we do...

If we make it past Region 3 and/or bring home a championship against Regions 1 or 2 it's because the other team had played too many tough teams and was banged up... if we lose in the semi's or the championship, it's because we hadn't played enough tough teams... this theory contradicts itself as well as the posters dreaming it up to prove a meaningless point...

olddawggreen
12-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Region 4 weak?

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1102/833373xj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And thats all I have to say about that!

District303aPastPlayer
12-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Region 4 weak?

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1102/833373xj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And thats all I have to say about that!

now that is funny

olddawggreen
12-30-2005, 02:23 PM

Maroon87
12-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I see Cuero gets the same BS in 3A that we usually get in 4A...except for this year.:p

Gobbla2001
12-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I see Cuero gets the same BS in 3A that we usually get in 4A...except for this year.:p

It was great to finally see the Wildcats of Calallen finally get over that hump...

The funny thing is that from what I know, it came from a team that wouldn't have been the 'pick of the litter' compared to the other Calallen teams that came up short in the past when going by physical appearance... They had 'inside' what it took to get to where they went... and yet again, as always, they didn't lose by much in their final game...

Cuero and Calallen need to play next year... win or lose, Cuero needs to play a team like Calallen...

Maroon87
12-31-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
It was great to finally see the Wildcats of Calallen finally get over that hump...

The funny thing is that from what I know, it came from a team that wouldn't have been the 'pick of the litter' compared to the other Calallen teams that came up short in the past when going by physical appearance... They had 'inside' what it took to get to where they went... and yet again, as always, they didn't lose by much in their final game...

Cuero and Calallen need to play next year... win or lose, Cuero needs to play a team like Calallen...

Oh yeah! Calallen and Cuero should play every year, IMO. It's great playoff preparation for both teams, even if it is September when the schedule allows them to play. It lets the young 'uns on each side know what to expect come November, an early wake up call to ratchet up the intensity. And anyway, no matter who wins or loses, that game doesn't count towards the playoffs any way. Danaher and Reeve should get that deal going now...the positives outweigh the negatives in regards to making that an annual matchup. It would almost be like a HS version of Michigan/Notre Dame.

On the subject of the 2005 CalCats...what can I say? I only was able to see them twice this season (vs. NB Canyon in the Region 4 final, and vs. Hebron in the 4A DII final) and I still get misty eyed thinking about how well they played as a team against long odds. You're right, Gobbla...out of the 8 CalCat squads that went to state, no one in their right mind would have picked this group to get over the "Region III curse." But they did, and in grand fashion might I say. I always said the Calallen team that got over the hump would be the team you least expected to make it, and for one of the rare times in my life, I was right! I've gotta tip my hat to Hebron...they just had a little too much size and speed for us, plus they made the big plays they needed to make to win in the finals. But it won't diminish what these Cats accomplished in any way. I fully expect us to get back to the finals very soon...and very often! :cool:

Best of luck to Cuero next year and every year that follows!:)

chubbed_up
12-31-2005, 12:40 AM
yall think we could drop the cuero getting did by hutto thing cause its what keeps me from getting on here. everytime i sign on i see this thread and i quickly get in a bad mood and sign back off. dont mean to be selfish or immature just want to be able to get back on

CHS_CG
12-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by chubbed_up
yall think we could drop the cuero getting did by hutto thing cause its what keeps me from getting me on here. everytime i sign on i see this thread and i quickly get in a bad mood and sign back off. dont mean to be selfish or immature just want to be able to get back on

I totally agree. Its like beatin a dead horse.. its over with.

chugbug
01-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Speaking form experience, it is easier going through region 4 than through region 3. That doesn't mean that Cuero, Port Isabel, and Sinton are not quality teams. It is just the way it is.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

neck_06
01-03-2006, 02:10 PM

shouldn't it be inferior?