PDA

View Full Version : Celina Vs Paul Pewitt 2a

beer30
12-15-2005, 06:31 PM
WHO WINS?HAS ANYONE SEEN BOTH TEAMS PLAY THIS YEAR?

turbostud
12-15-2005, 07:50 PM
I havent seen either team play but I got to go with Celina. Dave Cambell thinks otherwise.

2A DII Championship Breakdown

Celina's defense has made it tough on all 15 opponents this year. (Fred Helms/Celina Record)
12/15/2005

2A DIVISION II CHAMPIONSHIP
Celina (15-0) vs. Omaha Paul Pewitt (15-0)
6 p.m. Saturday, Mesquite's Memorial Stadium
Finally, we really believe we've found a match for Celina.

Not that we're cheering against Celina. But Saturday, we'd like to see something more reminiscent of football rather than a bully picking on a runt.

Remove a 27-21 win over Prosper in mid-October (a close game, we admit, but Prosper's last score came with :24 remaining), and Celina has marched all over every opponent. Not just in the postseason, but in the playoffs as well.

We thought defending champ Crawford would give the Bobcats a scare in the regional finals. A scare? If that were a horror movie for Celina, it would be Rated G. For Crawford, however, R was the more exact rating.

In knocking off the defending crown-bearer, Celina held Crawford to 94 total yards and one FG on offense. Crawford got its only other points -- a meager safety -- on a blocked conversion return.

The following week, we knew Celina would win again, but with a potent offense led by QB Sawyer Vest, a close ballgame was the more predictable fate.

Again, wishful thinking.

Celina scored on its first four possessions of the game. By the time touchdown No. 5 came around, it was immaterial. Celina had held Childress to just 109 yards of offense (and one score) in a 35-7 whipping.

By these results, Celina has reason to believe the state title is more than within grasp. They probably feel they have a few fingers wrapped around the golden football.

Problem is, Omaha Paul Pewitt is tugging just as hard from the other side.

Only Pewitt in Class 2A has matched Celina's dominance in 2005. The team's most intriguing storyline up to this point?

Not if Paul Pewitt can win, but win by how much. No team has played Pewitt within 14 points this season. Not even in the playoffs have the Brahmas faced much of a challenge. Take last week's 41-0 blanking of Blanco in the state semifinals as evidence.

Second best storyline?

The race for the team rushing title. Our Class 2A Player of the Year, Jessie Harrison, leads the team with 2,283 yards. (And he's even better, if that's believable, on defense, where the AP named him the 2A Defensive POY on Tuesday).

A hair behind Harrison, shown at right, is QB Teric Williams, who's a close second with 2,224 yards rushing.

And like Celina, Paul Pewitt -- led by Harrison -- boasts a defense that on dominance alone is on par with its offense. Four of Pewitt's opponents ended the game with the same number of points that they started with -- that's 0 points for the slow-witted. Celina has posted seven shutouts.

This is no David vs. Goliath. This is King Kong and Godzilla thrown onto a football field.

Southlake Carroll vs. Katy in 5A will get most of the statewide hype, and unless some powerful Celina or Pewitt boosters come through (a la Highland Park-Marshall), Carroll-Katy will be the only televised title game this weekend.

But we have a feeling this game will go down as the best. Not a shootout, not a defensive standoff, but just one of those classic games you're content to say "I was there when ..."

And out of that classic matchup, we're going with what many would consider an upset, but we think "overlooked" might be the proper term.

Omaha Paul Pewitt beats Celina in a thriller, denying Celina state title No. 7 and giving Pewitt its first title since 1998.

3afan
12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
thats gonna be a great game

big daddy russ
12-15-2005, 07:57 PM
I've read a few of the things they have to say about Pewitt, and I can't bet against them. I'm going with Pewitt, and by more than 10 points.

turbostud
12-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
thats gonna be a great game

Yes it is, I wish I could go.

rockdale80
12-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Pewitt all the way...

beer30
12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
I think celina wins this one by more than alot of people think.Also its funny how all the people that are picking pewitt are fom east texas.Im not from celina or east texas.I just think celina wins.

eagles_victory
12-16-2005, 10:25 AM
how many state titles has Pewitt won?

rockdale80
12-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by beer30
I think celina wins this one by more than alot of people think.Also its funny how all the people that are picking pewitt are fom east texas.Im not from celina or east texas.I just think celina wins.

I am not from east texas either. I just go to school here at SFA. I am actually from Central Texas. So that sort of invalidates what you just said. ;)

lostaussie
12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
i have seen pewitt play 2 times. they are very big and very fast. when they come out for warmups they do not look like a 2a team. this will be the first real battle for both teams. i'm gonna take pewitt by a small margin. say 26-24. if not for going to the mesquite thickets i would love to attend. if you are anywhere close and want to see a GREAT high school matchup, i really believe this is the one to be at.