PDA

View Full Version : KIII threatens to pull station from Time Warner Line-up

tap_tx_sinton
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Advertisement

Viewers tuning into their favorite ABC shows such as "Desperate Housewives," "Lost" and even the University of Texas Longhorns fight in the Rose Bowl might soon see snow instead.

ABC-affiliate KIII has threatened to pull their station beginning at midnight Dec. 31 from Time Warner Cable’s line-up unless the cable provider pays them nearly $500,000 for the right to broadcast and provides free cable to several private residences, said Paula Smith Kolda, spokeswoman for Time Warner Cable.

"They have been steadfast in their demand for cash payment of almost a half-million dollars for a service that they deliver for free over the air," Kolda said.

KIII’s general manager Dick Drilling would not comment Wednesday.

wos fan1
12-14-2005, 07:04 PM
:eek: Not good.

District303aPastPlayer
12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
again?

sinton66
12-14-2005, 07:40 PM
can you say greedy little urchins? (I still have an actual antenne in my attic.);)

Maroon87
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Is it just me, or do they do this every year?

District303aPastPlayer
12-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Is it just me, or do they do this every year?

they do. . .

lostaussie
12-14-2005, 09:00 PM
i'm glad it's ya'll and not me. hopefully to be resolved.

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
if i miss the NC, im gonna go crazy. ive already got it worked out so i can get off that day and watch the game with my friend who is a big usc fan, but went to berkeley...ironic huh? that game better be shown...:mad:

Phil C
12-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know if this includes Charter or Direct TV. I may go get an antenna for my attic mysefl.

Phil C
12-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Most of you are probably too old to remember but it was Channel 3 in Corpus Christi that showed their greed in the Big UT vs Ark shootout for the 1969 NC in college football that UT won 15 to 14. Ark was winning 14 to 0 at the end of the third quarter. They went for a commerical break between quarters and they kept running ads and running more ads. I started to worry that we might miss something. Sure enough they finally switched back just in time for us to be told that James Street of Texas had just ran for a td that we missed. Luckily we got to see the replay but it does show the greed that channel has had from way back. :)

Phil C
12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I remember in the mid 1970s Channel 3 was going to show 1971's The Last Picture Show. In the first part of the movie it had a rough scene (by that day's standards) and right after it started the station mysteriously lost power and were unable to show the whole movie. LOL

marlin fan
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by tap_tx_sinton
Dick Drilling ROFLMAO!!! what a name for someone huh??

Butkus
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
How bout the Heidi game Phil.

Bull Butter
12-14-2005, 11:33 PM
"Heidi" game was on NBC.

Seems like KIII does this sort of thing all the time. I remember about 10 years ago, when viewers all over the Coastal Bend had to go out and buy antennas, just to watch ABC programming because KIII had some sort of dispute with cable companies around the area.

When I was little, I remember KIII refusing to air the movie "Rosemary's Baby" , as well as the shows "Hot L Baltimore" and "Soap" because of the content.

ABC needs to do the Coastal Bend a favor and pull their affiliation from this sorry station.

Phil C
12-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I remember the Heidi bowl incident but I didn't watch that particular game. I think I was watching another game on CBS.

slpybear the bullfan
12-15-2005, 01:07 AM
DIRECTTV = Happiness

X Man
12-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Well, you know what? Time Warner is making money off of what others are broadcasting for free. With that in mind, I can understand why these stations are wanting a cut of the action.

Maroon87
12-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
"Heidi" game was on NBC.

Seems like KIII does this sort of thing all the time. I remember about 10 years ago, when viewers all over the Coastal Bend had to go out and buy antennas, just to watch ABC programming because KIII had some sort of dispute with cable companies around the area.

When I was little, I remember KIII refusing to air the movie "Rosemary's Baby" , as well as the shows "Hot L Baltimore" and "Soap" because of the content.

ABC needs to do the Coastal Bend a favor and pull their affiliation from this sorry station.

I remember in 1993 all of the major network affiliates in CC pulled their signals from Time Warner for several weeks...during football season!:eek: Luckily we had Omnivision and we weren't affected.

Also, KIII is one of the stations that refused to show the entire first season of "NYPD Blue" because it was too "racy." I guess that high moral stand only works in certain situations.:rolleyes: They also probably realized you could sell more local ad time in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" than "NYPD Blue.":mad:

Basically, this is just another chapter in a long history of bad PR moves by this station and their management. I guess you can get away with it when you're #1 in the market every year...