PDA

View Full Version : Texas Facts

Ranger Mom
02-25-2004, 06:37 PM
There will be a test for all the non-Texans, so study hard.

Beaumont to El Paso : 742 miles

Beaumont to Chicago : 770 miles

World's first rodeo was in Pecos ... July 4, 1883

The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.

The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full time coach for Rice University, Houston.

Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.

Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.

Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.

The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a hurricane in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.

The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston."

El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.

Laredo is the world's largest inland port.

Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden with over 38,000 bushes with 500 varieties on 22 acres.

The State shell is Lightning Whelk.

The King Ranch is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours,in and around Alvin in July 1979.

Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as
the US flag.)

A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.

Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr in Dr Pepper.

Texas has had six capital cities ...

1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
2. Harrisburg
3. Galveston
4. Velasco
5. West Columbia
6. Austin

The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. that is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (by 7 feet).

The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaning friends.

Tejas is not Spanics for Texas.

The State animal is the Armadillo. *

The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston .

*An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies! They have one egg, which splits into four, and they either have
four males or four females.

sinton66
02-25-2004, 07:50 PM
The Live oak tree near Fulton is called "The Big Tree" and is the largest in diameter in the state.

Old Cardinal
02-25-2004, 08:09 PM
That's interesting, Sabine Lake(12.5 long and 5 miles wide) is a natural lake, however.

JasperDog94
02-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Ranger Mom, that's the second thing you've posted the day after I got it through email. eek! eek! We must know somebody in common or something. :p :p

Ranger Mom
02-26-2004, 12:42 PM
JasperDog94:
Ranger Mom, that's the second thing you've posted the day after I got it through email. eek! eek! We must know somebody in common or something. :p :p You never know!!

It seems the older I get, the more I understand the phrase, "It's a small world"!!

onfirebball05mustang
02-26-2004, 09:57 PM
wow, after a long day of school, staying until 730 for a course fair to target incoming freshman, and then coming home to get ready for tomorrow, I learned my one new thing today: there is no period after dr in Dr Pepper- Thanks Ranger Mom!

pakrat
02-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Old 6th grade geography quiz: Is it closer to travel from Texarkana to ElPaso or from Texarkana to Chicago. The answer is of course, Chicago.

bccards
02-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Ranger Mom:
There will be a test for all the non-Texans, so study hard.

Beaumont to El Paso : 742 miles
Want to know what's funny Ranger Mom?? There's one of those miliage signs, you know the ones that say.. Beaumont 10 Houston 95.. in Orange, heading West right after the state line, is one of those miliage signs that says... El Paso 823 or whatever miles that there is to El Paso.. I don't think there's another El Paso sign between Orange and Houston. Now, Last time I came through I10 via West Texas.. I'm ashamed of TxDot for not putting Orange 823 or at least state line, lol!

Jacket2000
02-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Wanna know somethin' else cool? When Austin was voted to be the state capital, it was between Austin and one other town; a little map dot called Bristol, about 15 miles outta Ennis and the hometown of J2K. Legend has it, that Bristol woulda been the capital, but it sits right on the Trinity river, and when the vote was held, the river had flooded so folks in Bristol couldn't get to the polls.
J2K

Wildcat81
02-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Texas has had six different flags to fly over it.
and it also was a foreign country.