PDA

View Full Version : District 4-3A honors

injuredinmelee
12-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Bulldogs, Mustangs nab 4-3A honors
Wylie's Keenum is district MVP

By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
December 13, 2005

He started for three seasons, won a state championship and earned a Division-I scholarship. But Wylie quarterback Case Keenum's high school football career wasn't made complete until Monday, when he was named the District 4-3A Most Valuable Player.

Being named the district's MVP doesn't ease the sting of Wylie's first playoff loss in two years for Keenum, but the award is just another memento that will remind him of his Bulldog teammates forever.

''The entire year was great,'' Keenum said. ''We had an awesome team on and off the field and there were bonds that were formed that will live on forever. It wasn't the perfect way to end my senior season, but it was pretty dang close.''

Wylie and Sweetwater dominated the all-district voting, filling 21 of the 29 slots on the district's first team.

Keenum was joined in the superlative category by teammate Jared Robertson (Defensive MVP), Snyder's Matt Reigh (Offensive MVP), Curtis Kevil of Clyde (Offensive Newcomer of the Year) and Sweetwater's Rufus McCann (Defensive Newcomer of the Year).

Keenum, Reigh and Robertson were all unanimous selections by the district's coaches.

''It's an honor,'' Keenum said. ''We had a close district and a lot of the guys played hard. It was a really competitive district race, and I think that brought out the best in all of us.''

Wylie's Britton Barbee and Gary Edwards were joined by Sweetwater's Brittan Pittman as the only first-team selections on both offense and defense.

''It's a really big honor for me, especially out of our district,'' Pittman said. ''Knowing that the coaches thought I was good and believed in me is just a great honor.''

Barbee was the only player to be a unanimous selection on both sides of the ball.

''It's a big honor because we have the toughest district in the state,'' he said. ''I really don't know what to say, it's just a big honor.''

Sweetwater, the team that made the deepest playoff run from the district, led the way with 12 first-team selections, not including McCann's Defensive Newcomer of the Year honor.

''We're proud of all those kids,'' Sweetwater coach Kent Jackson said. ''Any time you can set yourself apart to earn another coach's vote in this district, it's an honor.''

The Mustangs fell a game short of playing for a state championship, losing 32-19 to Tatum on Saturday. Sweetwater offensive tackle Taylor Jones, noseguard Casey Toland, defensive end Russell Clayton and linebacker Justin Adames were all unanimous first-team selections, along with kicker Parker Morrow.

Wylie, which made the district's second longest playoff run, was also second in All-District selections with nine. Those nine didn't count Keenum or Robertson, as winners of individual awards aren't placed on the all-district teams.

Guard Sam Eidson joined Barbee as Wylie's unanimous first-team selections.

Snyder, the district's other playoff team, had two first-team selections on each side of the ball. Running back D'White Wells and offensive guard Chase Ashworth were Snyder's offensive first-team players, while teammates Tyler Driggers and Chris Smith represented the Tigers' Black Curtain Defense.

Clyde and Merkel each had a pair of first-team selections.

The Badgers were represented by linebacker Tanner Pape and punter Trevor Hood. Russell Liles and Curtis Brown represented Clyde on the first-team.

''It means a lot,'' Liles said. ''It is quite an honor to get it, especially with all the athletes in this district.''

Jackson, Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer and Snyder coach Chad Rogers all shared Coach of the Year honors after their teams finished in a three-way tie for the district crown.

2005 All-District 4-3A Football

MVP: Case Keenum, Sr., QB, Wylie

Offensive MVP: Matt Reigh, Sr., QB, Snyder

Defensive MVP: Jared Robertson, Sr., Wylie

Offensive Newcomer: Curtis Kevil, So., Clyde

Defensive Newcomer: Rufus McCann, Fr., Sweetwater

Coach of the Year: Chad Rogers, Snyder; Kent Jackson, Sweetwater; Hugh Sandifer, Wylie

FIRST TEAM

Offense

Quarterback: Sonny Birdwell, Sr., Sweetwater

Fullback: Auston Davis, So., Sweetwater

Running backs: D'White Wells, Sr., Snyder; Joseph Banyard, Jr., Sweetwater; Gary Edwards, Jr., Wylie

Flanker: Russell Liles, Sr., Clyde

Receiver: Brittan Pittman, Sr., Sweetwater

Tight end: Matt Smith, Jr., Wylie

Center: Luis Gonzales, Sr., Wylie

Guards: Sam Eidson, Sr., Wylie; Brandan Fangman, Sr., Sweetwater; Chase Ashworth, Sr., Snyder

Tackles: Taylor Jones, Sr., Sweetwater; Brittan Barbee, Sr., Wylie

Defense

Noseguard: Casey Toland, Sr., Sweetwater

Tackles: Brittan Barbee, Sr., Wylie; Tyler Driggers, Jr., Snyder

Ends: Russell Clayton, Sr., Sweetwater; Curtis Brown, Sr., Clyde

Linebackers: Justin Adames, Jr., Sweetwater; Chris Smith, Sr., Snyder; Tanner Pape, Sr., Merkel; Jacob Jennings, Sr., Wylie

Cornerbacks: Justin Rodriguez, Jr., Sweetwater; Gary Edwards, Jr., Wylie

Strong safety: Austin Sayre, Sr., Wylie

Free safety: Brittan Pittman, Sr., Sweetwater

Kicker: Parker Morrow, Sr., Sweetwater

Punter: Trevor Hood, Sr., Merkel

SECOND TEAM

Offense

Quarterback: Jacob Agnew, Sr., Clyde

Fullback: Zack Maxey, Sr., Merkel

Running backs: Will Clay, So., Snyder; Scotty Shipman, Sr., Merkel; Skye Green, Jr., Sweetwtater

Flanker: Josh Davis, Sr., Wylie

Receiver: Dustyn Williams, Sr., Snyder

Tight end: Russell Clayton, Sr., Sweetwater

Center: Lance Clark, Sr., Sweetwater

Guards: Nathan Chastain, Jr., Clyde

Tackles: Clynt Moyers, Jr., Clyde; John Birks, Sr., Snyder

Defense

Noseguard: Nathan Chastain, Jr., Clyde

Tackles: Brandon Bugarin, Fr., Sweetwater; Jared Akers, Jr., Clyde

Ends: Brandan Fangman, Sr., Sweetwater; Alberto Florez, Jr., Snyder

Linebackers: Wes Liles, So. Clyde; Zack Maxey, Sr., Merkel; Joseph Banyard, Jr., Sweetwater; Zac Taylor, Sr., Wylie

Cornerbacks: Jeremy Torrez, Sr., Snyder; Russell Liles, Sr., Clyde

Strong safety: Eric Martinez, Sr., Snyder

Free safety: Mario Gonzales, Sr., Merkel

Kicker: Steven Stroh, Sr., Clyde

Punter: Steven Stroh, Sr., Clyde

Contact sports writer Jason Weddle at weddlej@reporternews.com or 676-6771

injuredinmelee
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
looks like everyone in the district that had a starting position made the team.

The only change I would make in the MVP honors would be Austin Sayre as Defensive MVP.

mustang04
12-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Bulldogs, Mustangs nab 4-3A honors
Wylie's Keenum is district MVP

By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
December 13, 2005

Sweetwater, the team that made the deepest playoff run from the district,

Wylie, which made the district's second longest playoff run,

Snyder, the district's other playoff team,
hahahaha i LOVE IT!!!! "snyder, the districts OTHER playoff team" hahahahah yall are just the OTHER hahaha:clap: :clap: :D

Whsdogs
12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
looks like everyone in the district that had a starting position made the team.

The only change I would make in the MVP honors would be Austin Sayre as Defensive MVP.

i think so too..