PDA

View Full Version : Students cited for drinking at Calallen victory party

tap_tx_sinton
12-12-2005, 08:59 PM
CALALLEN - A controversy is brewing in Calallen after the sheriff's department busted a huge party where underage drinking was going on. Some parents complained that football players at the party weren't taken in, because they're scheduled to play in the state championship game next Saturday. But authorities said they tried to round up as many of the students as possible.

Calallen's big win against Brenham was a reason to celebrate. One victory party at a Calallen home early Sunday morning got loud enough for the law to break it up.

"Our officers came upon the scene and rounded up as many as we could," said Sheriff's Deputy Jimmy Rodriguez. Investigators said they issued 31 underage drinking citations at the home. One 17-year-old was arrested for providing alcohol to minors. Calallen head football coach Phil Danaher said he has talking to his team.

"There's word that they were there. Not that they were involved in any drinking or anything like that, but they had shown up," said Danaher. "I don't know how long they were there."

After the party was busted, the sheriff's deputies called dozens of parents. They all showed up here to get their kids. But many said they quickly began to realize the football players at this party got preferential treatment, while their kids got ticketed."

None of those parents wanted to go on camera, but the sheriff's department said they had no way of knowing who was on the team and who wasn't.

"I know there's going to be all kinds of speculation, and our football players are treated no different than anyone else," Danaher said. He added, if any player did get a drinking citation, they would not be able to play in Saturday's championship game.

pirate4state
12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by tap_tx_sinton
..."There's word that they were there. Not that they were involved in any drinking or anything like that, but they had shown up," said Danaher. "I don't know how long they were there." ... Now that is FUNNY!!! :hand: :rolleyes: I'm not saying that these kids were drinking, but c'mon...

HillBoy
12-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Man i can't even tell you how many parties I have been at that have been busted. And i don't think anyone ever got a ticket just their parents were called and we had to go home.

99IHSMustang
12-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Of Course they got preferential treatement... I mean c'mon. The fact that the Sheriff said he didn't know who were the football players and who weren't is rediculous. I bet half of them had there letterman jacket on with all the football patches... lol

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2005, 11:14 PM
you gotta remember where the party was held at. . . :nerd: :nerd: says it all :D

Old Tiger
12-12-2005, 11:14 PM
That is the party I'm glad I wasn't at but it would of been fun

RMAC
12-12-2005, 11:33 PM
This is a load of crap. Give them tickets. Give any kid that is caught there an MIP. It doesn't matter if they had any or were drinking or not. It's called guilty by association. I can say this because I've been issued one of these citations and let me say first hand that they are no fun. Did I learn from my mistake? Yes and no. I do still do it, but not nearly as often and not with a whole bunch of people. If you're going to have a party w/ alcohol and underaged kids, go out in the country where there are no neighbors that have to call the cops. Just think about what you're doing.

lepfan
12-12-2005, 11:47 PM
I know a bunch of kids that went to such a party....deputies showed up and spent the night at the gate...anyone leaving would be cited....but anyone staying would not....kept the drinkers off the roads and kept the players out of trouble!!!! Had the deputies gone in and given tickets most of the players would have been off the team....sooooooo...... They went on to win state the next weekend!!

GreenGobbla
12-12-2005, 11:51 PM
thats what im talking about....just kinda wondering why i didnt get invited...jk, thats funny though

pirate4state
12-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
If you're going to have a party w/ alcohol and underaged kids, go out in the country where there are no neighbors that have to call the cops. Just think about what you're doing. They were out in the "country" :eek: thinking & teenagers don't mix :evillaugh

I guess I shouldn't lump them all in there. :p :thinking:

sinfan75
12-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
I know a bunch of kids that went to such a party....deputies showed up and spent the night at the gate...anyone leaving would be cited....but anyone staying would not....kept the drinkers off the roads and kept the players out of trouble!!!! Had the deputies gone in and given tickets most of the players would have been off the team....sooooooo...... They went on to win state the next weekend!! Now that's how to handle something like that. Let the kids have their fun, just don't let em leave. Saves on a lot of paper work and a lot of pissed off parents. Sometimes the law can get alittle over-zealous in makin arrests just to make the newspapers.

3afan
12-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
.... Let the kids have their fun, just don't let em leave. Saves on a lot of paper work and a lot of pissed off parents. Sometimes the law can get alittle over-zealous in makin arrests just to make the newspapers.

despite the fact that underage drinking is against the law an inherently dangerous?

bulldogbark
12-13-2005, 08:42 AM
yeah lets let the kids drink themselves silly as long as they are having fun. You know kids will be kids. so why even try to put some sence into them.......heck lets provide a place for them to drink. heck lets provide them with more than alcohol their just kids learning. and who in the world would think underage drinking would become a law????

come on people lets get some sence about us. I dont think I would want my under age son or daughter drinking at a party even if it was way out in the country. but thats me.

neck_94
12-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by tap_tx_sinton ....many said they quickly began to realize the football players at this party got preferential treatment, while their kids got ticketed." [/B]

Well, seems to me these "other kids" should be playing football.

football4life
12-13-2005, 08:54 AM
...Or you could just not go drink at all, right?? I've never really understood how going out and getting drunk off your butt and possibly getting arrested and cited could be much fun. :rolleyes:

neck_06
12-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by neck_94
Well, seems to me these "other kids" should be playing football.

EXACTLY

neck_06
12-13-2005, 09:00 AM
in my opinion, the drinking age should be lowered, or the age that you can join the army should be raised. in my opinion, if you can go to war and come back without a limb, you should be able to drink. not saying that drinking is right, i'm just saying that something isn't adding up.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

JustAFan
12-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
in my opinion, the drinking age should be lowered, or the age that you can join the army should be raised. in my opinion, if you can go to war and come back without a limb, you should be able to drink.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I think if you enlist in the military at 18, you should be able to drink at 18, but if you don't join, you have no right to cry about the differences in the age for enlisting and the age for drinking.

big daddy russ
12-13-2005, 09:05 AM
This thread reminded me of a thread from a while back about German exchange students living in LaGrange.

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
...Other differences include school scheduling and social customs, such as drinking ages and driver's licenses....

On the topic of age limit for drinking alcohol and driving, the Germans decided their system is better.

"I think that learning to handle drinking before you start driving works," Hamdi said. "And I understand there are people here that drink and then drive, which is hard to believe. But that really doesn't happen in Germany because no one drives that much anyway. They just walk or take the bus."...

Here you go (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27738&highlight=exchange+student)

By the way, I completely agree with the above statements. Give the kids a responsible attitude towards drinking before giving them a set of keys. I'd have no problem with the government lowering the drinking age to 16.

neck_06
12-13-2005, 09:05 AM
I think if you enlist in the military at 18, you should be able to drink at 18, but if you don't join, you have no right to cry about the differences in the age for enlisting and the age for drinking.

is that not what i just said?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

JustAFan
12-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
is that not what i just said?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

No, you said the ages should be changed so that drinking is legal at the same age that enlistment is legal. I said it should only be changed for those who enlist and for the rest (non-military) drinking age remains at 21.

neck_06
12-13-2005, 09:23 AM
ok so i left out a few words

:doh:

Phil C
12-13-2005, 09:32 AM
That was foolish of the football players to take a chance when the biggest football game in school history is about to begin. That (preferential treatment) wouldn't have happened on our side (San Patricio) of the river no matter who you were. Come on Calallen football players. You only have one more week to go to the biggest game ever in your history. Keep your composure.

http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Old_School=composure.wav

neck_06
12-13-2005, 09:40 AM
West Columbia would have done the same thing if we were in the state game, FOOTBALL IS KING!

;) ;) ;) ;)

neck_94
12-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Thankfully WC would not have that problem. We are blessed with athletes that choose not to break the law and drink underage.

bulldogbark
12-13-2005, 09:48 AM
drinking age on military posts is 18 however since the post is a federal entity the age to purchase hard liqure is 21. so you can drink on post at 18. At FT Bragg NC we had a sign that read we save lives when we deploy. People tought that was about how we go over to Iraq and save lives but it was ment to let people know that we had more deaths from drunk driving , drunk swimming or just alcohal related deaths that we had deaths in iraq that is a shame.

neck_06
12-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Thankfully WC would not have that problem. We are blessed with athletes that choose not to break the law and drink underage.

EXACTLY, we are good citizens here in West Columbia

fastkid75
12-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Now that's how to handle something like that. Let the kids have their fun, just don't let em leave. Saves on a lot of paper work and a lot of pissed off parents. Sometimes the law can get alittle over-zealous in makin arrests just to make the newspapers.

Are you kidding me...That is really smart on the Sheriff's department. Lets tie up our officers standing guard at the gate all night while we allow these underage drinkers to continue to drink themselves to oblivion while I ALLOW IT! Give me a break. Hold the gate for the ambulance and the defense attorneys because they are haulin' out a dead kid and a good lawsuit on the county. I am not saying that either way is right or wrong, been there myself... on both sides before... but there is a reason they made the legal drinking age where it is and if the Sheriff's Dept. does not uphold that if they are aware of it, they are opening themselves up for a huge lawsuit when one of those kids outdrinks themselves and does not wake up in the morning.

neck_06
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by fastkid75
Are you kidding me...That is really smart on the Sheriff's department. Lets tie up our officers standing guard at the gate all night while we allow these underage drinkers to continue to drink themselves to oblivion while I ALLOW IT! Give me a break. Hold the gate for the ambulance and the defense attorneys because they are haulin' out a dead kid and a good lawsuit on the county. I am not saying that either way is right or wrong, been there myself... on both sides before... but there is a reason they made the legal drinking age where it is and if the Sheriff's Dept. does not uphold that if they are aware of it, they are opening themselves up for a huge lawsuit when one of those kids outdrinks themselves and does not wake up in the morning.

you don't get out much do you

scrub c
12-13-2005, 02:05 PM
must be a binge drinker

big daddy russ
12-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but they're going to find a way to drink one way or the other. If they really want to do it they'll find a way, no matter how bad daddy disapproves.

Oh, and if the cops had busted down the party there would be a drunk kid or two or ten that got away and got out on the road. My buddies in HS would run away then go start another party somewhere else. Half the kids who had just got MIP's (who were old enough that their parents didn't have to pick them up) would just leave that party and go to the next.

mustang04
12-13-2005, 03:30 PM
ok.....the kids are going to drink....i never drank in highschool, EVER, hell i didnt get drunk until my second semestyer of college, but i have had a couple of parties at my house and i live on a ranch, what i do is once everyone shows up that i have invited, i take their keys, and go down and shut and lock my gate, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DRINK...i mean hell, look at the prohibition act, the govt thought they were doing something smart and look what it lead to, street gangs and leaders liek al capone, who bootlegged alcohol in the underground clubs....THEY found a way to keep drinking, and so will minors, so really its a matter of where they do it, and honestly, i'd rather be drunk on my land 15 miles in the country with the gate locked rather than in town where u have neighbors and no real control over who leaves and comes...my 2 cents

pirate4state
12-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
ok.....the kids are going to drink....i never drank in highschool, EVER, hell i didnt get drunk until my second semestyer of college, but i have had a couple of parties at my house and i live on a ranch, what i do is once everyone shows up that i have invited, i take their keys, and go down and shut and lock my gate, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DRINK...i mean hell, look at the prohibition act, the govt thought they were doing something smart and look what it lead to, street gangs and leaders liek al capone, who bootlegged alcohol in the underground clubs....THEY found a way to keep drinking, and so will minors, so really its a matter of where they do it, and honestly, i'd rather be drunk on my land 15 miles in the country with the gate locked rather than in town where u have neighbors and no real control over who leaves and comes...my 2 cents

Party at Reggie's!!! :eek: :p :D ;) :evillaugh

mustang04
12-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Party at Reggie's!!! :eek: :p :D ;) :evillaugh

im workin on it hahaha

AP Panther Fan
12-13-2005, 05:38 PM
im workin on it hahaha

I want a bonfire too, so chop-chop! :D

mustang04
12-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I want a bonfire too, so chop-chop! :D thats actually what we do every time...have a bonfire, HUGE tent set up, they pet my dogs, or my cows haha and its really a good ole' time!

Bullaholic
12-13-2005, 05:44 PM
thats actually what we do every time...have a bonfire, HUGE tent set up, they pet my dogs, or my cows haha and its really a good ole' time!

04', are you a college student or a bedouin? :D

mustang04
12-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
04', are you a college student or a bedouin? :D

im a college guy, not an arab...CLOSE tho!!:D

why do u ask...i know what a bedouin is

Bullaholic
12-13-2005, 05:49 PM
im a college guy, not an arab...CLOSE tho!!:D

why do u ask...i know what a bedouin is

fire+tent+dogs+cows---Sounds like something out of "Lawrence of Arabia". Maybe you could come up with some belly dancers.

mustang04
12-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
fire+tent+dogs+cows---Sounds like something out of "Lawrence of Arabia". Maybe you could come up with some belly dancers.

hahah...ACTUALLY.....i know a couple of girls who can belly dance and are AWESOME at it....wow, how crazy!!...u wanna come??

Bullaholic
12-13-2005, 05:54 PM
hahah...ACTUALLY.....i know a couple of girls who can belly dance and are AWESOME at it....wow, how crazy!!...u wanna come??

Sure---I can be the old sheik. The closest I came to this was "back in the day" at the frat house "toga" parties---Reg, I "lived" the movie "Animal House".

AP Panther Fan
12-13-2005, 05:55 PM
lol...leave you guys alone for a second and see how your mind wanders...:rolleyes: ;) :D

mustang04
12-13-2005, 06:01 PM
hey....when they made animal house, it was before i even existed, the day i was born.....they SLAPPED themselves in the face for not waiting on me:D :doh:

mustang04
12-13-2005, 06:06 PM
well..i have to go to the YMCA to instruct the basketball clinic...ILL BE BACK!!!

AP Panther Fan
12-13-2005, 06:10 PM
well..i have to go to the YMCA to instruct the basketball clinic...ILL BE BACK!!!

Go have some fun dribbling.... ;) :D

SintonFan
12-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Go have some fun dribbling.... ;) :D
I could swear both those guys were dribbling all over themselves about college a few posts up.:evillaugh

sinfan75
12-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
yeah lets let the kids drink themselves silly as long as they are having fun. You know kids will be kids. so why even try to put some sence into them.......heck lets provide a place for them to drink. heck lets provide them with more than alcohol their just kids learning. and who in the world would think underage drinking would become a law????

come on people lets get some sence about us. I dont think I would want my under age son or daughter drinking at a party even if it was way out in the country. but thats me. I figured I get some type of response like this. I never said it was ok, I just meant if they ARE drinking make them stay where they are so they don't get out on the roads and maybe KILL someone or THEMSELVES. geez

rockdale80
12-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Let me just say this: If my dad would have caught me drinking in high school I am not sure I would be here today. I would compare it to the fear of god.:)

HillBoy
12-14-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm never drinking again after last night(yah it was one of those nights). And now I have to write a paper.

neck_06
12-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by HillBoy
I'm never drinking again after last night(yah it was one of those nights). And now I have to write a paper.

OK :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HillBoy
12-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Are you graduating this year neck? You going to play anywhere.

HillBoy
Are you graduating this year neck? You going to play anywhere?

HillBoy

neck_06
12-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by HillBoy

yeah, i'm a senior, and yes, i'm going to pitch for the baseball team @ Texas A&M

fastkid75
12-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but they're going to find a way to drink one way or the other. If they really want to do it they'll find a way, no matter how bad daddy disapproves.

Oh, and if the cops had busted down the party there would be a drunk kid or two or ten that got away and got out on the road. My buddies in HS would run away then go start another party somewhere else. Half the kids who had just got MIP's (who were old enough that their parents didn't have to pick them up) would just leave that party and go to the next.

I think you all are missing my point and I am not as naive as you think I am. I had 3 MIP's in my day and lucky it was not any worse. I dont know of a party that I missed. There really is not a good way of doing it. I am a BIG advocate of not drinking and driving. But, there are certain other liabilities that adults can open themselves up to. Worst off are cops that would knowingly allow kids to drink. I was a deputy once and did my share of being the good guy and making the kids pour out their drinks and move along after I checked for sober drivers. I know that they went on down the road to the next party (that is what I would have done) but nothing was going to come back and bite me. Guarding the gate and knowingly allow kids to drink opens yourself up to big liabilities, just like a parent letting kids drink at their house as long as kids turned in their keys and spent the night. Great until the parent goes to bed and one sneaks out for a booty call and gets arrested or killed. Then the parent faces a whole hella lot more than an MIP.

All I am saying is we are better off in this "sue happy" day and time of going back to the old school and letting them do what they want until they get caught. BUT, when they do get caught, regardless of what team they play on or who their daddy is, they must face the consequences...like I had to! It wouldn't be fun if we didn't have these fun stories to tell the grandkids somneday, right?

neck_06
12-14-2005, 09:53 AM
I think you all are missing my point and I am not as naive as you think I am. I had 3 MIP's in my day and lucky it was not any worse. I dont know of a party that I missed. There really is not a good way of doing it. I am a BIG advocate of not drinking and driving. But, there are certain other liabilities that adults can open themselves up to. Worst off are cops that would knowingly allow kids to drink. I was a deputy once and did my share of being the good guy and making the kids pour out their drinks and move along after I checked for sober drivers. I know that they went on down the road to the next party (that is what I would have done) but nothing was going to come back and bite me. Guarding the gate and knowingly allow kids to drink opens yourself up to big liabilities, just like a parent letting kids drink at their house as long as kids turned in their keys and spent the night. Great until the parent goes to bed and one sneaks out for a booty call and gets arrested or killed. Then the parent faces a whole hella lot more than an MIP.

All I am saying is we are better off in this "sue happy" day and time of going back to the old school and letting them do what they want until they get caught. BUT, when they do get caught, regardless of what team they play on or who their daddy is, they must face the consequences...like I had to! It wouldn't be fun if we didn't have these fun stories to tell the grandkids somneday, right?

i really think that people are making too big of a deal about this. this sort of thing happens everyday in life. life isn't fair.

mustangsince87
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
well ya know what i love to get drunk and im underage and kids do all the time you'll never stop us

mustangsince87
12-14-2005, 10:22 AM

ok dude who cares how many mips you've had ive had 2 mip's and a DWI so stop cryin

44INAROW
12-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by mustangsince87
well ya know what i love to get drunk and im underage and kids do all the time you'll never stop us

parents' nightmare:(

mustangsince87
12-14-2005, 10:30 AM

Phil C
12-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Kids and Audults as well. I won't get moral with you since that is another issue but never drive a car if you have been drinking or taking drugs. And don't ride with someone who is driving that has been drinking or taking drugs.

fastkid75
12-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
parents' nightmare:(

NIghtmare is putting it nicely. Sounds like the kid has other issues. His day will come. He will be one of the unfortunate ones in TDCJ for Felony DWI's... if he is lucky and not kill himself or anyone else.

We are impressed... see you at jury duty!

District303aPastPlayer
12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
NIghtmare is putting it nicely. Sounds like the kid has other issues. His day will come. He will be one of the unfortunate ones in TDCJ for Felony DWI's... if he is lucky and not kill himself or anyone else.

We are impressed... see you at jury duty!

if we dont see him in the obits first

fastkid75
12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by mustangsince87
ok dude who cares how many mips you've had ive had 2 mip's and a DWI so stop cryin

Once again, my point is, like others have made... go ahead and build a prison in Sweetwater. It will not only add to their growing industrial boom, but they will also need a place to house all of the losers like this guy! Tell Cellmate Bubba we said hello.

Maroon87
12-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Here's my take on this situation...Interestingly enough, I was visiting my dad in Calallen the last few days when this news broke, and he lives maybe 2 miles from where this happened. I grew up in Calallen, went to school from K-12 there. Played football there. I can tell you without too much of an exaggeration that there have been, literally, thousands of parties just like this one in the area over the years. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying it's a fact. I myself was at quite a few in my day. A good portion of these parties got busted by the sherriff and resulted in the handing out of numerous MIPs. This is probably the first time that one of them have been the lead story on the 10pm news. I'm guessing if we'd lost, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. I don't want to play the "blame the media" card, because underage drinking, and the providing of alcohol to minors, is illegal, but good ol' KIII-TV was falling all over themselves to get that story on the air.:rolleyes:

District303aPastPlayer
12-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Here's my take on this situation...Interestingly enough, I was visiting my dad in Calallen the last few days when this news broke, and he lives maybe 2 miles from where this happened. I grew up in Calallen, went to school from K-12 there. Played football there. I can tell you without too much of an exaggeration that there have been, literally, thousands of parties just like this one in the area over the years. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying it's a fact. I myself was at quite a few in my day. A good portion of these parties got busted by the sherriff and resulted in the handing out of numerous MIPs. This is probably the first time that one of them have been the lead story on the 10pm news. I'm guessing if we'd lost, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. I don't want to play the "blame the media" card, because underage drinking, and the providing of alcohol to minors, is illegal, but good ol' KIII-TV was falling all over themselves to get that story on the air.:rolleyes:

no offense, but ya'll are the media darlings of corpus. a newspaper article on the sports page for every day of the playoffs. . even the weekend...

Maroon87
12-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
no offense, but ya'll are the media darlings of corpus. a newspaper article on the sports page for every day of the playoffs. . even the weekend...

I don't know if we always have been, but we definitely are now...for various reasons.:rolleyes: :D

pirate4state
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I don't want to play the "blame the media" card, because underage drinking, and the providing of alcohol to minors, is illegal, but good ol' KIII-TV was falling all over themselves to get that story on the air.:rolleyes: Welcome to the club. If something remotely questionable happens involving SISD they make it the lead story. :rolleyes: